Sharing a chocolate story

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
greenglass
New, but learning

Sharing a chocolate story

Post by greenglass »

Hi Everyone,
I have only been on the LDL way of eating for two weeks.  Chocolate (sugar) is my weakness.  Dark chocolate, white chocolate, chocolate cookies, chocolate candy, chocolate brownies, etc.  If they made a chocolate shampoo that made your hair smell like chocolate all day long I would buy it!!!  Okay, I made my point.  I love chocolate!

Anyway, last night I had the opportunity to pick up my college-aged daughter from the airport after she visited a friend in San Francisco.  I drove her back to her college.  It was a 45 minute drive to the airport, an hour to the college, and an hour home in the rain.  I got home at 1 a.m.  All that information was to set the scene:  I was tired and hungry. 

My daughter gave me a basket FULL OF CHOCOLATE as a gift before I left for home!  Yikes!  I thanked her and took it home (she doesn't know I am on LDL yet).  My husband travels and was due to leave by 4 a.m.  I am glad to say I left it in his suitcase with a note to share it with his co-workers!  And today I realized I did not miss it at all.  Now THAT was amazing to me.

The smoothies seem to doing their job.  Just wanted to share.
Lori
joecaracappa
Master Member

Re: Sharing a chocolate story

Post by joecaracappa »

I have friends in the chocolate business, one in southern Illinois and another in Solvang (a danish comunity about 127 miles from here). I love to visit my friends and take deep breaths whenever I am in their shops. On a recent visit to Solvang my wife Delia ( a long, suffering woman of 26 years) and I enjoyed our friends and managed to pass on our usuals. It was easier than we thought it would be. But brace yourself greenglass, Halloween is just around the corner and we will be open for business. Even before LDL Delia and I would bring the leftovers to work the next day. In the past we would horde the chocolate but this year everything goes!

Joe

PS: Ever been to Hershey, PA? The whole town (no fool'in) smells like chocolate!
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
imkay

Post by imkay »

hey lori have you seen the t-shirts that smell like chocolate?!

http://www.dh-stores.com/main.aspx?mid=6
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

This weekend I had the opportunity to have a piece of chocolate and one cookie. It wasn’t because I was craving these items, I just wanted to know how they tasted after almost 2 months of not having them.

To my surprise, they tasted bitter and bland. I immediately missed the sweet taste you get from fruits. It made me realize that I really no longer wanted/needed cookies, cakes, and/or chocolate in my life, when I can enjoy the fresh sweet taste of fruits.

It’s a shame how (as a society) we’ve been programmed to eat all the bad stuff, and forgo the natural snacks God has given us.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
TNangela

Post by TNangela »

I used to be in the chocolate business also....sometimes for breakfast,  always for lunch and definitely for dinner ;D
I was known to be the biggest chocolate lover around and just this past weekend my neices still cant believe I passed up chocolate for strawberries at a family picnic.....I have met my weight loss goals but why eat it when it doesnt appeal to me any longer????I admit I have tried it since reaching my goal....it just doesnt taste the same and I have more energy now than when I lived for chocolate....
You did a great job Lori packing it away in the suitcase instead of your mouth!!!!
ANG
niki

Post by niki »

i AM a chocoholic.....you guys are great passing up all that chocolate......niki
Last edited by niki on September 6th, 2006, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenglass
New, but learning

Post by greenglass »

Thank you everyone for all your comments!  It is nice to know there are others that go through the same things.  Somehow it does help lighten the struggle.

And, yes, Joe, of course I have visited Hershey, PA!  You are right about it smelling like chocolate!  I am glad I don't live there because LDL would be a little tougher to stick to!  Halloween is not a problem as I live in the 'boonies' and no kids come to the door.  Now Christmas is different but that is months away and I hope to have lost at least some weight by then since I haven't yet.  That should be some motivation to stay away from the sweets.

I had never been in an online community before and this is more helpful than I thought it would be. So thank you again for sharing stories, recipes, and the humorous anecdotes.

Lori
greenglass
New, but learning

Post by greenglass »

Oh my goodness, imkay!  I checked out the tee shirts and could practically smell them through the computer!  I will NOT be buying one.  It would make me crazy!  They were fun to look at though so thanks for sharing... :)
Lori
greenglass
New, but learning

Post by greenglass »

Wow!  Thank you, Roger, for that encouragement.  I really can't wait for that day!  I will let you know WHEN it happens!  Chocolate has been a terrible addiction for me for many years.

Blessings,
Lori
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Lori,

That is wonderful!  I've never been a chocoholic, but I am a cookie monster!  I've not had OR WANTED a cookie in a month and a half, so I know what your victory means to you.

Keep up the good work.  The weight WILL come off.

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
imkay

Post by imkay »

I did mean it as a joke. :)  i would NEVER buy a shirt like that.  how weird to walk around smelling like that!!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

how weird to walk around smelling like that!!

Growing up, my father was a shop steward for a flavoring company. Every night he would come home smelling of the “flavor of the day". To this day, whenever I smell maple, I automatically think of my dad in his white outfit.

My father always laughed when he told this story. One day a woman on the bus asked my father what type of cologne he was wearing. He told her, it was Pure Vanilla. She said she never heard of that brand, and wanted to know which company made it because she hated how his Hi-Karate smelled and she wanted to buy it for her husband. 
Tom

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Tom,

What a beautiful memory!  Isn't it funny how different smells remind us of people or places we've been?

This wasn't food related, but I'll never forget the fields upon fields of tulips and the awesome smell that came from them when I was a kid and my folks took us to Holland.... to this day, tulips are my favorite flower... :-)

Carolyn

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

While it's not a tuplip, this is the the closest thing I could come up with  .....

@>-'-,--   

for those who are wondering, this is an emoticons for a rose. Tilt your head to the right to look at the picture sideways ... Your other right
Tom

Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Awwwww - Thanks, Tom!

Carolyn