The Prodigal Son returns … Get again

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
tcasola
Administrator

The Prodigal Son returns … Get again

Post by tcasola »

It’s been a while since I’ve been on the LDL boards. One reason I’ve been away is because work has been keeping me busy. Another is shame.

For the last few months I haven’t been as faithful to LDL as I should. There are numerous excuses why I haven’t, but the bottom line is – they are nothing more then EXCUSES. As with any addict, one must admit to oneself that no matter how stressful, or unhappy, one is – their addiction isn’t going to cure it. I need to realize the only way to defeat this by God’s grace. And one of God’s many graces is LDL and all you wonderful folks.

So here I am again. A little beaten, a little embarrassed, a little ashamed, a little worst for ware, and very humbled. The one thing I realize I need is a lot of support. So I hope you don’t mind when I reach out to you.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: The Prodigal Son returns … Get again

Post by patsyfay »

It's nice to see you back on the boards, Tom. It takes a lot of courage to admit weakness and I applaud your return.  I have not been here as long as a lot of the others, but I need to come back on a regular basis just to get a spiritual "Injection" of support.  Here's hoping that you will just get back on the LDL train and finish your journey.

Welcome Back.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Tom buddy. Did U see U were recruited to the police department when U weren't lookin?  Miss Mary wants U to B a cop with her.  U better get ready when she sees U back here today.  Ben
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Tom:
Put my name right next to yours buddy! I am bearly back on track myself. I restocked the pantry last week, that was a good start for me. Now I need to get my head back into the game.

I may be in "Joisey" for a reunion in the fall, if that happens, would love to get together.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Wow...this is really a sobering thread.

Thanks so much to all of you more experienced LDLers who have written to say that there can be pitfalls even with LDL.  I have been under the impression that now that i haven't felt a craving in almost a month that i must still be on the lookout in case i get one.  It seems that it may be like cigarrettes...i know that i can not have even one little puff or i'll be fully addicted (or maybe even worse than before) again.  But with food it's different because we must eat something every day in order to live.  So i see that i must be very careful not to set my addiction off again.  I suppose it's still one day at a time even with LDL. 

Do any of you "old timers" have an idea how you happened to wander away from LDL?  Did you get bored with the beans?  Did you have a mouthful of something with sugar and then find yourself out of control again?  I think it would be very instructional to us newbies if we knew how it happened that you veered off the LDL track (if it's not too presumptuous of me to ask).

Thanks...i'm sure that your input and sharing will help others of us to avoid the same pitfalls....Lord willing.

margo
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

margo wrote:Wow...this is really a sobering thread.

Do any of you "old timers" have an idea how you happened to wander away from LDL?  Did you get bored with the beans?  Did you have a mouthful of something with sugar and then find yourself out of control again?   I think it would be very instructional to us newbies if we knew how it happened that you veered off the LDL track (if it's not too presumptuous of me to ask).
Thanks...i'm sure that your input and sharing will help others of us to avoid the same pitfalls....Lord willing.
margo

Stress!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

margo wrote:Do any of you "old timers" have an idea how you happened to wander away from LDL?  Did you get bored with the beans?  Did you have a mouthful of something with sugar and then find yourself out of control again?   I think it would be very instructional to us newbies if we knew how it happened that you veered off the LDL track (if it's not too presumptuous of me to ask).
margo

Margo - As I've said to Mary - when I've strayed, it's been nothing more than "convenience".  Something was "there" and I hadn't planned in advance.  I've struggled a lot lately with extreme tiredness (Dr.'s appointment tomorrow), and have had a lot of trouble getting myself up and to the kitchen to prepare things.  The ingredients are there - it's just a matter of putting them together.

And even though I've strayed lately, it's never been a complete turnaround.  I haven't eaten (or craved) any type of bread product - GOOD!!  When I snack, it's almost always corn thins... again, GOOD!  When John says, "You want to go out for dinner?" and I say, "ok" - I know deep down that I can go to just about any restaurant and eat an LDL friendly meal - but do I??  Not always.  Why?  Who knows?

