Extremely discouraged

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Logan06

Extremely discouraged

Post by Logan06 »

I have been on the program for almost 4 weeks. I was weighed at the doctor before I started and weigh the same today.
I know I should not have, but I was very discouraged because of that and ended up going to a buffet and eating all the wrong things
out of frustration. If I am not going to lose I may as well eat things that I want. Is there anyone else out there that did not lose weight after 3-4 weeks?
Every program I am on it is the same way no weight loss and I end up going back to my previous eating habits. Roger says you can lose weight
quickly but I have not been successful. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your support.
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: Extremely discouraged

Post by patsyfay »

Logan,

I see that you are discouraged.  Do you take any medications?  I know they can hinder weight loss, depending on what they are.  Niki can give you a more indepth idea of how that happens, but I take meds and I know that I would lose more easily if I wasn't on them.  I've also read about people who have been on LDL and didn't lose for the first three or four months (I believe Mary has a friend who didn't lose at first), but then they started losing like mad.  Please don't abandon LDL!!  It will work for you. We didn't put this weight on in just weeks or months, at least I didn't.  I worked for years to put all my weight on.  And I've been working for two years so far to get it off.  And it's going, a little at a time, but it's going.

Pat
Last edited by patsyfay on November 6th, 2008, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

i've never seen roger say let's do lunch was a quick loss, logan......in the ten months it took me to lose the weight i wanted to lose, 2 different times i went for 2 months without losing ANYTHING.........i didn't weigh myself until my clothes felt looser....and because i'm in my 50s AND have an underactive thyroid, i DON'T lose easily........in that time that i was losing, i had to be absolutely meticulous in what i ate....some people can go off a little and still lose....i'm NOT one of those people..........i would do low carbs and not lose anything for weeks and become discouraged and go off....but, let's do lunch is such a wonderful way of eating that i didn't care if i lost a pound a month....that was GREAT.............
  you are also a diabetic, so you, of all people, should also be happy to eat this way because it will control your diabetes....you also must know that it is often harder for a diabetic to lose weight...maybe you might want to place yourself on the most basic let's do lunch for a while with only the whole fruit...and i would be very careful with extra sauces containing sugar...i also would like to tell you that nothing stabilizes your blood sugars the way beans do....you CANNOT eat too many beans............i was reading your old posts and saw that you eat a lot of rotisserie chicken...this is something i haven't wanted to mention because i know that a lot of people here do eat it and it IS in the book, but have you ever read what they inject into the birds to make them so juicy?......once i did that, i never eat rotisserie chicken when i'm strictly on track..............................

life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

Hey Logan!

i went a couple of months (maybe even 3 months) before i started losing weight with LDL the first time and then forgetaboutit, i lost like crazy -- about 4 pounds every month!!  This time, after going off LDL gaining and restarting, it was 2 months before i saw my first 5 pound drop just this morning.

don't be discouraged.  Keep going.  Start over again brand new.  If you believe in God, then pray about it and we'll put you on our lists also.  I generally pray for all my LDL sisters and brothers every day, but sometimes, if someone has a particular need, i concentrate extra on that person.  You know it's only the negative forces of the universe that are trying to throw you off track and undermine your success! 

Don't worry about today, Our Lord gives us a brand new day every 24 hours and it's a wonderful time to start anew!

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and don't forget to come HERE on the boards for our support and encouragement.  There's absolutely no reason to do this all by yourself!  If you had come directly here after seeing that you had not lost weight, we would have told you that it is not unusual. 

Also, are you eating enough?  I'm wondering why you went off LDL at the buffet?  Did you have cravings or do you think it was completely tied to your disappointment?  Eat a whole bunch and don't worry about losing weight.  The weight will naturally come off if you keep going.  I recommend that you stay away from the dark brown rice at least until you show some weight loss!

I agree with Niki in that i am sure that Roger says not to worry about weight loss...just keep eating all you want of LDl foods unti lyou are really really full. 

And also remember that if you're eating great quantities of delicious filling, flavorful foods like we do on LDL and you're not gaining weight, then that is progress. 

God bless!
margo
Logan06

Post by Logan06 »

Again thanks for responding. Niki, you are right. I went back over the book
and it does not say quick weight loss. He did say it would be quicker weight loss
without diet drinks and alcohol. That is where I got confused, so I do feel
a little better. I am on Metformin and Zocor which could be slowing any weight loss.
I did go to the buffet and eat out of disappointment. It looked good to me,
but I didn't really have a craving. Next time I will come to the boards before
going off to eat non LDL foods. Sometimes it is a little confusing. In the book
he mentions we can have tomato soup along with skim milk. I know it was mentioned before that tomato soup has sugar and we are not supposed to have skim milk,  but
it is listed in the book. So maybe some of what I am having is now not allowed. I
don't really know but will try again.
margo
Master Member

Post by margo »

yes Logan...do try again and read the book again from cover to cover.....

there's a tomato soup recipe here on the boards.  If you search for it, i'm sure you'll find it...or look under soup recipes...

and don't forget to eat your beans! lentils...corn...peas!

you'll be just fine!

God bless...
margo
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

you can do it, logan....just be patient........and look to do the most basic plan at least in the beginning so you CAN have a good loss to get you started........i CAN'T stress TOO much that you should eat as many beans and lentils as possible................
  the best investment for success is having plenty of allowable food available...i cook boneless chicken breasts or allowable meatballs and freeze them so i have a number of meals ready in the freezer..............work on that...it'll serve you well................niki   
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi Logan.  Don't give up!  I lost some at the beginning because I started at 409 pounds -- I had A LOT to lose and I was bloated with a lot of stored fluids, so some of the water weight came off when I stopped eating my peanuts, chocolate, potato chips, and salty snacks all day long every day.  But I didn't lose any real weight for the first 3-4 months.  But I didn't WANT to give up because this is the very very very VERY FIRST "diet" that doesn't restrict ANY of the food groups or quantites we are allowed to eat at meals. 

