[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4788: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4789: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4790: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3915)
Let's Do Lunch Community • View topic - Agave...New Natural Sweetener That Supposedly Won't Mess With Your Blood Sugar

Let's Do Lunch Community

See your doctor for approval before starting any new eating program.
The Key to Let's Do Lunch is to "Add a Little Something Fattening" to something nonfattening, to make it Taste Great! Read the New Red Book to find out how this is done!

Author believes we are put on this earth to have a chance to love The Lord. Other than that, we are here to help God bless as many other people as possible.

It is currently

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Neets just bought a bottle of a new natural sweetener that supposedly won't mess with your blood sugar. It's in liquid form, taken from a cactus-like plant native to Mexico, and it's called Agave. She paid $7 or $8 for a 23.5 oz bottle. You can call the following toll-free phone number to get locations in your area that carry it: 1-800-680-1896.

Here's what it says on the bottle: "Agave is a low-glycemic index sweetener, so it is slowly absorbed into the body preventing spikes in blood sugar".

I'm opening this up for discussion, as I know that our Bean Queen said not to use this sweetener, but her reasoning was that it might spike blood sugar, and not only does it say on the bottle that this won't happen but Dr. Oz just endorsed it, saying the same thing.

Little Niki, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to be helpful...so, if you have evidence to the contrary, please post it here so that all of us can make a joint decision as to the use of Agave on LDL.

God bless,

Roger Troy

Roger Troy, author of Let's do Lunch (amazing reviews at amazon.com, made The 700 Club's "Top Highlights of the Last 50 Years!", called an "International Sensation", a "Smash Hit" and the "Most Buzzed-about Weight-loss Book of the Year!" by FIRST Magazine (for women)

Last edited by Anonymous on , edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

OH, am I ever happy to have your endorsement Roger Troy!  I had asked about agave, being a huge cactus and succulent fan anyway, I had researched it and found it to be quite good in regard to blood sugar.  They are actually doing extensive research in California (I hear) in regard to Prickly Pear cactus and regulation of blood sugar.  Of course, this is not from the prickly pear, but from agave cactus....but more and more research done every day!  I thank God for your program every day...I am having wonderful results from your eating plan, and am so energetic and happy!  I am a 51 year old mom of 4 grown kids, and have never felt so good!!!
God Bless you FOREVER!
Julie

hi roger....i was just going on the premise that most sweeteners like that, extracts with that kind of sweetness, would cause your blood sugars to fluctuate.....sugar from sugar beets was what i compared it to in my mind....
  i would just suggest that before anyone buys loads of this, that they wait and see how you and anita do............you could use this in loads of things if it does the job......
  like you always say, this IS a work in progress.......i'll be waiting for a progress report to find out how you do........love,niki

I tried agave while I was 'off' LDL in the early summer and whether it spiked my blood sugar or not, i don't know. What I found though was that it did encourage me to want to eat starches and other sweet things -- unlike honey, which does not seem to have that effect on me.

It may be fine for some people, but I find that if I start eating things with extra sweetness (other than fruit of course), it messes with my self-control and appetite -- maybe it's just me. Anyway, that's my two cents worth,,,

Rhea

Hi Mary,

Would it be "Two Euros" worth these days?

Off topic again,  I just want to thank Mary , Niki, and everyone who has taken the time to post their advise and recipes.  All of your efforts have been a real blessing to me and certainly to every new LDL'er.  Thanks again, and God bless!

Last edited by niki on , edited 1 time in total.

I saw 100% pure agave syrup in the grocery store last night, so I picked it up to look at the label.  I was surprised to see that it packs a whopping 60 calories per tablespoon, the same amount of table sugar has 45.  My point is, that even if it doesn't cause our blood sugar to spike, it's too calorically dense to be used liberally.  Is it sweet enough that we can get away with half a teaspoon, for example, in a cup of coffee?

That's a very valid point, so Agave is definitely "out". We will use Stevia or Splenda only.

This is the same logic I use when comparing eating soybeans vs. other beans...normally, the "other" beans are much less caloric than the soybeans, so I eat the other beans if they fill the bill and only eat soybeans when they are the only option...like dry roasted soynuts, because they are the only option for nuts.

God bless,

Roger Troy

Roger Troy, author of Let's do Lunch (amazing reviews at amazon.com, made The 700 Club's "Top Highlights of the Last 50 Years!", called an "International Sensation", a "Smash Hit" and the "Most Buzzed-about Weight-loss Book of the Year!" by FIRST Magazine (for women)

Roger, the beauty of your program is that it allows me to eat foods I enjoy until I am completely satisfied while taking in fewer calories than I used to.  When you're a five foot tall, small boned, forty year old woman with a healthy appetite, that's a dream come true!

Do you have any advise to help us stay on the plan through the holiday season?  With all of the shopping, decorating, and extra effort to meet the expectations of loved ones --especially with favorite treats-- it's very difficult to remain focused.

Last edited by Jamilet on , edited 1 time in total.