Roasted Sweet Corn

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
LRittle
New, but learning

Roasted Sweet Corn

Post by LRittle »

Hello,
I am a newbie to the LDL program...just began my first week and I have a question on something I found at the Health Food Store. It is Non GMO Roasted Sweet Corn Salted Snack. It is slow roasted corn that is like a nut type snack. The ingredients are Non-GMO Roasted Sweet Corn, Soybean oil, and salt. Is it  something I should be eating or not? I have not seen anything in the LDL Book about Soybean Oil....so can someone help me?
I love LDL...lost 8 pounds my first week and  was so sure I had eaten too much....guess the proof is in following the plan, because I feel wonderful and am excited so far. Thanks, Linda
"Praise Him from whom all blessings flow!"
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: Roasted Sweet Corn

Post by patsyfay »

Hi, LInda,

Welcome to the LDL community.  When I first started, I found Corn Nuts and the ingredients were the same ones you have listed.  Little Mary told me to stay away from them, so I did.  Now I don't even miss them or anything like them.  The reason we stay away from products like that is not knowing exactly how they are processed.  Also, those in the know have found that soy products can actually cause weight gain.  Roger used himself as a guinea pig and added soy products to his eating and he gained.  So we have been told to stay away from soy products, i.e. tofu, soynuts, soynut butter, etc.  There are a lot of other snacks to enjoy.  Try Real Foods Original Corn Thins.  They are good alone or with egg, tuna, chicken salad, hummus, Polaner All Fruit, and the like.  You'll soon see you won't be hungry for snacks because you will be so satisfied with your meals.  Congratulations on your eight pound loss!!  God bless you.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Yes, I would stay away from those corn nuts. Because the "Oil" may not have been added to say "Spray" a pan to keep them from sticking during baking but in fact may have been used to "Deep fry" the corn kernel!! Even though the ingredients are fine, it's the preparation that could be bad!! Little Mary tells us "When in doubt, leave it OUT!" We find this to be really good advice!
Good luck and keep on the plan!
LRittle
New, but learning

Post by LRittle »

Thanks, it makes sense to me..i am throwing the bag away after i type this. I have had an awesome first week and do not want to ruin this victory. I have lost 8 pounds in 7 days.....and realize i do not need to weigh myself so often. I am reading the book for the second time...to absorb it more. Thanks for the resonse! Linda
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Linda,

When I first started, I wanted to snack all the time because that was what I did before LDL.  Once you get accustomed to this way of life, you will find that you'll be snacking less and less.  Once in a while, when I don't eat all the BEANS I should, I'll open a can of spicy fat free refried beans and eat some, but that doesn't happen too often.  You'll begin to "read" your cravings and understand what you really want, instead of just shoving anything in because that's what we do.  Congratulations on the great beginning and we're glad you found us.  There's a future waiting for you and it's full of HOPE!

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

I just read on another thread that we can have Quaker Oats and now I see that soynuts are now allowed again.  Can someone make a list of the new items we are allowed.  I still have the old "Let's Do Lunch" book and I know things have been added since that was published.  Would appreciate knowing what new items are now allowed.  God bless you all.

Pat

itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

Me too.  This is confusing.  First they said soybeans were fine and then Roger wrote that we should avoid all soybeans and soybean products.  Now he suggests soybeans are ok.  Enough already.  Where do you stand on this?  Oats were always forbidden.  For a cereal craving corn flakes or corn chex were suggested.  I don't know what to think but I don't think I will change the way I have been eating.  I'm at a beautiful point in my life watching a pound or two drop off every week.  If oats were out before they can stay out as far as I'm concerned.  Has someone eaten oats every day that we do not know about?

