what about flavoring extracts?

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Coach7157
New, but learning

what about flavoring extracts?

Post by Coach7157 »

Unfortunately I don't have any in the house to check the ingredients.
Does anyone know if extracts are LDL acceptable to spice things up?

Thanks
Coach
"There is no sleep more restful then that which takes place after the alarm has gone off"
Forever Young
Master Member

Re: what about flavoring extracts?

Post by Forever Young »

Coach,

Please read the ingredient labels.  That is how we would know.  I am not at home so I cannot check mine.  Perhaps someone else is where their flavorings are and can give you an answer soon.

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Coach,

I just looked at the bottle of vanilla I have been using freely in my smoothies and...yikes!!!...it has corn syrup in it.  It is Tone's Pure Vanilla Extract.  The ingredients are: water, alcohol, corn syrup and extratives of vanilla beans.  I checked my McCormick's extracts and they (almond, peppermint and anise) have water, alcohol and their own particular oil extract.  I guess we must be diligent in scrutinizing the ingredients list on yet another product.  Thanks for the heads up. 

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Coach7157
New, but learning

Post by Coach7157 »

I knew I would need to just go to the store and read some labels, guess I was just looking for the easy way out.
Well if nothing else I brought this to someone else's attention. I will share what I find on my next shopping trip.

Coach
"There is no sleep more restful then that which takes place after the alarm has gone off"
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi coach!    I use the tiny bottles of flavour oil you can find at the drug store that is used to make candy. They are wonderful for flavouring any foods you want to add zip to. Like the Orange oil to flavour orange chicken. All it contains is orange oil. The name is LorAnn gourmet www.lorannoils.com.I have an apple flavour here that contains artificial flavour,propylene glycol and water. I don't know if the apple is legal or not. Maybe someone has some ideas. I must have 20 different flavours. So go to store and take a look you might find something yummy. I hope this helps.      Judie
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Thanks  I haven't found a use for it yet but have it since I used to use it a lot.  I won't be using it now. Is the orange oil ok since it is only natural orange oil?
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Thanks again Dear friend!
                                        Judie
Coach7157
New, but learning

Post by Coach7157 »

I know exactly what oils you are talking about, I used to use them to make home made schnapps.
Hmmm I wonder if I can make LDL friendly schnapps? It's actually quite easy to make schnapps.
you make simple syrup (sugar and water) then add some of the flavoring oil (don't need much at all)
then mix in grain alcohol. I'm not sure I can make simple syrup with splenda, wonder if I can with
stevia? either way I guess the "grain" alcohol wouldn't be LDL friendly. This may be a fun weekend
experiment though. Thanks for the input everyone!

Coach
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

thanks Roger,  I emailed the company to find out if ther was sugar in any of the oils. If they respond I let you know. 

you are welcome coach!
Coach7157
New, but learning

Post by Coach7157 »

Oh don't worry Mary, I don't really drink at all anymore.
I'd be more curious to see if I could make it then anything else.
The original question about extracts had nothing to do with schnapps,
It was the post about the oils that made me recall using them.
Guess I got carried away

Coach