Taco soup by Lawry's

All our yummy soup recipes!
robnveronica
Master Member

Taco soup by Lawry's

Post by robnveronica »

Received this in an email and couldn't believe it looked like it was MADE for LDL!!! Knew Niki our resident BEAN QUEEN would love the  beans in it!! Let me know how it turns out if anyone makes it!!
Veronica

TACO CHICKEN SOUP

PREPARATION
Preparation Time: 15 Minute(s)
Cook Time: 4 Hour(s) 
INGREDIENTS
1 container (32 oz.) chicken broth 
2 cans (15-1/2 oz. ea.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained 
1 can ( 15 oz.) great northern beans, rinsed and drained 
2 cans (14 oz. ea.) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained 
2 cans (15-1/2 oz. ea.) whole kernel corn, drained 
2 packages Lawry's® Chicken Taco Spices & Seasonings 
1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
DIRECTIONS

In 6-quart slow cooker, combine broth, beans, tomatoes and corn. Stir in Lawry's ® Chicken Taco Spices & Seasonings, then chicken. Cover and cook on LOW  8 to 10 hours or HIGH 4 to 6 hours. Remove chicken and shred with fork; return to soup. Serve, if desired, with your favorite taco toppings. 

SERVING SIZE
Serves: 8
Queenie
Administrator

Re: Taco soup by Lawry's

Post by Queenie »

Sounds wonderful, Veronica, but I wonder what the ingredients in the Taco Mix are.... 

IF it has hidden sugars, maybe Little Mary's seasoning mix recipe would work in it.  What do you think?

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
robert42

Post by robert42 »

i would probably use a mix of chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper (to taste), salt, garlic and onion powder in place of the taco mix...often they have MSG if nothing else but worth a look to see how good/bad it is I guess.  I might try this tonight, however (w/out the chicken breasts of course that i'll probably cook in a separate pan and add after I eat it for dinner)
niki

Post by niki »

this is like chilli, but with chicken....the next time i buy boneless chicken breasts,i'm going to make this...i think,though,that i'll put my usual vegetables in it....onion,carrots,celery(sauteed in olive oil)and might make it a little thicker(use less chicken broth)..and of course,add some greek oregano...
  glad to see you take your responsibilities seriously as a princess of the bean realm,princess veronica, in your presentation of another recipe with BEANS.......
  last night, i soaked black beans..today,i'll make spicy black bean soup with eggplant....but,i think i'll use carrots and celery today too(i have loads in the fridge and they'll be good with the eggplant)....i NEVER get tired of eating this way.........niki
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Here's Little Mary's Homemade Taco seasoning mix that I copied from her original posting.  Hope this helps.

OR, of course, you can make your own.  It doesn't take that much more time.  Here's a good recipe for homemade taco seasoning (this makes enough for 1 lb. of meat).  You can always make up a big batch and save it in a jar or container for whenever you want taco seasoning.

INGREDIENTS:

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix:

1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. dried instant minced onion
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. crushed red peppers (optional)

Yum! Use just like you use the stuff in the packets.
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

well..... if you look at the "Taco soup" recipe in the book..it uses taco seasoning packet.  I find that the      McCormick packet doesn't have as much of the bad stuff as some of the other brands! If you can use other seasonings and make it taste good and it's more LDL approved GO FOR IT!!! I just thought it seemed more like a LDL recipe than some I've seen out on the world wide web!!

(Don't worry....a little healthy criticism doesn't hurt me!!) ;D

Mc Cormick's ingredients: Onion, potato starch, whey solids (milk), salt, spices (Including: Chili pepper, oregano, and cumin), paprika, sugar, garlic and citric acid.

Lawry's : Spices (Paprika,cumin, oregano, chili peppers) onion, salt, lactose (from Milk), sugar, garlic powder, enriched wheat flour (flour, niachin, reduced iron, viatmin b1, vitamin b2, folic acid), cocoa powder, citric acid, natural flavors

Give me an idea how to make more LDL approved and I'll see if I can modify the recipe posting!
Thanks everyone!!
Veronica
niki

Post by niki »

HEY,those are all the secret ingredients for the royal bean soups......
  you know,it was a while ago that mary posted that when someone asked for an acceptable brand...i didn't remember how closely they resemble what i put in my soups....i don't add garlic powder or minced onion because i use fresh....but all the other stuff is what i use in my soups....cumin,oregano,chilli powder,crushed red pepper,freshly ground black pepper and sea salt...although i don't always use chilli powder if i use crushed red pepper....i love all these spices...there's NOTHING like a big pot of spicy bean soup...especially today since here in new york,we've just had our first sprinkling of snow..it made the grass white and now it's stopped...the sun is coming out...........YES.............niki 
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Oh, Veronica - I wasn't trying to critisize you!!  Never!  I just wondered what was in the Lawry's Taco Seasoning Mix...  I know that when I was new, I may not have thought to look...

The soup sounds WONDERFUL!!

