Can't sleep days 2 and 3 on program? Help!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
vanbro1995
New, but learning

Can't sleep days 2 and 3 on program? Help!

Post by vanbro1995 »

I am on day 4 of LDL.  I am enjoying the eating plan and have not had a hard time staying on it.  I have fruit and fruit smoothies for breakfast,  no snacks now, huge salad with chicken and black beans and boiled egg for lunch, smoothie for dinner between 8-9 P.M. then go to bed around 11:00 and lie awake till around 5 AM the last two nights.  I feel like when I have had caffeine at night.  I cannot feel sleepy till morning.  I am eating a lot of fruit at night and wonder if it is due to the sugar that I cannot sleep.  This has to stop or I will lose my job for coming in late.  I want to continue with the LDL program.  What should I do?
niki
Administrator

Re: Can't sleep days 2 and 3 on program? Help!

Post by niki »

vanbro1995 wrote:I am on day 4 of LDL.  I am enjoying the eating plan and have not had a hard time staying on it.  I have fruit and fruit smoothies for breakfast,  no snacks now, huge salad with chicken and black beans and boiled egg for lunch, smoothie for dinner between 8-9 P.M. then go to bed around 11:00 and lie awake till around 5 AM the last two nights.  I feel like when I have had caffeine at night.  I cannot feel sleepy till morning.  I am eating a lot of fruit at night and wonder if it is due to the sugar that I cannot sleep.  This has to stop or I will lose my job for coming in late.  I want to continue with the LDL program.  What should I do?

hi, vanbro.........everything you're doing is FINE....i wouldn't say that anything you're doing on let's do lunch would cause you to not sleep....i WOULD say that a smoothie so close to bedtime isn't that good an idea...6ish would be better....going to sleep on an empty stomach is way better for your body....your body doesn't have to keep working while you sleep...your digestive tract can rest TOO...tell me more about yourself....coffee habits...sugar habits.......what kind of eating did you do before 4 days ago?.....niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

I would agree with Mary's suggestion to move your fruit to the mornings and eat your beans, veggies at night and see if that will let you sleep.  Maybe your body just reacts to SUGAR in any form...even fruit sugar.  I guess it can't hurt...and could help.

Keep on...keeping on...trying to fine tune Let's Do Lunchtm so that your body loves it like the rest of us.  Stay on board the train.  There is a solution for your not sleeping at night...we will just have to keep trying whatever comes to mind for suggestions for you.

Love,
Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
vanbro1995
New, but learning

Post by vanbro1995 »

I want to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions.  I am sleeping much better now.  Roger Troy said he did not think it was due to the LDL fruit and smoothies and it seems that he was right.  I have cut out my tea with caffeine at lunch now, only having one cup at rising in the morning.  I will continue with LDL.  I made the meatloaf yesterday and have the ingredients to try several more recipes in the book.  I have also ordered the new version of the book and look forward to receiving that and the recipe cards.  This is a great program and a great website with so many people to help when we have a question, including the author of the book.  May God bless you all.
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

I'm so glad that you figured it out!  Let's Do Lunch is such a wonderful program - I would've hated to see you be forced to give it up before you barely got started.  And now that you're sleeping - WONDERFUL!!

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

that's GREAT......glad you figured it out..........it's funny that i could drink regular tea if i wanted and go right to sleep...it's regular COFFEE that keeps me awake..............niki
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Niki,
      I have the opposite problem with coffee. If I can't sleep at night all I need is a cup of coffee.Even esspresso coffee and within a very short time I am asleep. I asked the Doc about this and said it is because it hyper speeds my system and lets me go to sleep. I think Kris does this too. Most of my kids are like this . No sleeping pills for us.
                Judie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

snowbirdie wrote:Hi Niki,
      I have the opposite problem with coffee. If I can't sleep at night all I need is a cup of coffee.Even esspresso coffee and within a very short time I am asleep. I asked the Doc about this and said it is because it hyper speeds my system and lets me go to sleep. I think Kris does this too. Most of my kids are like this . No sleeping pills for us.
                Judie

i think that's GREAT.....i find most people as they get older can't tolerate coffee...i know a lot of older people that get palpitations from it and stuff like that....i used to LOVE espresso for that wonderful burst of energy it used to give me..............niki
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

WELCOME  TO  Let's Do Lunch!!!