Respectfully,

Mimi
LRittle
New, but learning

Post by LRittle »

Hi,
I am trying to still get my mind around the LDL program...when I just about think I have it, i read something that makes me reconsider....am i hearing that I should be eating quite a bit of beans on this?
I have put them in the burgers and meatloaf...but have not added much of them into my diet.
Should I???
I have not been real hungry and therefore have not ventured too far in cooking. I tried the corn thins this morning with eggs..very good.
So, will adding beans do more for me? Will it assist in losing more weight or are beans added to replace some of the unhealthy foods we used to eat?
Sorry for all the questions, but I am still learning...if it is going to be a way of life, it is important enough to me to learn. Thanks to all of you .....your message boards have added much to this program for me! You are all a God send....PTL! Linda
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Linda,

WELCOME to LDL.  We want to answer any and all questions that anyone has regarding LDL.  You are correct that this is a lifetime eating plan...and you need to understand it.

Yes, by all means...add BEANS!!!  And PEAS, and CORN, and CORN-ON-THE-COB, and POPCORN...ALLLLLLLLL OF them you want to eat.  Eat until full.  You will find out the more PEAS, BEANS, CORN, POPCORN, and CORN-On-the-COB you eat, the more satisfied your body will become with this way of eating.  We have found out that IF we stray because we have to make the best choices of where we are, we always are willing and HAPPY to return to the LDL way!

It seems like when you first start on this, you EAT LOTS and LOTS and LOTS!  However what we found happens is that your body begins to change and receives the better nutrition on this plan...and you begin to eat less and less and get fuller faster...THUS the weight loss.

When we first started a rotisserie chicken didn't last more than a meal.  The last time we got one, we got 2 1/2 meals out it.  DH is a BIG eater...he has a fast metabolism so he can eat huge amounts of food!  Four plates at the buffet restaurant plus soup.  But, when we are doing LDL, he might get the third plate...but none of them are piled as high as they used to be.

The veggies, fruits, beans, peas, corn, corn-on-the-cob all have much more fiber.  Consequently they fill us up faster.  They are really much better for us...and we begin to feel better physically.  So, YES, YES, YES...add the BEANS to EVERYTHING you can think of...and some you have never tried before. 

My DH and I love the mashed BEtatoes made with the baby butter beans.  But, I would recommend adding BEANS to whatever you can think of...and maybe somethings you've not thought of yet.

Keep on keeping on...on LDL and post often.

Have a blessed day!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
LRittle
New, but learning

Post by LRittle »

Thanks Jeane!
I will be sure to add beans to my diet and will use some of the bean recipes from the message boards. I already love the healthy feeling I have. I love the fruit smoothies and am very surprised at how well my body has handled only having the protein at lunch. I have noticed I wake up easier in the morning and have more energy. I also recognize I am not as sluggish throughout the day. My body is obvioiusly happy with the fresh fruit, veggies, etc. and appears to be more efficient already! PTL!
I will check the message boards daily now and look forward to reading what others are doing and learning about LDL.
I commend all of the LDL Team for their support and great guidance. Keep up the good work...I, for one, will be looking to you all for help along this path to a healthier lifestyle. Thanks again!
Linda
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

marysimmons wrote:   Red beans, black beans, white beans, green beans (sounds like a Dr. Suess book, huh?!)
EAT YOUR BEANS! 

This this we need to add:  Pink beans, black-eyed peas, purple hulled peas, green and orange lentils, yellow beans, speckled beans, brown beans, all colors of beans and peas!  What a great variety that God has given us to enjoy!!!

Sorry, I just could NOT resist adding some other colors of beans and peas!!!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

See, thats why I didn't mention them...I've never seen them...much less heard of them.  But I was just thinking of all the colors we had to choose from.  Thanks for telling me.  That way if I ever see any of them... I will know to BUY them and not pass them up because I'd never heard of them.

Love,

Jeanne
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Little Mary,

I found a Food Coop in Evansville that carries so many kinds of beans I feel blessed just walking in the door.  One thing I like is French Green Lentils.  They don't break up as they cook and have a nice al dente consistency.  I use them in cold bean salads with olive oil, sweet onions, chopped tomatoes, green olives, etc.  They also carry red lentils and when I couldn't find cannellini beans, they ordered them for me and I had 5 pounds in less than a week.  They also told me if they don't have anything I want, they can order it.  I'll ask about black lentils.  Also, no bean that they sell is more than $1.79 per pound.  Woo Hoo!!!

Pat