Big hugs to you, sweetie!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Carolyn!!! I didn't think you were criticizing!!!! I just wanted you to know if you or anyone else chose to I wouldn't get offended as we're all learning!! See...Forever Young actually went through the trouble to find Mary's seasoning info...I didn't know Mary had posted this!! But as busy and hectic as my life can be, I find that having these packets on hand is helpful..then if I didn't plan a meal I have something on hand for quick meal!!
You are also such a sweetheart!
Love ya kid!
Veronica
Tori

Post by Tori »

Sounds yummy, Veronica! Thanks for posting it. (:
robert42

Post by robert42 »

eating it as i type...this is really tasty.

instead of the taco seasoning I used (approximately)
1 1/2 Tbsp Chili powder
2 or 2 1/2 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp Dried Onions
1 Tbsp Dried minced garlic
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Cayenne pepper (actually didn't turn out too spicey though I like it spicey...my wife said it was still mild)
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

re posting original recipe here with the modification from Robert42 and another modification from Forever Young/Miss Mary!

THANKS!! all ideas welcomed!!

TACO CHICKEN SOUP

PREPARATION
Preparation Time: 15 Minute(s)
Cook Time: 4 Hour(s) 
INGREDIENTS
1 container (32 oz.) chicken broth 
2 cans (15-1/2 oz. ea.) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained 
1 can ( 15 oz.) great northern beans, rinsed and drained 
2 cans (14 oz. ea.) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained 
2 cans (15-1/2 oz. ea.) whole kernel corn, drained 
2 packages Lawry's® Chicken Taco Spices & Seasonings 
1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts 
DIRECTIONS

In 6-quart slow cooker, combine broth, beans, tomatoes and corn. Stir in Lawry's ® Chicken Taco Spices & Seasonings, then chicken. Cover and cook on LOW  8 to 10 hours or HIGH 4 to 6 hours. Remove chicken and shred with fork; return to soup. Serve, if desired, with your favorite taco toppings. 

SERVING SIZE
Serves: 8
robert42 wrote:eating it as i type...this is really tasty.

instead of the taco seasoning I used (approximately)
1 1/2 Tbsp Chili powder
2 or 2 1/2 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp Dried Onions
1 Tbsp Dried minced garlic
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp Cayenne pepper (actually didn't turn out too spicey though I like it spicey...my wife said it was still mild)

And here is the modification from Little Mary courtesy of Forever Young:
Here's a good recipe for homemade taco seasoning (this makes enough for 1 lb. of meat).  You can always make up a big batch and save it in a jar or container for whenever you want taco seasoning.

INGREDIENTS:

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix:

1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. dried instant minced onion
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. crushed red peppers (optional)

Yum! Use just like you use the stuff in the packets.
dmdavis

Post by dmdavis »

:D Made it while I was traveling in the hotel.  Tasted wonderful, will make again for sure!  Thank you for sharing!!!! 

PS I used the orginal receipe since it was the simplest to put in crock pot without having the individual seasonings on hand.
sharon

Post by sharon »

I made the soup this week and oh my gosh is it good. I did add some pablano pepper and used one of orginal Rotel Tomatoes and one of the milder...made it spicy but didn't burn my tongue completely. We served it with green onions and just a few pieces of shredded cheese (not enough to taste but to make you think you could). I also sent it to my sister-in-law who is not on the LDL program, and she loved it as well.
Thanks for sharing.

sharon
dmardavis

Post by dmardavis »

This is my favorite soup to make, everyone in the family enjoys it!!!  When anyone comes in the house and I have made this, they says what smells so wonderful.  I let them taste it and immediately want the recipe!  Thank You for sharing! :D
michalle120
New, but learning

Post by michalle120 »

WOW!  This one sounds wonderful!  I think I may be going shopping tomorrow to pick up the items for this recipe!  I need to stock up on beans anyway!!  Thank you!! :) 
:) Michalle :)  Matt. 21:22, And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.

Image  Highest weight: 224
MaryBeth
New, but learning

Post by MaryBeth »

I am very excited about TACO Soup!.. I made it for the first time today ...Everyone loved it!.. I made it as listed in the book with just a few minor LDL friendly variations!  IT was so GOOD!... (We don't like cooked tomatos here.

MaryBeth

Here is my variation:

Large can of Tomato juice
1 11 oz  (small) can tomato sauce
(both sugar free )
1 Large can or 2 16 oz chili beans
1 11 oz vegetarian fat free refried beans ( to make thicker)
1 pound extra lean beef
1 pound ground turkey
1 large sweet onion
1 -2 taco seasoning packet ( I have bulk taco seasoning on hand and add)
1 ranch dressing packet
2 cans sweet niblets corn

Bring sauces to a simmer and add defrosted raw meats.. (don't fry first) Add all other ingredients and simmer for an hour or more... Makes a good crock pot recipe too!... Sprinkle a little fat free cheese of choice on top and serve with acceptable corn thins or chips.. PS I do nuke / cook in micro my chopped onions a little bit before adding
MaryBeth
New, but learning

Post by MaryBeth »

Got it Chief...thanks for the advice!... I don't need any tickets this early in the game..LOL.. I really do appreciate the advice

MaryBeth