Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
imkay

Re: Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Soup

Post by imkay »

oh yum yum yum!!! can't wait to try this one out on my kids!! they are going to love it!!! thanks again mary! you rock!! :D
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

This looks wonderful, Mary! 

Now, this mustard powder - is that Dry Mustard?  It doesn't sound like it... let me know so that if I have to buy something special, I will.  Dry Mustand is quite hot - it's what I use when I want to make Chinese type mustard.

I've been sitting here thinking of what to make for this week's soup, and this soundsl like it will fit the bill!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Thanks, Mary - you betcha I will!

Today is a grocery store day (ick), so I will buy a head of cauliflower - I believe I have everything else.

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
TNangela

Post by TNangela »

Mary, I will take that a challenge!!  Not doubling for my family!! That's funny actually.  It seems as if I always automatically double a recipe and my kids say I am mathematically challenged!!!  I say I am not just think the ABCs and the numerical systems need to stay separate...algebra seems wrong!!
I will try this thanks Mary
ANG
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Mmmm....made this yesterday with some minor variations and it was SO good. I added 2 extra cups of water and used veggie broth instead of chicken, and doubled the pepper, Italian seasoning and dry mustard, and then I tossed in about a tablespoon of nutritional yeast flakes. (find them in bulk at the HFS. This is not brewer's yeast or baker's yeast. Nutritional yeast also gives things a "cheesy" taste and can be used in lots of things. It's most famous for being used to make Uncheeze with tofu from a popular vegan cookbook line. Lots of recipes on the VegSource boards. ) I blended up the whole pot with the stick blender and it was wonderful. Almost like a creamy potato soup. Looking forward to more of it today! Thanks, Mary. nyKath
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

Incredible!  I cannot believe this is a "bean soup."  I personally have nothing against bean soups, but I am finding that many of these recipes taste nothing like beans and yet they contain quite a few beans.  This is a good soup, everybody. 
imkay

Post by imkay »

this stuff is awesome!!! it made the house smell great too!  my husband loved it so much he decide that he is going to start doing Let's Do Lunch with me too!!!  (please pray for him!)  i made it just as directed but i added a grilled chicken breast to his for lunch tomorrow.  i love that beans can taste like cream!  why doesn't everyone eat like this??????!!!!!!!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

My Honey is visiting her friend in California so she made this soup (both ways) for me while she was gone. I will be having a bowl of each (one smoothed)! Can't wait! She also made the beefy chicken. But to night is soup and salad!

God bless you and yours,

Gregg
Grammasuz

Post by Grammasuz »

Where in California is your honey visiting Gregg? You know Joe, Delia, Veronica and I are meeting at Olive Garden this Sunday in Santa Ana.  Would love more LDL'rs to come join us.
Last edited by Grammasuz on November 3rd, 2006, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

I made this soup today for lunch! Mmmmmm, good, on a chilly NY day! :)  .....NYKath
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Grammasuz wrote:Where in California is your honey visiting Gregg? You know Joe, Delia, Veronica and I are meeting at Olive Garden this Sunday in Santa Ana.  Would love more LDL'rs to come join us.

She is in the San Diego area. Her best friend moved out there a few years ago and paid for a round trip ticket for my wife's birthday (Nov.13).
abbys mom

Help - Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Soup

Post by abbys mom »

Help!  I made Mary's Creamy Cauliflower Cheese soup last Friday and it turned out perfect.  I pureed only the beans so I could still have some cauliflower & broccoli florets in the soup.  I made it again last night and boiled my own chick peas and the soup came out "chalky" or not smooth.

Does anyone know what could have happened?  This is the first time I cooked by own chick peas, were they too done or not cooked enough?

Many thanks for the help!
Kathy
niki
Administrator

Re: Help - Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Soup

Post by niki »

abbys mom wrote: boiled my own chick peas and the soup came out "chalky" or not smooth.
Does anyone know what could have happened?  This is the first time I cooked by own chick peas, were they too done or not cooked enough?

you have to tell me how long you cooked the chick peas and how long you usually cook the canned ones...AND, how you pureed them....i have that stick thing that i just stick in the pot and never have a problem pureeing ANY beans wether they're canned or dried....
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
abbys mom

Post by abbys mom »

I pre-cooked the chick peas where I boiled them for about 15 minutes and shut them off for the day (before I left for work in the AM).  Then when I got home, I cooked them for maybe another 15-30 minutes.  Then I did cooked the "soup" the same as I did before (about 10 mins to blend the flavors).

They were pureed using the blender.  Thanks for any help!

Kathy
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Mary, This soup sounds so good.  First, I make split pea, then Creamy Cauliflower.  Maybe do both on Saturday, so I'll have my meal for Sunday after Church.  The Bob Evans Farm Festival is this week-end, and my hubby will be dipping icecream for Rotary, and when he gets home, he would love the hot soup.  I'll get to use my Vita Mix- I just love it- to do the beans. What is the stick that Niki uses.  I'll leave some of the cauliflower chunky.  I didn't know that about dried mustrad.  Thanks for the good tips, Joyful Friend
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Not Mary or Nikki, but one of the best small kitchen appliances for this way of eating is a hand held immersion blender.  I use it to make the blended soups almost daily (especially during cold weather).  Mine is a Braun that someone gave me to blend formula when my first child was born....I didn't use it for about 13 years except maybe to blend orange juice and things like that.  Then, when I started LDL and read how Mary uses it to blend soups....well, the rest is history.  I think mine may actually need replacing as I often imagine how dangerous it could be if the thing broke (immersed in hot soup).  I saw a really nice looking one for about $30 at Costco the other day.

Blessings,
Julie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

LovinLDL wrote:one of the best small kitchen appliances for this way of eating is a hand held immersion blender....................I didn't use it for about 13 years except maybe to blend orange juice and things like that.  Then, when I started LDL and read how Mary uses it to blend soups....well, the rest is history. 

i ALSO had one that i didn't use for years....my brother gave it to me one year for christmas...i've REALLY gotten my money's worth on this piece of equipment in the last 3 1/2 years since i started on let's do lunch.....it makes pureeing soups SO easy...
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
abbys mom

Post by abbys mom »

Niki & Julie,

Do you think that maybe I didn't cook the chickpeas long enough?  The clear skins were kinda falling off of them.  I really liked this soup the first time.  Maybe I will stick to canned chickpeas for now. 

BTW I also liked my soup a little chunky with the broccoli & Cauliflower.

Have a great Thursday everyone!
Kathy