Corn Bread

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Nomo-Yoyo

Re:Corn Bread

Post by Nomo-Yoyo »

Jim, I tried your corn bread recipe for the first time last week. I liked the taste, but wished it had been less dry. I decided to try it with some unsweetened applesauce added, since that's something I normally used in my "pre-LDL" cornbread, anyway. Well, I did it today......added 1/3 cup to your recipe & "Boy Howdy" did that ever make it perfect to me!! I will have no problem serving that to company. Thought you might want to try it, too. :D
Luke 1:37 "For with GOD nothing shall be impossible."
Nomo-Yoyo

Post by Nomo-Yoyo »

I understand your point, Jim, but I guess we'll just have to be guinea pigs, too. Seeing the cornbread recipe, before getting the book & starting the plan, was a big selling factor for my husband to do LDL. Though we won't have it every single day, we will have it alot, until & unless I see it keeps the program from working for us. I know for a fact that the stone ground corn I have is nothing but PURE CORN (I bought what's called unbolted, meaning nothing is sifted out & nothing is added), and the proprietors are super folks, to boot. My source is Falls Mill in Belvidere, TN. www.fallsmill.com - phone (931) 469-7161 (in case you want to check them out)
Nomo-Yoyo

Post by Nomo-Yoyo »

Jim, I shared your note with Janie of Falls Mill & this was her reply.:

We have two sets of mill stones. We mill the wheat and rye flour on a 30 inch Meadows Mill and the corn is milled on a 42 inch R.D. Cole horizontal set.
Janie
hgdfoods

Post by hgdfoods »

Hi, I am Sally. I am the owner of Lamb's Stone Ground Corn Meal. We recently purchase the business from the Lamb's Heirs (they are getting up in years and really wanted a family buisness to continue the legacy). We are a family owned business. Our business focues on all natural and healthy living. The Gristmill is now in Converse TX. We have an internet site to order products if you cannot get them in your local grocery store. www.hgdfoods.com HGD Foods, PO Box 844 Converse TX 78109 210-6503105. We are working to get our wonderful meal into more stores though out the US. We understand the gluten free need for products, we have family members with Cialact Disease. You will never find gluten in our plant. We would love to hear from you and happy we can help you with your eating adventures. Sally ;)
hgdfoods

Post by hgdfoods »

Lamb's new location and phone number is:

HGD Foods
PO box 844
Converse Tx 78109-0844
210-650-3105
www.hgdfoods.com

Thanks for trying our wonder all natural, stone ground corn meal. The corn meal is not processes with chemicals or anything. We are all natural, twice cleaned corn. Our gristmill only makes corn meal with granite wheels.

Sally
Bets

Post by Bets »

Is any stone ground corn meal okay. What about stoneground grits. We have a small water powered mill near us that grinds cornmeal and grits.

Bets
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

marysimmons wrote:Nomo-Yoyo,

It sounds like you have found a type of corn meal you can trust.  Jim, Roger & I are all really nervous when it comes to buying corn meal, because we had a disaster almost 2 years ago where all of us on the message boards all stopped losing weight, and some people gained weight! It was all because of corn bread and similar recipes. We learned the hard way that a lot of corn meals contain other ingredients by accident.  All indications would show that Falls Mill corn meal is pure corn.  Yay!

Mary

As a newbie I want to ask this question. With all of the stuff we are cutting out, and all the healthy choices that we are making, how could a little grain getting into the corn stop people from losing weight? This almost seems impossible to me.
nyKath

Re: Corn Bread

Post by nyKath »

Hey Gregg! I can't answer this question with any certainty, but I think corn bread is one of those things to be avoided as it's just so good tasting and so darned addicting! If you get along fine without it, why rock the boat??? My take on it anyway...For me, it's just like eating cake with frosting, so I just don't eat the stuff. This way, I'm not tempted and will not overdo it and bring my very slow success to a crashing halt. Good luck to you! .:).......nyKath
Jaf6818

Re: Corn Bread

Post by Jaf6818 »

Oh i have a hot jelapeno pepper in the fridge.....hot corn bread with northern bean soup....what more could you ask for on a crisp fall day?

Have a great day;;;;
jaf