dried beans=to canned

Get innovations here.
rollingpat
New, but learning

dried beans=to canned

Post by rollingpat »

Hello all,
Thought this might be of help, I got this info from an older Taste of Home magizine.  One pound of dried beans makes 7 cups of cooked beans, which equals 4  15 1/2 ounce cans.
Pat
niki

Re: dried beans=to canned

Post by niki »

NOT to mention the fact that they're healthier and more nutritious...AND they taste better.....once you get into the routine of soaking them the night before,they're only a LITTLE more work...AND lentils don't have to be soaked at all and are way easier to digest than beans...there's nothing like dried beans......................niki
sweetcheeks
New, but learning

Post by sweetcheeks »

Pat,
Thanks for this info.  I was also wondering how to convert dry to cooked for the recipes.
Also......it seems the grocery stores are on to us....every time I replenish my canned beans stock it seems their prices have gone up.  With this formula I can now use the dry beans which are more economical.

Good News!!!    ;D

Jan
niki

Post by niki »

yay............the bean queen
Straight Eight

Post by Straight Eight »

Just what do you use to eliminate gas that is produced when beans are eaten? ???
niki

Post by niki »

ok...here's the thing.....the first thing that you can do is alternate between beans and lentils.......eat a LOT of lentils...they don't give you gas and they're still a legume.......when you cook dried beans,discard the water a couple of times....cook them REALLY good...eat pureed soups too..the fact that they're pureed makes them easier to digest AND less gas.....some people on these boards take beano.....i don't do that...but,you can try it.....niki 
myfavoritenurse

Post by myfavoritenurse »

Thanks for the dried/canned ratio.  I usually used canned for convenience but am willing and eager to try dried, another first.  Wish me luck.

Carol
Matthew 28:20b  "lo, I am with you always even until the end of the age."
niki

Post by niki »

that's wonderful to hear,carol.....i have to tell you that i enjoy using dried beans so much....i really only use canned beans for an emergency bean alert...the other day i didn't have anything planned and i made fasoulada(very easy greek bean soup that i posted on the recipe board)with canned small red beans...came out great.....but then,that night i soaked some cannelini beans overnight,turned the stove on to simmer for a couple of hours and forgot about them......then i took some broccolirabe that i had in the freezer that i had cooked in olive oil and garlic, added the cannelini beans and chicken broth and made a delicious soup..i'm going to go to the store later and buy boneless chicken breasts......cook one on the forman grill,slice it and put it on top of this soup and make a meal...i NEVER get tired of the food i eat....at every corner,you can make up something new.....
  just don't forget that you can't add any tomato sauce until the beans are soft (1 1/2-2 hours)....i mean,instead of making a pound of cannelini beans,i could have soaked 2 pounds(same amount of effort...bigger pot)and i could have frozen some flat in a freezer bag..or the following day i could have made some of mary's pureed white bean soup or some greek fasoulada............you see what i mean about it being fun?........and meanwhile,you eat this stuff until full and have no cravings while you shrink down to a string bean...........as far as food goes,it really CAN'T get better than this..................niki 
myfavoritenurse

Post by myfavoritenurse »

Niki, thanks for the soup recipe.  It sounds yummy.  As it happens I just bought some broccoli rabe this weekend.  I'll be sure to try it this week.
Matthew 28:20b  "lo, I am with you always even until the end of the age."