greek salad

If you're looking for a great salad, check here first!
snowbirdie
Master Member

greek salad

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Niki
    Could you please tell me how to make a really good Greek salad? I have tried several different ones but they were just ok. I guess it is the dressing that is left wanting.  Thanks
                      Judie
niki
Administrator

Re: greek salad

Post by niki »

snowbirdie wrote:Hi Niki
    Could you please tell me how to make a really good Greek salad? I have tried several different ones but they were just ok. I guess it is the dressing that is left wanting.  Thanks
                      Judie

the salad dressings i like are blue cheese or ranch dressing...the oil and vinegar that i grew up with was never really what i liked...i put all these marinated vegetables on my salad now, so i don't use dressing..it's also the feta(missing from my ldl salad)that really makes a greek salad.............you should drizzle the olive oil on and add vinegar or pour them both over the salad(with salt and pepper) and toss it well...actually, the second was the way my mother and all the women in my family did it...........try that.....greek food is VERY ldl friendly.....ESPECIALLY souvlaki(i posted my mother's recipe on these boards a LONG time ago)...niki
Last edited by niki on January 22nd, 2008, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

Niki...did you know they make Reduced Fat Feta Cheese Crumbles??
If RT could add a small amount of Regular Blue Cheese crumbles to his salad, Why can't you add a small amount of RFFeta Crumble???? I do. Because I like a little cheese on my salad or I will eat too much Dressing etc (even though I've cut back on dressing w/ the Fork trick!! ) Just a thought! Good luck w/ the salads and ENJOY!!!!
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

robnveronica wrote:Niki...did you know they make Reduced Fat Feta Cheese Crumbles??

There is also Fat Free Feta - available to me at BJ's, so I imagine that Sam's and Costco also have it...

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi
    Than you all. What herbs do I add? Maybe None?
  I need to go to store for salad fixings as I am out. Can't go till friday though as there is no one to stay with Molly till then.Can't wait as we are getting very hungary for salad.
                      Judie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

robnveronica wrote:Niki...did you know they make Reduced Fat Feta Cheese Crumbles??

i LOVE cheese SO much that the less i eat it the better off i am...when i did low carbs, i stopped eating cheese because it gave me cravings...and, i have that fear that those feta crumbles would just keep on getting bigger and bigger....niki 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

snowbirdie wrote: What herbs do I add? Maybe None?

if you wanted to you could add a little thyme.....some greeks add oregano.....i LOVE oregano but i don't like it on my salad...experiment.................niki
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Niki
    Ok thank you. Kris went to the market and did my shopping for me so I didn't have to go out. Sooooo I have the stuff for a nice salad.  yum
                                Judie
MusicManiac

Post by MusicManiac »

I found this on http://www.allrecipes.com and it is fantastic!

Absolutely Fabulous Greek/House Dressing
Submitted By: DANIELLE M.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 10 Minutes
Servings: 10 (scaled down from the original 120 servings)

"This is the 'secret' Greek dressing recipe from the pizzeria that I work at. The recipe makes
almost a gallon but can be scaled down easily. It can be used for picnics and travels very well,
since it doesn't need to be refrigerated. This is the best dressing I have ever tasted, people offer
to buy it constantly, but if we sold it we wouldn't be able to make enough to use in the restaurant!"

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup olive oil
1-1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1-1/4 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
2/3 cup red wine vinegar

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a very large container, mix together the olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, pepper, salt,
onion powder, and Dijon-style mustard. Pour in the vinegar, and mix vigorously until well
blended. Store tightly covered at room temperature.
Fatwitch

Post by Fatwitch »

Thanks for the dressing...that sounds really good!!
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Niki, What is Souvlaki?  Thanks for the dressing recipe-will use it often.  Forever Friend