So, as with some of my other "old time" LDLers, it's back to basics.  Get myself into the kitchen and put a smoothie together - that's not hard, right?  Right.  Pop some popcorn - it only takes 3 minutes.  Not hard.  Just DO IT, like Nike says. For me, I guess I just have to work through my tiredness and DO IT... (sigh...)  I think I'll go to bed now... Tomorrow is a new day.

Love to all,
Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Me three Tom.
(Joe was 'me too')

Had an emotional confrontation yesterday and I ran right out for the junk foods. Kept grazing on sugary substances until this afternoon. Finally knocked myself in the head (ie. had a "V-8" moment...) and got back on track in time for supper. Then tonight before getting ready for bed I called my friend and apologized for my part in the tiff and we worked it out over the phone.

I have been sneaking wrong foods here & there for months but this was an out-right twenty-four hour "eatrageous" rebellion. I purposely CHOSE foods that I have successfully avoided in the past. And who was I harming? My friend, who neither knew or cared what I ate? No!

I'll step up with you Tom! What are you eating on Wednesday? Can you plan ahead? Please call on me if you need a buddy. You can email me or personal message me. Or I'd be glad to give you a phone number where I can be reached during the day.
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

When I've strayed, it's stress, emotions out of control, convenience or just plain old "I know this isn't good for me, however I also know it tastes good and I want it!" NOT CRAVE! I don't crave the foods, I just still have a taste for (fill in the blank). Other times it's just because my husband (who could stand to lose a lot of weight but won't admit to it yet) and my kids aren't following the program as well. When I do stray though I just get right back on board with the next meal AND I don't beat myself up.
NOW, Tom...WELCOME BACK! We've missed you, and WE LOVE YOU! Just jump back in. One of the only things that keeps me from straying too far is the message boards and the fact that I am trying to encourage newcomers. How can I encourage them if I'm not being faithful to LDL?
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Hey Gang,

What a wonderful feeling to be welcomed back - not that I didn't except it. The one (of many) wonderful thing about LDL is our love for each other

Do any of you "old timers" have an idea how you happened to wander away from LDL?  Did you get bored with the beans?  Did you have a mouthful of something with sugar and then find yourself out of control again? 

Old timers ?!!?!?! I rather be called a veteran, it make me feel younger  ;D (please know I am joking)

OK, here is what caused my failures (echoed by many)

• stress - with my job.
  • unhappiness - again, with work.
  • laziness - with the hours I work it's hard to cook for myself every night, plus I'm not a greatest cook. I usually spend one day grilling and/or cooking and that should last me a week - but there are those weeks when I don't have time to even do that
  • convenience - on those days I don't have lunch, I stop off in a fast-food drive-thru and pick up a no-no. It's easier to drive and eat a no-no then drive and eat a salad.
  • Stupidity – I was foolish in thinking “this won’t hurt/matter”; "it's only one day"; "I'm in control, I know what I am doing" "I'll do it tomorrow" ... and it starts a chain reaction of eating incorrectly.
  • Financially – Money is kinda tight, and I don’t have the “luxury” of shopping every week. So when the cupboard begins to get a little bear I tend to eat the wrong thing
  • Loneliness – as many old timers .. errr veterans .... know I am single, and my sister and nephew live upstairs from me. They are great, but they have lives, and aren’t around as much as they once were – so there are many times when I am by myself, watching the boob-tube, and have nothing to do. So I reach for the wrong things. 
  • self loathing  - when I am off, I get into that mood when I feel I am a failure, and I will never be successful – so why bother. After a day or so, I stop and realize what a lucky man I really am. I have my health, friends, family, a job (even thou I dislike it), another job (which is ok) – I could really be worst off.

OK .. that's my excuses. Warts and all !!

EnJae: thanks for the offer - especially with the phone. I may take you up on that ... and I make the same offer to anyone else out there - if you'd like a "phone buddy" - some one to turn to when those cravings hit, or you're stress, or need to "do something to keep your mind off of food" - my phone will be open to you 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. Just send me a personal email and I will give you my contact info.
Tom

margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Thanks Super Tom for understanding my reference to "old timers"  :D

Little Mary, you brought tears to my eyes and reading your reply was just what i needed.  How can i express the gratitude to God and to each of you for making yourselves available for these types of discussions which are so important to our progress? It's so scary to think that we're just one bit of sugar/bad carb away from another tornado binge.  i thank God for the whole last month of eating like a normal person and i am having faith that He will help me get through this day!  I'll worry about tomorrow tomorrow, Lord willing.

