rice

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
rollingpat
New, but learning

rice

Post by rollingpat »

Hi everyone,
It's been months since I first tried LDL.  I think I wasn't ready for the long haul.  Lots of different things have changed in my life.  Right now I'm on an infusion therapy, interferon, for 2-3 hrs. every week.  I have been fighting skin cancers for several years, have had 25-30 surgeries, another scheduled in 2 weeks.  Thank the good Lord they are not melanoma, they are squamish cell.  Anyhow I was looking for something to read and lo and behold the LDL book eased into my hand and I'm going for the gusto this time.  I have a fridge full of fruit and beans soaking as we speak.
I noticed on the posts that the dark brown rice seems to be added to the menu...I really enjoy rice, seems to be a comfort food for me so I will be buying some soon.  I imagine I will need to go to a health food store for it.  Thanks for all the great recipes...looking forward to losing some pounds and getting healthy.
Pat AKA rollingpat
robnveronica
Master Member

Re: rice

Post by robnveronica »

Welcome Back Ms. Pat!!! We're sorry to hear of your difficulties, but are glad you're back with us. You'll find this pretty easy to follow and who knows...maybe you'll just find yourself able to improve your health as well. Be sure to check with your doc as you don't want to do anything that might jeopardize your treatment!! If he/she says OK...then GO FOR IT GIRL!!! We've had many differing opinions about the dark brown rice. We know 100% for certain you won't GAIN weight w/ the correct rice, however it is still kinda up in the air for whether or not you can really lose with it. You're welcome to be another guinea pig for us!!!
rollingpat
New, but learning

Post by rollingpat »

Roger,
Do you have any new books in the making?  How is the media coverage going on your program.  I wish you all the luck in the future.
We spent last winter in Fl. and will do the same this year, why I didn't stick with LDL I'll never know.  Too much excitement and playing golf to stay on track I guess.  The book will go with me this year!  Hope to leave some fat in Florida!!  Thanks again for all the support that you lend to this group.
Blessings
Pat
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

rollingpat wrote:Roger,

We spent last winter in Fl. and will do the same this year, why I didn't stick with LDL I'll never know.  Too much excitement and playing golf to stay on track I guess.  The book will go with me this year!  Hope to leave some fat in Florida!!  Blessings
Pat

This is just the very best time of the year to be on LDL. The fresh fruits are available and affordable. The "corn is as high as an elephant's eye", the barbecues are ablaze..........life is good.

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
itsmimi

Post by itsmimi »

Didn't Howard Keele sing that Joe?  I concur, life is good.
Mimi
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

itsmimi wrote:Didn't Howard Keele sing that Joe?  I concur, life is good.
Mimi

It was Gordon MacRae. The character (Curly) was created by Alfred Drake on Broadway.

Joe
Last edited by joecaracappa on August 11th, 2008, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

marysimmons wrote:
itsmimi wrote:Didn't Howard Keele sing that Joe? 
Mimi

Oh yes, I'm not Joe, but it's from the musical Oklahoma, isn't it?!  I haven't listened to the soundtrack for years, but I really liked Oklahoma.  And yes, Joe, the fresh fruit and veggies this time of year are awesome.  I bought my first "pluots" of the season today.  Yum yum yum.

Mary

When I was young and not hard to look at.....(I had a nun in high school, Sister Richard, who always started her stories with that), I got involved with at production of Oklahoma at Barry University in Miami (1968) that had to open in 3 weeks..from scratch! The there were no auditions, there was no time, we were just assigned parts (I was Jud Fry). We were at the theatre day and night in between our classes. Barry was a women's college and the male parts went to local actors and people from Biscayne College (where I went to school).

If we weren't rehearsing (with the director or each other), we were building, getting fitted for costumes or napping (besides the naps we took in the classrooms).

We had to learn our songs on our own and then clear them with the musical director. (They were originally going to cut one of my songs to save time but decided to leave it in at the last minute).

The show opened three weeks later from nothing and as I look back I probably am remembering it to be better than it actually was, but still remains the most fun I ever had doing a show. I think we should do it at the ranch, I see Tom as Jud........Mary as Laurie.......Carla as Ado Annie......Gwenn as Aunt Eller............I need a Curly, oh dear God we are short of men! This is like college all over again!

Joe
Last edited by joecaracappa on August 11th, 2008, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcasola
Administrator

Post by tcasola »

need a Curly, oh dear God we are short of men

How about Roger Troy ?!?!?!? He’s debonair ... Roger ... get those vocal chords in shape !!!!

and maybe we can rewrite it a little, to make it more in the LDL vein - and we can call it OKRA-homa

... OooooooooKRAhoma where the beans are growing by the lane !!! And the Wasa Light wheat - is good for an occasional treat ... and loosing weight isn't a paaaaiiiiinnnn !!!
Last edited by tcasola on August 11th, 2008, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me

Matthew 22:36-40

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get when I lose weight”
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

tcasola wrote:
need a Curly, oh dear God we are short of men

How about Roger Troy ?!?!?!? He’s debonair ... Roger ... get those vocal chords in shape !!!!

and maybe we can rewrite it a little, to make it more in the LDL vein - and we can call it OKRA-homa

... OooooooooKRAhoma where the beans are growing by the lane !!! And the Wasa Light wheat - is good for an occasional treat ... and loosing weight isn't a paaaaiiiiinnnn !!!

