What about Agave Syrup for a sweetener?

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
xmasgirl43
New, but learning

What about Agave Syrup for a sweetener?

Post by xmasgirl43 »

This has a low glycemic index and comes from a cactus (vegetable)...just wondered what Roger Troy thinks about this...or better to use artificial sweeteners???  I was specifically wondering about using it on top of apple pancakes made with popcorn flour...
xmasgirl43
:)
niki
Administrator

Re: What about Agave Syrup for a sweetener?

Post by niki »

xmasgirl43 wrote:This has a low glycemic index and comes from a cactus (vegetable)...

before reading this a minute ago, i never heard of agave syrup.....i just read up on it and i will definitely say that you don't want to use this on let's do lunch......it does say that it is lower than other sweeteners on the glycemic index but i think it would still make your blood sugars fluctuate and cause you to have cravings......the closest thing i can compare it to is beet sugar.....it's fructose that's extracted from a vegetable, but is STILL not something you would want to use for the same reason that it would make your blood sugars fluctuate and give you cravings..............
  you can use polaner's all fruit or you could make compote out of fresh fruit if you want something to go over pancakes.....although, personally, if i were you, i'd wait before i experimented with something like popcorn pancakes...get the basics down, get your eating habits into the let's do lunch synch and then have something like that as a treat.............that part is just my own advise.....i lose weight very slowly so the way that i lost was by sticking with only the things i could eat as much as i wanted of.............sincerely,niki   
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
xmasgirl43
New, but learning

Post by xmasgirl43 »

Thankyou Niki.  I appreciate your help.  We ended up putting Polaners All Fruit on top of the pancakes.  It was an interesting breakfast...not exactly what I thought they would taste like, but both my daughter and I enjoyed them for something different.
No agave for me. 
xmasgirl43 :)
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Any kind of Polaner's All Fruit mixed with water makes a nice syrup for your "popcorn" pancakes or over baked apples or other baked fruit.  Also nice mixed in with your occasional bowl of oatmeal!

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

xmasgirl43 wrote:Thankyou Niki.  I appreciate your help.  We ended up putting Polaners All Fruit on top of the pancakes.  It was an interesting breakfast...not exactly what I thought they would taste like, but both my daughter and I enjoyed them for something different.
No agave for me. 
xmasgirl43 :)

you're welcome.............LOVE your ticker..........niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..