butter spray

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Buttercup

butter spray

Post by Buttercup »

I use a LOT of the butter flavored spray on popcorn!!!! 
I make a huge bowl and as it's coming out of the hot air popper, I'm spraying it down.  I was wondering if the spray is healthy or is there some chemical that isn't good for you if you have too much.
Thanks for any info you may share.
Buttercup
Buttercup

Re: butter spray

Post by Buttercup »

I've tried the olive oil spray and I can't believe it's not butter spray and it doesn't taste as good as the butter to me.  The I can't believe it's not butter makes the popcorn wet.
I'll try it again, though. 
Thank you,
Buttercup ::)
niki

Post by niki »

you're spraying too much on...spray it more lightly and once you eat that top layer,spray some more on.,...i use a misto kind of bottle and spray it with olive oil spray....another reason i like this is because i grind sea salt on it which sticks to it because of the olive oil.....niki
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I like the sea salt too.  :D

It's just hard to get away from that flavor of butter.  Do you think it's because I'm from the South? 

buttercup
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

*rolls on the floor and laughs out loud*  Yes!  It's definately because you are from the south.  *Nods*  I think they add melted butter to our formula down here to get us off to a good start!  :P

(In Faith) Little Princess
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by neakybird »

is it alright to melt the shedds willow run margarine and put that on the popcorn?
neakybird
...but I know whom I have believed in and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I comitted unto him against that day.
abundantlyblessed

Post by abundantlyblessed »

Is there a difference between Smart Balance and Earth Balance from the LDL standpoint?  I prefer Earth Balance because it is organic.

TIA,
Michele
nyKath

Post by nyKath »

Hi, Michele! Don't know about the Earth Balance as I've never had it, but I've been using the Smart Balance for years and I just love it. It's supposed to be heart healthy, have good oils in it, has all kinds of test and awards proclamations all over the label, etc. etc. It tastes great, just like butter, isn't overly salty, can be used for baking, and as I hardly ever "butter" anything anyway, it's something I'm going to keep using as it's easily "findable" in the food store. I had tried one brand of soy margarine years ago and it went right in the trash - don't know the brand. Gets to be expensive to keep trying things out. The others seem to like the Willow when they can find it. Happy and healthy hunting! :) .......nyKath
imkay

Post by imkay »

we have had this discussion about the Earth Balance before.  i personally like the taste but i think it has Palm Oil in it and Roger was not too keen on that.  try to find the Shedd's Willow Run.  It's great!!
it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
gonnaloseit
New, but learning

Post by gonnaloseit »

I do like the ICBINB spray for my popcorn and was actually taking a little bowl and dipping my popcorn in it before I got serious about losing weight and found LDL.  I did a research on the calories that are actually in the spray if you use more than what is recommended. 

How many grams of fat and calories are in larger portions of the ICBINB spray?
One teaspoon = 25 sprays, 20 calories and 2 grams of fat

Be carefull as it does add up!

Sue
imkay

Post by imkay »

remember sue it's NOT calories in calories out it's ingredients in and ingredients out
gonnaloseit
New, but learning

Post by gonnaloseit »

Hi imkay,

Yes, I do remember that it is calories and and out!  I was going to say that, but it still is embedded in my mind the fat issue.
Cheers!  Sue
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I hate to say it, but I can believe that ICBINB is not butter.
However, I really like the Pam butter-flavored spray.  So, are there any problems with Pam butter-flavored spray?

If there are, I may just try popping in a pot with a little oil.
Buttercup 8)
imkay

Post by imkay »

I stopped using the ICBINB spray because it made my popcorn mushy.  i have a misto http://www.misto.com (i got it at linens and things) and i fill it with olive oil and spray away.  no my popcorn is light and crunchy.  and i took mary's advice and used garlic salt on it.  yum!
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I do not like olive oil on my popcorn :'(    or ICBINB  :P
I like to use Pam butter-flavored cooking spray in the can.  Does anyone else use that or the generic brand of butter-flavored cooking spray in the can, which tastes just as good if not better than Pam?  I'm just hoping there's nothing in it that's bad for me.

Buttercup 8)
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

I checked out the Misto.  It looks great.  I'm going to Bed Bath and Beyond tomorrow because I have a coupon for there. 
Thanks, Buttercup  8)
imkay

Post by imkay »

you will love it!!  i use mine everyday!  let me know what you think.
Kizah

Post by Kizah »

I'm brand new to the board, but am not new to popcorn eating in the least.  (smile)

We have a Whirley-Pop stovetop popper that you can buy for $20 or less.  We put in a bit of oil, some salt, the popcorn and then pop.  It is delicious and I guarantee you'll never make popcorn any other way again.