I see Roger as Andrew Carnes singing "The Farmer and the Cowhand Should Be Friends", good song that opens the second act............he'll get to wave a shotgun around!

I like the rewrite idea. We could do "Berries Make Us Slim on Top", "Poor Jud Ate Bread", "With Me It's LDL or Nuth'in"..................wait a sec, didn't Mad magazine do this in the 60's ???

There's a bright golden glaze on the eggroll,
There's a bright golden glaze on the eggroll,

The hot egg foo young,
really pleases the tongue.

and the tea's in the pot,
and the waiter's named Chung.

Oh what a glorious dinner,
Oh what a great Moo Goo Gai Pan.

We're having forty-eight courses,
we're on the family plan!

Joe
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

marysimmons wrote:You guys are cracking me up!!!  So that's what happened to Jud, huh?  He ate bread! Now I know.  My favorite line in the "Poor Jud is Dead" song is "....His fingernails never looked so clean!"  I can't remember the character parts very well anymore.  If I'm Laurie, do I get to sing "I'm just a Girl who Can't Say No," or does Carla get to sing it?  I LOVE that song!

OKRA-homa will be a great hit!  We'll perform after our first run of the "Wizard of Oz" closes at the LDL Ranch.  Count me in.

Little Mary

My favorite line in that song:

He looks like he's asleep,
it's a shame that he won't keep,
but it's summer
and we're runn'in outa ice!

Yeah, it's Carla's song but you still get three songs to her two..................and you get Curly!

And as far as Tom and I cracking you up................that's out job and we do it well!

Joe
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Oh, you guys!!!!  Thank you so much for the wonderful cleansing laughter you gave me this morning.  I had tears running down my cheeks. I'm going to have to re-learn lyrics.  Okra-homa is one of my favorite shows of all time.  Who gets to play Eddie Albert's role of the itinerant salesman?  And that girl with the irritating laugh who's hung up on Curly? If I was younger I'd join in all the dance numbers.  Thanks again.
Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

patsyfay wrote:Oh, you guys!!!!  Thank you so much for the wonderful cleansing laughter you gave me this morning.  I had tears running down my cheeks. I'm going to have to re-learn lyrics.  Okra-homa is one of my favorite shows of all time.  Who gets to play Eddie Albert's role of the itinerant salesman?  And that girl with the irritating laugh who's hung up on Curly? If I was younger I'd join in all the dance numbers.  Thanks again.
Pat

How about The General as Ali Hakim (the salesman)?

Gertie (the irritating laugh) would be a problem to cast as I don't know what most of the women sound like (I've met Veronica and Gramasuz but there was nothing irritating about them).

O.K., WE HAVE OPEN CASTING FOR THE PART OF GERTIE CUMMINGS. THE PART WILL REQUIRE SOMEONE WITH A FLURTATIOUS NATURE AND AN IRRATING LAUGH. LEAVE YOUR NAME AND VERY BEST CACKLE AT 818-613-2536. ALL IRRATING LAUGHS WILL BECOME THE PROPERTY OF LDL PRODUCTIONS LTD AND WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
J. CARACAPPA, DIRECTOR
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

(I've met Veronica and Gramasuz but there was nothing irritating about them).

AWWW how sweet!! but are you sure that you remember what we sound like since it's been forever and a day since we've seen each other?? Don't forget to simply tell us where and when  and we'd be happy to meet you. Of course if you're not busy on Sat  Sept 27 You could go with us to a Gospel  Potluck Picnic. Many of the groups mom and I enjoy will be there informally and everyone has lots of fun. We have a group sing along in the evening. It all starts around 2pm and goes til ? ? ? ?
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

joecaracappa wrote:O.K., WE HAVE OPEN CASTING FOR THE PART OF GERTIE CUMMINGS. THE PART WILL REQUIRE SOMEONE WITH A FLURTATIOUS NATURE AND AN IRRATING LAUGH. LEAVE YOUR NAME AND VERY BEST CACKLE AT 818-613-2536. ALL IRRATING LAUGHS WILL BECOME THE PROPERTY OF LDL PRODUCTIONS LTD AND WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
J. CARACAPPA, DIRECTOR

i called you.............did you hear my cackle ::) ???.......it was a GOOD one.......i'm WAITING TO AUDITION........i also faxed you my resume.......in my youth, i sang with a band that did weddings, sang the national anthem acapella in front of 1000 people TWICE, presently sing with a 50s band(my brother's).......in church, music is my ministry..............AND depending on WHO plays the part of curly, I WANT to try out for the LEAD..............haha....   
Last edited by niki on August 13th, 2008, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

Niki:

I checked my cell phone, there was no cackle on it! Which could only mean that you cackled for a total stranger. I posted the correct number so you need to check and re-cackle.

I already cast Little Mary as Laurie but seeing as she is married in real life, you can have a backstage romance with Curly.

Perhaps we should hire a celebrity actor to play Curly. We could charge admission and attract people who live near the ranch to pay for the production...................so let me put this to the ladies, if you could choose a smoking hot celebrity to play Curly, who would it be?

Joe

P.S. by the way Niki, you just became the musical director!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

joecaracappa wrote:    you can have a backstage romance with Curly.

P.S. by the way Niki, you just became the musical director!

NOW we're talkin..............
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..