I was on the program for six weeks before I read the book, so learning from the people on the boards and the recipes posted here, I was working with a slightly newer set of "rules" regarding sugar in the allowable foods mentioned in the book.  When I did finally read the book, I was a little shocked at how many choices are in there that I would never dream would be allowable.  Even though all those foods worked for Roger, I didn't want to eat some of them because I was so happy when I finally got free of potatoes, rice, flour and sugar.  For instance, I chose not to have the Made Rights made with canned tomato soup, or the stuffed baked potatoes where you throw away half the potato and combine the rest with healthy stuffing ingredients -- that kind of thing. 

Roger says to eat the least fattening version of a food that still tastes good to you.  I like to take it one step further and eat the least complicated dishes with the fewest aritficial ingredients -- that still taste good to me.  If your food doesn't taste good to you, then what's the point, right?  I still take advantage of commercially prepared convenience foods, but I'm a scrupulous label reader and try to stay away from a bunch of chemicals.

It is possible that something in the allowable foods you are eating may be slowing down your weight loss.  My suggestion is to eat the simplest form of each food, that still tastes good to you, with the fewest chemicals and aritificial ingredients, until your weight loss gears up.  Then try adding the specialty dishes from the book slowly, watching to see how your body reacts.

I wish you mountains of success and a skinnier body very soon!  The catchphrase they use at our church is ,

[glow=red,2,300]YOU BE ENCOURAGED ! ! ![/glow]
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
robnveronica
Master Member

Post by robnveronica »

OK...now here's my take on all of this. Remember in the beginning you are NOT eating to LOSE WEIGHT!!!! Your way of eating in the beginning is TO LOSE THE CRAVINGS!!!!! Once the cravings and blood sugars are under control, you'll naturally eat less and less therefore eating fewer calories and losing weight! Try posting a daily log of your own as to what exactly you are eating. Then we can analyze it and see if maybe there is something you are eating that is hindering your weight loss. We don't need to know how much, just the ingredients. Also, remember to use other "Scales" to determine if you are losing: Rings loose, pants looser, belt needing to be tightened a notch, moving easier, sleeping better etc.
I've recently been really watching my eating. Making sure I'm eating legit. Has my "weight" on the true scale moved?? NOT AN OUNCE!! for how long?? 3-4 months! How bout my other "Scales"? Rings are looser, people are asking if I'm losing weight, clothes are fitting better. 
Do you see a pattern here?? And I've been on program just over 2 years. I've not lost all of my weight. I'm barely 40 yrs old, work full time, have 3 monsters err children (yeah that's right remember the  :angel:'s LOL), live in a small apt with no room to really cook or store food. I eat fast food and I make the best choices that I can. I get salads, (and ask for specially prepared foods...like Del Taco...Deluxe taco salad..NO shell, NO guacamole, NO sour cream) and places will make things like you want them if you ask.
You CAN and WILL do this Logan. We're here for you anytime.
Veronica
slimdown08

Post by slimdown08 »

It's not about the weight loss it is about how you feel and it took me 4 week to break the addiction of sweets and fast foods loaded with fat ,it was very hard and I was ill a lot of the time I felt very sorry for myself but I would not give up until I broke the sugar habit and now this week has been easier and I have so much energy I am so shocked at how I feel, the Dr. told my father who had a heart attack eat fast food and you will died fast I so knew in the 1980's fat would kill you so think about the inside of you and read "Sugar Shock" and this book will reinforce Roger's book and you will know God gave this to Roger to save us from a quick death of bad eating habits which I had but now I feel so clean inside I don't won't that junk in me,just don't give up........slimdown08
24/7mom

Post by 24/7mom »

Today is my first day in starting my eating habits over. This has came about after putting on an extra 60 pounds after having an accident in 2004. I am hopeful that if I can lose weight that it will also help my husband desire to also lose the extra weight that he has put on over the last few years. Thanks for the wonderful boast.
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Welcome, 24/7Mom!!

This way of eating/living is wonderful.  Your eating habits will finally stabilize and you will lose all the weight you want to and still eat all you want, as much as you want, whenever you want. I consider LDL a miracle, because I used to be hungry ALL THE TIME. Now, I happily eat all the LDL food I want and don't sit around the rest of the day thinking about what I'm going to eat next.  If you don't have the book, you can order it right here.  It's worth it and will give you a good handle on the do's and don'ts of LDL.  Again, welcome.

Pat (Lost 55+ lbs. and still going)
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Hopeful Kathy

Post by Hopeful Kathy »

Hello Logan:

I am a newbie to LDL and haven't even received my book yet but please do not give up...

Continue to do what your doing and when you have questions besure to ask them.  I have noticed that from other's questions I am learning how to change my eating habits a long with receiving the encouragement I need to succeed.

I know from past experience that when you really do what your suppose to and things are not going the way we feel they should, we have the tendency to get discouraged and if like me and you are an emotional eater, this can be a weakness that I have found hurts me in the long run everytime...

Remember too that even though your weight didn't change, I bet you lost inches.  If you had started an exercise program muscle weighs more than fat.  So their are many things that we need to think about on a positive  note that we have been doing before we get all upset and do something that we will regret doing. 

As for as eating at the buffet; more than likely you were very bloated and felt horrible afterwards.  :sick:          But instead of getting frustrated with your actions, you just need to go right back to eating the LDL way and not look back...

I will keep you in my prayers and if you need a boost of encouragement their are plenty of us that are available to help you out when times get tough...

Hang in there!  You will soon achieve the results you are working for...  ~ Kathy