[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
Let's Do Lunch Community • View topic - Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad

Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad Recipe

Ingredients:

10 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1 pound ripe tomatoes, seeded, cored, and 1/2-inch-diced
1 hothouse cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and 1/2-inch-diced
1 can or jar (12 to 16 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1/3 cup julienned fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil
8 ounces good feta cheese, 1/2-inch-diced
Corn Thins, for serving

Directions:
Place the scallions, tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, parsley, mint, and basil in a large salad bowl and toss to combine.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Slowly whisk in the olive oil to make an emulsion.
Pour the dressing over the salad, tossing gently to coat all the vegetables.
Add the feta, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss gently.
Serve the salad with the corn thins.

the courage to change the one I can,
and the wisdom to know it's me."

"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed.

Profile Send private message  

Well now, this looks yummy!! I love salads and with autumn rushing toward us, I'll make this while it's still warm enough to really enjoy it! Thanks!

Linda,
I used to make this all the time. Thanks for posting and reminding me how much I love it.
It's a great stuffing for zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers and the 'ole faithful, green pepper.
It's one of those receipes you can easily adjust to your taste buds. I never added the cheese. But, now I will try it with the LF blue cheese. Roger got me hooked on that! =))
Zesti

I've bookmarked that one and will make it when the 4 bean salad is gone. Thanks, Linda!
Pam

Pam,
So happy to see you here. I hope all is going well with your rehab. I know your are practicing your patience :ymhug:
Zesti

I just lost this post. It's so VERY irritating!!!

Thanks for your comments. I just got back from therapy. I go three times a week. I am no longer doing pool therapy (which I loved), but am exercising in the gym, which I don't love (but do because they say it's better for me). I am also exercising every day at home. It's too bad that it took a hip repair to get me exercising! I am now back to driving and use my walker only occasionally. I mostly use a cane.

I know for sure that without Let's Do Lunch: 90# weight loss and great nutrition, I would not have done nearly as well. LDL is such a blessing in my life and certainly is instrumental in my recovery.

You are doing well. Congratulations on your weight loss and attitude @};- @};- !

Pam

I made this tonight but didn't have parsley, so I used cilantro. I left out the mint as well and put a little dried basil in it. It was very good and I will make it again soon. I had some chicken salad tonight on rye crisps and it gave me a little indigestion. I don't have any apples around either. Guess I'll have to get some tomorrow. Next time I will add the apples to my salad!!

Omi,
Fresh mint is also good for the digestive system and helps with the indigestion. I had an Indian friend once and he used to have a plant in his garage stall. He chewed it when ever he ate Mexican Food! That always gave him indigestion. I told him it also helped him with his fresh breath.
He always brought in such wonderful curries from home. I miss those curries...I stole a piece of a mint plant and put it in a pot outside. It will grows like a weed and will take over the garden if it's not contained.
You know I love it in my cucumber and apple smoothies.
Zesti

Zesti,
What about dried mint? I buy it an international store near us. Can I use it in salads and smoothies?

Pat

Pat, Absoulutley! I dry my own from my plant for the winter months when the plant doesn't produce as much. It's wonderful in a cucumber and green apple smoothie.
Always remember. The longer the dry spice/herb sits on your shelf, the less flavor it has. I always rub between my palms and sniff before adding to pot. It tells me to add a little or add a lot.
Zesti

Wonderful!! Thanks, Zesti. I've never had a cucumber, apple smoothie, but it sounds refreshing and our weather prognosticators say we're in for a week or more of mid 90's. How do you make that smoothie?

Pat

Zesti, thanks for the tip, I am going through my spice cabinet and pare down. That mint I was looking for is probably 15 yrs. old. lol =))

Pat,
I have found that using the Granny Smith apples gives it a much crisper taste, but when I don't have those in the house. I use any ole apple. If organic, I de-seed and use peel and all, same with the cucumbers. I grow organic..
If you want it really smooth, remove the cuc's seeds. I just jam it all in my ninja and let it rip! I believe you have a vita mix so you won't need to remove anything! :D
Oh, I will use a handful of grapes if I want something sweet. Usually I don't add any sugar/splenda/stevia to my smoothies, sometimes pineapple juice if the fruit doesn't have any taste, but so far for me. This year has been a great year for fruits, especially the peaches...Yummy with mint!
3 cucumbers
2- granny smith apples
4 sprigs fresh mint or dried. If dried, you might have to add more. It's a "too taste thing".
1/4 cup of juice, apple works good too and/or pineapple.
Most the time I don't need the juice as cucumbers provide all the liquid. But sometimes, I do want it sweeter.
And, I don't put ice in my smoothie when I blend them either. I make enough for the whole day, sometimes for the next day so I don't want it watered down. I just pour mine over ice cubes when I am ready to drink it.
I haven't frozen any yet. It's always my intention. but I just end up drinking what I make in a day.
Cucumbers take on the flavor of any other veggie or fruit. I have so many coming in my garden now, it's a good way to use them up. I have already made enough pickles to last us a year!
I have found that, with growing cucumbers. I don't have to purchase so much fruit from the store. They make my smoothies and my food budget go a lot further. That's always a good thing!!
IF I HAD A VITA MIX..haha. I would put the cuc's in whole, add chicken broth and a seasoning I was in the mood for, probably some kind of veggie I needed to use up and push that soup button. I can't wait to get mine.!!
Zesti

You are a doll!! Thanks for all the good information. We're picking our oldest daughter up at the airport in Nashville today and she wants to try all the things I eat on LDL. I know this is one she will love, 'cause she loves smoothies. I love the idea of making a lot and pouring it over ice when you want some. Little Mary always said that having a smoothie a little while before the big meal helps curb your appetite. One thing I always make sure I have plenty of in the hot weather is Gazpacho...cukes, tomatoes, sweet onions, green pepper and garlic. I add a little v-8 and that's it. I put some in a bowl about an hour before I want it and stick it in the freezer to get icy cold. Then I add some Frank's Redhot sauce and pig out!! Talk about satisfying.

I wish I had more of a green thumb. I grow basil and parsley and tomatoes in tubs on the patio and that's about it. I wish I was younger and had the energy of a 20 year old!!!! Oh, well, there are lots of things I can do that a 20 year old can't. :))

Thanks again, Zesti. Talk to you later.

Pat

Patsy,
You don't need acres for a garden. Plant a cucumber and/or tomatoe plant on your patio in pots. I am going to do a lot more of this. The mosquitoes in this area are so bad, it has really discouraged me from gardening. DH has taken the gardening over because of it. I really miss it.
When cucumbers went up to .89 a piece instead of 4 for $1.00. That's when they went in the ground and have stayed there! WE always have too many but we also have neighbors, so that works out. I have a reason to pop in and just say Hi! have some cucumbers!
I am trying to be patient waiting for my Vita Mix to come :-ss :-w :-w
I know with that, the cuc's will be a lot more creamy and you will have add less of any liquid also.
My DH won't drink "chunky" smoothies....
Zesti.

Hi Linda been a long time since I have been on. Gained 20 pounds by just goofing off,now back on plan lost 5 pounds in first week so feeling better already. I like your recipe and will be sure to have some but gotta get some chick peas first. I ate them all lol all the ones I had. judie