Hello...my name is margo...and i'm a food addict....
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

You are so right.  We always come back to Let's Do Lunch because we know how much better we feel.  It is so great to be able to eat as much as we want and to not feel as "HEAVY" when we are done as was the case for us PRE-LDL.  It is so amazing to me.

I guess that is why I constantly tell everyone that it is not a DIET...but a LIFE STYLE EATING change.  One whose change happens to offer you many benefits.  Like: 1) weight loss  2) stabilized blood sugars  3) normal Cholesterol numbers  4) normal Triglycerides  5) normal blood pressure.  Who can argue with the successes that are reported on the boards.  I am sure there are many more that are not REPORTED on the boards too as some people don't want to post.

All the ladies in our office were taken to an Italian place for lunch by one of our former owners.  They all had pasta of some sort.  I had a Spinach Chicken salad with  my dressing on the side.  AND...I only ate 1/2 of it.  There was a time when I would have devoured ALL of it and been looking for more.  I know that I feel really light and they were commenting about being "HEAVY" feeling when we were driving back to the office.  SO, I know that I did better than the rest.  I should not have a problem with staying awake this P.M. and perhaps they will.

Roger, we sure do THANK GOD for giving you Let's Do Lunch and for you staying on the boards to help us all along on our way to SKINNY!  Thank YOU so much for listening to the Lord and trying HIS program to WELLNESS!!!

Love,

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
cm in tn

Post by cm in tn »

Good MORNING All,
  I love you people you are so human lol. That is a good thing I to have been bad getting ready for vacation going to fort walton beach hello little Mary i,ll be in your state sat ,but i didn,nt want to buy grocery to leave home so you know what that means i have eaten fast food for weeks at lunch and dinner i am miserable i feel so heavy and slugish i can,nt wait to get back and be faithful to ldl its unreal how much better you feel i have'nt gained but i sure do feel bad went to captains d,s yeterday for lunch and to my surprise i could get corn on cob and for the fries i got white beans they sure were hummy may not have been cooked ldl friendly but i thought that had to be better than fries.we,re renting a condo may take me some beans to cook but then my kids would kill me for not enjoying the beach you can eat beans at home they would say.  well any way i wanted to add this is the best eating plan i've found i don'nt know about you people but my body craves beans salads etc i love it will be back on boards when i get back all stay safe keep on the plan and may GOD bless you all .

CONNIE IN TN
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME : PHILIPPIANS 4:13
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

Let's Do Lunch is even more addictive than your previous addiction to fattening foods!

AMEN !! Ain't it the truth ... As Connie mentioned "its unreal how much better you feel " when you are doing LDL. My overall attitude is changing for the better (but work is still work); I am getting more energy, and (believe it or not) I was able to go down 2 belt holes since Monday. Next week I'll try on my tight pants to see how they fit.

I love you all !!
Tom

kashigirl
New, but learning

Post by kashigirl »

8)Another prodigal child back in the fold...Me to!  Embarrassed and a bit broken, as well...but here...and I hope that's what counts.  At least we KNOW where we SHOULD be....many don't even have that figured out...so in that way I count us as blessed.  I am just thankful to God that we have this place and this plan to guide us back to sane eating and health. 

Kashigirl.
"There is no TRY, there is only DO" - Yoda from STAR WARS
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Glad you're back Akasha!
NJ
kashigirl
New, but learning

Post by kashigirl »

Thanks NJ.....I'm not far from Phila...Yo....where in NJ do you live? What exit?  hahahahaha....South Jersey?  It'd be nice to know a buddy not far from me. 

Kash
"There is no TRY, there is only DO" - Yoda from STAR WARS
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Sorry Kash,
I am MUCH MORE south. I'm in Abilene, Texas. NJ is my nickname from my first and middle initials.