A "beany "shopping trip

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
MaryBeth
New, but learning

A "beany "shopping trip

Post by MaryBeth »

I have had a blast trying to learn to shop all over again...LOL.  I never realize there were so many types of beans.. Northern, butter, pinto, kidney, chili, soy, green, wax, navy, garbanzo. I can see I will be experimenting like crazy... It kind of brings to mind an old childhood * childish song...LOL  I know you all remember this one.. Beans beans the musical fruit...LOL  Hope you all have a good laugh! 
Rhea

Re: A "beany "shopping trip

Post by Rhea »

Good for you, MaryBeth! There's so much variety with beans -- each type has its own subtle flavour and texture. AND they're so cheap to buy! Plusses all round -- except maybe the musical bit -- but never mind, it gets easier, I find!

Rhea
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Beans beans the musical fruit...LOL 

I like to remember this little ditty as one of our members put it........maybe it was NJ..........Beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you lose!
Welcome to Let's Do Lunch, MaryBeth!
mrsj
MaryBeth
New, but learning

Post by MaryBeth »

Thanks Mrs J!!!... I love your picture!  I like that song!

MaryBeth
MaryBeth
New, but learning

Post by MaryBeth »

YOu too Rhea ..thanks!.. I did read somewhere I could grind the "chick peas"for a pseudo flour???

MaryBeth
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

MaryBeth wrote:I have had a blast trying to learn to shop all over again...LOL.  I never realized there were so many types of beans.. Northern, butter, pinto, kidney, chili, soy, green, wax, navy, garbanzo. I can see I will be experimenting like crazy...

now THIS is music to MY ears...........
                                        signed,
                                      the bean queen
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Here are my words to the song:

"Beans and fruits, beans and fruits;
the more you eat,  the weight you 'loose'.
The more you lose, the better you feel!
Eat beans or fruit at every meal!"

NJ
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

uh oh NJ..I see the ticker moving in the wrong direction...BUT considering all you've been through it's not too bad!!!
And Mary Beth....glad you're loving LDL!!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

MaryBeth wrote:YOu too Rhea ..thanks!.. I did read somewhere I could grind the "chick peas"for a pseudo flour???

hi marybeth....i use chickpea flour a LOT....i use it in my meatballs..i coat chicken to make oven fried chicken...you could make chicken marsala or chicken francaise with it dredging the chicken in it before frying...............i used to buy the roasted dried chickpeas and grind them......but since roger has stated that we can use the flour, you can buy chickpea flour from bob's red mill.....if you live in florida, publix carries his products, i'm not sure wether chickpea flour is one of the items that publix usually carries...you'd have to check...or a health food store...........you could also make noodles out of chick pea flour..i personally don't like to go too crazy with it...it is a processed item even though it IS beans.........it just is really nice to have it in my meatballs......i REALLY can't tell the difference between these and the meatballs i used to make with breadcrumbs........and on the chicken it's GREAT...i posted both those recipes........
  remember that it's the dried ROASTED ready to eat chick peas that you grind and not the regular dried beans....and it's known as garbonzo flour by the bob's red mill company...same thing......niki         

Last edited by niki on October 25th, 2007, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

niki wrote:but since roger has stated that we can use the flour, you can buy chickpea flour from bob's red mill.....

Wow - I guess I didn't read ALL of the posts when I was gone - I missed this!  I hadn't used it up till now because I can't get the roasted chickpeas & didn't want to go to all the "work" of soaking, cooking and then roasting...  good to know!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

Niki,

The regular dried chick peas won't work to make flour?  DO you know why NOT?  I considered myself blessed that I found the regular dried ones to make the flour.  Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Veronica; Yes I gained 5# over the last few weeks. But in the long run I know it won't matter; I'm back on plan again. Thank you for noticing.

Jeanne; I'm not niki but here's the scoop. We found that we could use dried, roasted chickpeas to make a flour. Niki was just saying that now we have a supplier where we can also buy the chickpea flour to save several steps if we want to.
Rhea

Post by Rhea »

I'm so glad to know about the chick pea flour. That is a new ingredient, since I was last on these boards... maybe it's in the new version of the book? (I'm still using the original one.)

I used to sneak a little chick pea flour into things, mainly to roll bean burgers and things in before baking or frying -- so it's really good to know it's now 'legit' and you have some lovely ideas for it, niki... I agree though, the more 'whole' the product, the better -- but chick pea flour is such a useful ingredient in small quantities.

Rhea
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

hi jeanne..like nj said, they have to be dried ROASTED chick peas.....they have to be cooked and then roasted...rhea posted a recipe to do that for soy nuts and you can use the same recipe using chick peas instead.....but, the BEST thing is to get it from bob's red mill......check your supermarkets and health food stores........and you can use it WHEREVER you used to use flour before......like i said, i use it for my meatballs(you can't tell that they DON'T have breadcrumbs in them), i make oven fried chicken with it......you can make chicken marsala or chicken francaise with it..........
  i would just be careful everyone, not to go overboard with it....remember, it is processed.....personally, i wouldn't start making crusts and things with it because then you're using a LOT of it.....when i'm on the basic program, i have NO desire for anything like that....it's just that good meatballs and oven fried chicken are GREAT...........
  so look for it.......you won't be sorry....i've been talking about roasted chick peas and the flour from it since i came on the boards.......niki
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Rhea wrote:I agree though, the more 'whole' the product, the better -- but chick pea flour is such a useful ingredient in small quantities.

this is EXACTLY it......please everyone, remember that.....i'm going to say that for me this IS occasional use because i don't eat the things i make with it every day.......i COULD have gone crazy with this....we can't have yeast so you can't make pizza out of it......but, i could make the homemade dough that i use to make spanakopita using this because you don't use any leavening for that....BUT, i don't even want to START doing that because it'll be the corn bread thing all over again...look at amounts....how much chick pea flour is there in 5 small meatballs that i add to my soup for my protein of the day?...a teaspoon?......so be very careful not to abuse this.....i've been using this all along, but i was making it myself because i can find roasted chick peas in ny.....you can find them in any greek or mediterranean specialty store...you can check the health food stores....or you can check an indian store also....indians call them chana........
  now that roger has approved flours made from beans or peas, everyone can get this.......and just remember to use it sparingly....i had seen the recipe for the tart using chick pea flour for the crust.....THERE'S another thing...i could make a quiche and use this and olive oil instead of butter........i'll stop losing weight.....so be careful...........niki
Last edited by niki on October 26th, 2007, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Here are my words to the song:

"Beans and fruits, beans and fruits;
the more you eat,  the weight you 'loose'.
The more you lose, the better you feel!
Eat beans or fruit at every meal!"
Thanks NJ for re-posting your song.  It's better than how I remembered it, lol.
mrsj
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Also, all the talk about the chick pea flour has been very helpful.  I learned a lot.
Thanks,
mrsj
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Niki, my last post was just flagged as spam.  It will be interesting to see if this one is too.
mrsj

No, this was not flagged.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

i released it, julie......thanks for letting me know.........niki
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Thanks go back at ya Niki.  Wow you were fast!
mrsj