Oh Bean Queen...

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Vernswifevickie

Oh Bean Queen...

Post by Vernswifevickie »

I bought some raw, dried chick peas. I don't know how to cook them. Do I cook them just like the other beans? Thnaks so much for your help.

Also, as long as we're on the subject of beans...I am soaking, rinsing, boiling, rinsing and cooking them just the way you said...but the gas is still a pretty big issue for me...even with the beano. Does it really get better after a while as my body gets used to them? My poor hubby got home late last night after I was already asleep and it woke me up when he raised the covers to get into bed and whistled to himself and cried "Phwhewee!" He's also going around the house singing, "Beans, beans the musical fruit...." It's really quite embarrassing!
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Mom to Chris, Courtney & Colin
Grandma Honey to lil Miss Autumn
Daughter of the King!
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: Oh Bean Queen...

Post by robnveronica »

Not Bean Queen, but Princess of the Bean and yes you cook same way. Yes gas does get better (although I still get quite a bit, but decided who cares...I'm healthier), and you can try adding baking soda to the beans in the soak...it's suppose to help de-gas them . I'm sure Niki will chime in with more help but wanted you to know it does get better. I'm not "Tooting" as my kids call it as often as I was in the beginning!
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Now that I am on LDL consistently, for me the gas comes not when I am eating beans but when I eat something off-LDL. My body has become so adjusted to this way of eating that no adjustment is needed in my intestinal tract. But when I eat bread-y stuff my body goes -- "Whoa! What's THAT foreign substance! We better work harder!"  That's when the gas hits.
'Non-Gassy NJ'
DEBBIEWEBE

Post by DEBBIEWEBE »

I agree NJ.  Its not LDL that makes me gassy its when I veer off plan slightly and then eat LDL again that I get gassy.  If ever theres a problem it usually solves itself if I just go to the bathroom.  In fact Im suffering right at this moment and am really mad at myself for even cheating cause now I am dealing with a bloated stomach instead of my nice normal flat one.  Oh well, live and learn.
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

Yep, I agree!  When I'm totally on LDL, I no longer have any gas.  When I first started, I used Beano, but after a while, I just forgot --- and realized that I didn't need it any more.  Give it a while, Vickie - if it doesn't go away after a month or so, take a look and see if there isn't something non-LDL that's getting into your diet...

Dontcha just hate answers like that??  :-\

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

hi vickie....i know you're already a champ at cooking them...and yes, you treat the chick peas the same as any other bean(love em)........
  here's something else you can do...you can REALLY cook them a LOT until they're really falling apart.....you can eat more lentil soup(lentils are not as gassy as beans)...look for the recipe i posted for greek lentil soup...i also add meatballs to it which i LOVE...i got that idea from debbie...and try a pureed soup because it's more digestible........i personally love the taste of beans, so the only one i really like is israeli chickpea soup....i use garlic instead of onion(i think the recipe says to use onion)and instead of parsley, i use basil.........actually, i haven't made that in months...maybe I'LL cook some chickpeas myself and make some...i have basil in the freezer and i have plenty of fresh garlic....i like to slice grilled chicken on top, too...........do this stuff to help your body get used to it......and PLEASE try to get your husband to eat some..........i'm fighting the urge to write "so you can both make beautiful music together"...............oooppss.............WHO wrote that???
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Queenie
Administrator

Post by Queenie »

niki wrote:..........i'm fighting the urge to write "so you can both make beautiful music together"...............oooppss.............WHO wrote that???

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!  And since he's a musician.........  ;D

Carolyn
My Weight Loss ProgressImage

John's Weight Loss ProgressImage

[b][i]"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."
Vernswifevickie

Thanks everyone for the answers and advice. I'm sure it will get better with time. I do add baking soda to the soak water but maybe I need to cook them longer. Today it wasn't as bad. I doubled the dose of beano and it seemed to help. Vern thinks it's all very funny...although he did almost sleep in the office last night! He won't eat the beans and even if he did, he has a colostomy so he has total control over when he lets the gas out of the bag. So he doesn't stink up the house when he has gas...he just goes outside and purges his bag!

Niki...I will check out that recipe....thanks
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Daughter of the King!
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

do you have any animals? if so you could always blame it on them!
Vernswifevickie

robnveronica wrote:do you have any animals? if so you could always blame it on them!

