Black Beans & Corn Salsa

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
mrsj
Master Member

Black Beans & Corn Salsa

Post by mrsj »

We had this recipe before LDL and here it is with the changes to fit LDL.
My husband always requests this and I'm glad because it's quick and easy.
Also it smells good while it's cooking.  My daughter, who thinks she doesn't like beans very much, ate this because it smelled so good.

Black Beans & Corn Salsa

Olive Oil
1 cup onions, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic (I use the garlic in the jar)
1 can stewed tomatoes (I like to chop them in smaller pieces)
1 can black beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano

In a medium pot or 10 inch frying pan, saute onions in olive oil until clear.
Add garlic ( I saute another minute or two).
Add the 3 cans: stewed tomatoes, black beans, & corn.
Add the seasonings: chili powder, cumin, & oregano.
Stir and heat until warmed through.

Of course the amounts of onions, garlic & seasonings can all be adjusted to suit your own tastes.

I use this as a side dish and find it goes great with meat......I especially love it with salmon. I also like putting this on an omelette and also use it cold in a salad.
Last edited by mrsj on August 29th, 2007, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queenie
Administrator

Re: Black Beans & Corn - my husband's favorite

Post by Queenie »

Oh, YUM, MrsJ!!

This sounds wonderful!  I'm going to print this out & whip it up this weekend!  I love having something like this in the fridge.  Saved me more than one time from choosing the wrong thing!!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
mrsj
Master Member

Re: Black Beans & Corn - my husband's favorite

Post by mrsj »

Yup, Carolyn, that's exactly how this dish serves us too.
I love leftovers!  I love being able to cook once but eat more than once.  :D
mrsj
Master Member

Re: Black Beans & Corn Salsa

Post by mrsj »

I just got finished eating this cold from the fridge in a salad.  I enjoyed it so much I thought I would bring it back to the top because I find it easy to make and maybe someone new to the boards might be interested.

Besides this salsa, I also added to my salad some canned green peas, 1 chopped boiled egg and some diced cucumber.
I had my beans, corn and peas today and it was yummy and satisfying.
mrsj
CJ

Post by CJ »

Thank you for the recipe. I'm horrible at searching for or trying new recipes, unless they require basic ingredients that I have or at least know what they are. I have everything for this one provided fresh corn & tomatoes will work. Thanks. 
Last edited by CJ on September 3rd, 2007, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

You're welcome Carla.  I would believe fresh corn and tomatoes will work in this.....maybe make it better.  Wishing you a good time with your company.....and good eating.  Let us know how it goes.
mrsj
CJ

Post by CJ »

Here's a stupid question, but what is your favorite to serve it with and do you serve it cold - like with corn thins?
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

When I first cook it, I serve it warm as a side dish.  On my plate I often put it right over any meat I eat that doesn't have any sauce...........my favorite is with salmon. 
I like micro zapping any of the leftovers to eat on top of an egg omelet or I will eat it warmed in a dish by itself because it can be eaten any time and really takes away the hunger for me.

It's only recently that I started putting it in my salad cold right out of the fridge...which is a new favorite way for me to eat this.  In fact I sometimes double this recipe so that I will have plenty of leftovers.
I haven't tried it with corn thins...........hmmmm, maybe as a cold dip for them?
Let me know how you eat it!

BTW, stupid questions get sprinkled with magic bean dust and are not stupid anymore.  So ask away....any questions at all.  :)
mrsj

Last edited by mrsj on August 30th, 2007, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

mrsjudo wrote:It's only recently that I started putting it in my salad cold right out of the fridge...which is a new favorite way for me to eat this. 

greek fasoulada(the greek bean soup) and the tourlou(the vegetable stew) are OFTEN eaten cold...that's why i mentioned when i posted these recipes that they're great for a barbeque or a picnic because they're great cold...and they keep well in hot weather not needing a lot of refrigeration....
  so that was great that you realized these kinds of foods were good cold....i love them cold, too...........niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

mrsjudo wrote:BTW, stupid questions get sprinkled with magic bean dust and are not stupid anymore.  So ask away....any questions at all.  :)

and WHO will be the sprinkler of magic bean dust???....why,YOU of course.....and with your excellent interpersonal skills, i hereby appoint you the  public relations liason of the ranch..........
                                        signed,
                                  the bean queen
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Had to look those recipes up again Niki.

The Greek Fasoulada link is:
http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index.php?topic=882.0
Only 3 ingredients! Why didn't I try this before???
Oh, I see....it's probably because it calls for only 1 cup of crushed tomatoes.  I find those only in 28 oz cans...........I must have not wanted to mess with saving the tomatoes for later and chance forgetting about them.  I was making that harder than it really is, sigh.
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Niki can you bring up your recipe for the tourlou?  I couldn't find that one.

Ok...that's why you are the Bean Queen.  I never thought about who would sprinkle the bean dust.  I am honored to be chosen and thank you for your kind words.
Sincerely,
mrsj
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

Mrsjudo:  This sounds GREAT.  We will be in our camper all next week and I will put this in the crockpot.    Then on a salad.  It will give me two meals. WIll be great with grilled hamburgers and then with all kinds of salad veggies.  Thanks, thanks, thanks
Nancy in FLImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

what i do is double the recipe up and then i use a whole can of crushed tomatoes.....WHAT am i going to do with ONE can of beans?.....that is absolutely NOT enough for ANYTHING......i posted this recipe when i first started on let's do lunch and since i can't edit this, i can't change it.....so try that....actually,3 cans of beans...1 can of crushed tomatoes...if you use canned beans, don't use salt...just pepper and oregano...................niki   
Last edited by niki on August 31st, 2007, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Hope you like it Nancy and I do love it with grilled hamburgers.  It sounds like you are gearing up very good with LDL menu plans for your camping trip.
We used to love camping with our girls......not in a tent.....that's for "real" campers.  I liked going in a camper where I could have air conditioning and a microwave oven, lol.  At least I stuck to my guns about having no TV.

Hope you have a great time!
mrsj
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

WHAT am i going to do with ONE can of beans?

Oh, that's funny!
Of course doubling it is the answer, duh.
I'll like having more to eat and possible leftovers.
Thanks Niki for the heads up about the salt and canned beans.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

if i make fasoulada with 1 can of beans, i eat that in one sitting....THAT means NO leftovers.........the longer i've been on let's do lunch, the fuller my 4 quart pot has gotten....i remember a time when i would make 1 pound of dried beans in my 4 quart pot...now, i fill that pot up.........if i had a BIGGER pot, i'd fill THAT up...i eat for a few days and freeze the rest.......right now,in my freezer, i have containers of black bean chilli, chicken soup ready for avgolemono, lentil soup, my favorite bean soup with different beans, fasoulada and a bag of meatballs already cooked to add to the lentil soup...........i HATE cooking every day...now i'm working the next three days...i'm going to take one of the bigger containers out and eat that for the next three days(i think lentil soup with meatballs)..........niki   
Last edited by niki on August 31st, 2007, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bkkr123

Post by Bkkr123 »

MrsJ:  We do have air conditioning, microwave, TV (for weather channel), bath, etc. I did the tent thing also but am over that now. We do a lot of cooking on the grill but I use the crockpot a lot so I don;t have to sit on my cooking, I can go swimming etc. while my food cooks.  I cook at home now ( a lot more since LDL) but I try to simplify the food scene at the campground.  Always have big bowl of fruit for a quick fix for anyone. (no chips in our camper !!!!).
Nancy in FLImage
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Sounds fun......makes me want to go camping with you!  :)