I'm so glad you figured out what was keeping you from sleeping at night!  I know this is a great program...one that you will love for life!  It is the easiest program to follow for good health...and weight loss!

Again, so glad you have joined us and have gotten on board the train...headed...for.....

[glow=red,2,300]S K I N N Y T O W N!!![/glow]

Jeanne
Keep on...keeping on...on LDL..eating all the carbs and calories you want until full...and still lose weight.  Stay on board the train headed for...SKINNYTOWN!!!   Let's Do Lunch really works!!!
vanbro1995
New, but learning

Post by vanbro1995 »

I am just getting familiar with this posting business.  I did not even know I had your replies until today.  I like the support.  God bless you all.  My friend here at UC got the book after I told her about LDL and she started today.  It's great and exciting.
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Judie wrote: "I have the opposite problem with coffee. If I can't sleep at night all I need is a cup of coffee.Even esspresso coffee and within a very short time I am asleep. I asked the Doc about this and said it is because it hyper speeds my system and lets me go to sleep. I think Kris does this too. Most of my kids are like this . No sleeping pills for us."

Do ya'll have A.D.D.?
When my nephew was first diagnosed with it the doctor told his mother to give him a coke twice a day. It calmed his mind down.

I have always had trouble concentrating and sticking to the job I've started.
At 40 I was diagnosed with A.D.D.. Then a year later I had trouble with migraines (unrelated to the previous diagnosis). The neurologist told me to cut out all coffee. I laughed and told him "No Problem! I NEVER drink coffee." So then he retracted his earlier position and 'prescribed' me one cup a day whether I wanted it or not. He said most migrainers drink too much caffiene but the few who don't are actually helped by ~6 oz of coffee a day.

Ever since I started drinking coffee my mind has slowed down to a more manageable speed.
In the mornings my brother makes a pot and pours me a cup. I get up and drink it and immediately fall back to sleep. [He gets up EARLY!]

Six years later I still don't like coffee.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

EnJae wrote:Six years later I still don't like coffee.

it's funny how unique a thing coffee is...like chocolate is a candy, but so much more...coffee is a drink, but so much more.......there's NOTHING like the smell of coffee brewing and(to me)nothing like a good cup of coffee..........niki
ps...nj...did you not like it because you had to drink it for a reason? 
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Do ya'll have A.D.D.?

Funny NJ..I was gonna ask the same thing. My nephew also was told to be allowed 1-2 coffe or caffeinated drinks a day because of the ADD. I always wondered why TEA could allow me to sleep, but if I wanted to stay awake for a final etc I drank Caffeine Free DIET Coke. It made me wired! I was finally diagnosed as ADD about 2 years ago at age 37! (No wonder I couldn't concentrate in class as a kid...but had to have radio/TV etc on for homework or I couldn't concentrate!)
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

snowbirdie wrote:Hi Niki,
                Judie

I'm the same way, Judie - there are many times that John and I make a pot of coffee in the evenings - and shortly thereafter we'll be sitting on the couch and my head will drop forward because I'm asleep!  I drink coffee because I like it, but it doesn't wake me up...

Carolyn

vanbro1995
New, but learning

Post by vanbro1995 »

Well I am really sad today.  I have been doing LDL for one day shy of two weeks and have not lost a thing, actually gained one or two pounds.  I am so disappointed because I like the plan.  I am using the recipes and getting my information from the LDL book I got at the Library.  I even ordered the new one from this website and it should arrive today.  I considered just not telling anybody about my unusual outcome.  I don't know if it is because I have always been on one diet or another and eating healthy most all the time or if I am doing something so wrong.  I am a big eater.  That may be the reason I gained instead of losing on this LDL plan.  I eat a lot and at lunch, I really eat so much more than I need for fear I will get hungry before dinner time and we aren't supposed to have snacks in between meals.  So I stuff myself so much I am overdoing there I know.  I believe I will just have to cut way back on my lunches and allow a snack or two in the afternoons.  I also eat too much fruit with my smoothie I am sure.  I am just a big eater.  So, I don't know if we are supposed to put our weight on here or not, but I weigh 153 now and I am 5'4" barely.  I had been down to 148 before I started LDL.  A good weight for me is 132-135.  I need to get back to that so I can wear all the clothes stuffing my closets.  I am going to a beach the first week of April and so wanted LDL to work for me.  Today I am doing the flush day with all fruit and soup.  I made the mushroom soup in the book.  If anybody has any ideas for me, I would appreciate the suggestions.  Just don't say to not eat.
Forever Young
Master Member