That's funny! I wish I could blame it on the cats but he already knows how they smell...and it's not the same...LOL Speaking of pets. I am going to be taking my cat, Misha, to the vet this morning and most likely having to have her put down. It's a sad day :(
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Daughter of the King!
BradyBunchMom

Post by BradyBunchMom »

Vicki,

So sorry about your cat. 

We are having cat issues in our home too.....we welcomed a new cat into our home on my daughter's birthday Feb. 7th.  She loves this cat...we intended for it to be an outside cat when we got it because my husband is allergic to cats, but he allowed her to keep it in her room for a while because she was so excited and took to it.  Well, the cat didn't cause my husband an allergic reaction so we never banished it to the outside and it has gradually grown more used to all of us and makes itself comfortable around the house.  This past week my 3yo has been getting puffy eyes and face on and off...especially keeping him up at night.  We finally realized it was the cat.  My daughter is going to try to keep it in her room again but she said that if that doesn't work she would rather give it away than banish it to the outside as we have had coyote problems in the past.  She is very sad at the thought :'(

Praying for your visit to the vet,
Julie
Vernswifevickie

Julie...I'm sorry to hear about the allergy problems with your cat. My oldest son's birthday is also Feb 7...but Feb 7, 1975...LOL

So I did have to have my beloved cat, Misha, put down. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do but I know in my heart it was the right thing to do and it was peaceful and quick. I took the morning off from work to pull myself together. I delivered meals for meals on wheels today. The elderly people I deliver to always cheer me up. Now I'm at work.
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Daughter of the King!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Vernswifevickie wrote:So I did have to have my beloved cat, Misha, put down. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do but I know in my heart it was the right thing to do and it was peaceful and quick.

i'm sorry, vickie.........
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Vernswifevickie

Thank you Niki...this is a hard day :(
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Daughter of the King!
BradyBunchMom

Post by BradyBunchMom »

So sorry Vicki!
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

I know this torture well. I'm crying with you Vickie.
{I've made this choice often enough that I end up trying to make our vet feel better about having to do it!}
cm in tn

Post by cm in tn »

Hey Vickie,

I'am right there with you, I to have problems with gas,no matter how I cook my beans still gasey.I eat them and if going out in public take gasx thats helps some but as you know its still deadly at times lol!!!!

So when I eat salad also have gas thouhgt it was my age but its ldl not been on plan gas gone so back on plan this week and i putter every step I take at work I keep fragrance spray from bath n body so when i spray physically I SPRAY THE spray from bnb lol the one's for home it guickly covers up if some ones walk's in.I know mine isn't medical all's well with my colon had scope done last fall so its got to be what we'er eating, so there I have helped you alot for sure lol.

Stay on plan the loss is worth the gas not only that, you feel so much better.Today makes day 3 for me really proud of myself will really try to stick with it not long and will be warm weather. Welcome aboard not posted much and that could be lot of my problem also.COME IN And read some but not posting.Good luck with all.Sorry about your little fur ball we get so attached to our pets.

FROM CM IN TN
I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHICH STRENGTHENETH ME : PHILIPPIANS 4:13
Vernswifevickie

Thank you all so much for the words of condolence regarding my cat. The kind words really do help to soothe the pain.

CM IN TN..I can't really say I'm too encouraged about the gas thing...LOL. But I think I might be more like you and may just have to learn good ways of coping with the gas. The fragrance is a great idea. Luckily right now the weather is really nice here so I can keep the doors open at work and step outside when I need to. Vern, on the other hand, might end up moving into the guest room..LOL...not really, he'll deal with it...he's just going to tease me unmercifully!

By the way CM IN TN...you look so much like the woman at my church who runs the children's ministry! It's uncanny...you could pass for her!
Vickie
Wife to Vern
Daughter of the King!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

EVEN if i have a gas problem, i DON'T have a problem.......i had bought a couple of extra heads of cabbage for st pat's day and didn't know what to do with them....i chopped them up and sauteed them with a little olive oil.....TERRIBLE gas.....BUT, i work in a nursing home.....i just walk in the clean utility room and walk out leaving my gas behind me....am i being gross?...sorry...i'm a nurse...it takes a LOT to gross me out.....and FLATULENCE IS a fact of life....
  now that just happened to me because i ate a LOT of cabbage.....but, you'll see that your bodies will get used to it...bear in mind that dried beans are less gassy than canned beans..and pureed soup and lentil soup are less gassy than bean soup....so, mix them up a little..alternate...until your body gets used to them...