Post by Forever Young »

My first comment would be to advise you to...STAY OFF THE SCALES!!!  ONCE per MONTH is sufficient.  I know it takes your body a few weeks to get accustomed to the LDL foods and style of eating...and I would imagine that means before you will notice a weight drop.

First of all, are your clothes feeling any larger than when you started LDL?  That is what I went by when I first started.  That was my first clue that something was happening.

I guess I would tell you to eat until you are FULL...NOT STUFFED.  In a few weeks time you find that your body will not eat as much...and at that point you need to slow down how much you eat.  BUT...wait until your body signals you before you TRY to cut down on the quantity of food.

As Niki would tell you...Eat plenty of beans, corn, peas, corn-on-the-cob, and popcorn.  They are good healthy carbs...and they help fill you UP without filling you OUT.  And she is right.

After I was on LDL for a few weeks, I noticed that it didn't take nearly as much food to fill me up as it did before I started LDL.  Now I only eat until I am FULL...and try NOT to stuff myself.

LDL really does work!  You just have to give it a couple weeks to a month for your system to "get with the program".  I am sure you will start losing.  Just don't quit tooooooo soon....and as one of the guys on the boards has stated...

[size=00]SCALES  ARE  FOR  FISH!!![/size]

Keep on...keeping on...on LDL...and stay on the train...we are headed for...

S K I N N Y T O W N !!!

Jeanne
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

listen, you should be eating until you're full.......period.....i mean, NOT until you're on the verge of being sick.....FULL.........fruit until you're full.......and you CAN snack...you should just be eating good sized meals so you don't snack too much....i eat my fruit in the morning and THEN i want popcorn........
  the easiest way of knowing what you're doing is for you to write out EVERYTHING you're eating and when..........and EXACTLY what jeanne said........stay off the scale....
  bear in mind that someone who has a lot of weight to lose is going to lose quickly in the beginning...you don't have a lot of weight to lose...you're not going to lose THAT quickly......i didn't EVEN weigh myself every month...i went TWICE for 2 months without losing anything......did i gain a few pounds in the first couple of weeks?...maybe.......i read that roger suggested only weighing once a month and that's what i did..........so i don't know..........niki 
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Hi Vanbro,

Both Jeanne and Niki have given you the very best advice there is.  I didn't realize that you didn't have very much to lose.  When I first started LDL, I did as Niki said and only weighed myself once a month.  I still follow that plan.

Like Niki, I had a period of MONTHS when I didn't lose anything - NOTHING!  It was during this time that Roger discovered that the Unsweetened Soy Nut Butter made him hungrier and hungrier... well, guess what I was consuming a lot of?  Yep, the Soy Nut Butter.  After that, I did start losing again, and by the time my 7 month anniversary rolled around, I'd lost 33 pounds.  So, YES, stay off the scales, and be patient.  It WILL happen.

Carolyn

joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Personally, I'm going to lose the scale. Once a year is plenty and I'll do that when I get my physical in June. All that really matters is how we feel, what your blood work reveals and how much better your clothes feel. Forget the scale, it will just make you nuts! The scale is not your friend. Roger is your friend.

We are not going to get anywhere if we continue to eat garbage......even the good tasting garbage. Nothing will change unless we make changes, permanent changes! It's not just a matter of throwing away the Twinkies, we need to deal with the stresses in our lives that trigger the binge eating. Only you know what those stresses are. They are usually the ones that wake you in the middle of the night. There comes a time when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.