Words of Wisdom for Newcomers?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
dakotagirl

Words of Wisdom for Newcomers?

Post by dakotagirl »

I am a newcomer to LDL and I see that there are a number of us "newbies" here.  For those of you who have BTDT for a while now - what advice or tips can you give those of us who are just starting - things that you have found to be helpful in your weight loss journey?
EnJae
Master Member

Re: Words of Wisdom for Newcomers?

Post by EnJae »

(What's 'BTDT'?  -'been to diet-town'? lol)

One of the biggest lessons I learned was to stop beating myself up over 'slips'
When I gave into a craving or just flat out sabotaged myself because of emotional issues, at first I would really be hard on myself, which triggered more binging on off-plan foods.
It took awhile but I finally learned to say: " Well, I made a poor choice. What can I eat next time to stay on-plan?"
Last edited by EnJae on January 4th, 2009, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dakotagirl

Post by dakotagirl »

BTDT is Been There Done That.
dakotagirl

Post by dakotagirl »

I genuinely believe that God led me to this program.  I was reading some posts on another message board - not related to diet or weight loss - and ran across a post mentioning your book by someone that I don't know and have never been in communication with.  I decided then and there that I would buy the book and do the plan (unfortunately, I bought it from a bookstore before finding this site). 
dakotagirl

Post by dakotagirl »

Yes, you have sent them to me - thank you very much!
Saved4Life

Post by Saved4Life »

Welcome dakotagirl!

I am so happy to be an LDL'er!    My friend Gwen introduced me to LDL, and I've been on board since Sept. 22nd. 

Best advise I can offer, is when starting out EAT EAT EAT all you want of and LDL friendly foods, and in due time, for me it was about a week, the old cravings fade away, and you start to feel fuller, faster! 

For me...sitting down in the evening with a giant bowl of popcorn with EVOO was what got me through my hardest hours of the day, which was a night, after work and settling in to relax for the evening.  That's when I break out the popcorn!  I still do!  My husband has become addicted to it also, so now it's come down to making TWO big bowls of popcorn at a time!

Hang in there and Welcome to LDL!

Blessings and Hugs,
Doreen
sval59

Post by sval59 »

I can't even believe all the food I'm eating and still losing weight.  The last plan I tried was Weight Watchers and even though I lost 20 pounds, I had to portion everything out, and if I ate anything at all that had a significant amount of calories - even fruit, I was limited for the rest of the day on what I could have.  I love the freedom of this plan.  And, for breakfast today for example, I had a banana, 4 clementines and a lot of grapes.  On Weight Watchers, that probably would have been most of my points for the day!  But on LDL, I still can eat until I'm full the rest of the day.  Got to love it!

Cheryl
dakotagirl

Saved4Life - Thanks for the tip!

Post by dakotagirl »

Evening is a hard time for me as well - the rest of the day goes pretty smoothly, but I do battle in the evenings.  I'll most definitely get my big bowl of popcorn out for tonight!
Saved4Life

Re: Saved4Life - Thanks for the tip!

Post by Saved4Life »

dakotagirl wrote:Evening is a hard time for me as well - the rest of the day goes pretty smoothly, but I do battle in the evenings.  I'll most definitely get my big bowl of popcorn out for tonight!

You go girl...that's what gets me through MANY, MANY nights, is my big bowl of yummy popcorn!!!

Keep posting, we are all here for each other.

Doreen
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

I can totally understand how evenings can be a hard time.  I still struggle with this some because there are days I don't slow down long enogh to eat enough until evening.  Then there are other times I think it is just habit.  Just keep going....eat until full all the LDL foods you need (even at night)....the cravings will go...it will get easier!

Blessings,
Julie
dakotagirl

Post by dakotagirl »

It's more out of habit and/or boredom than hunger/cravings.  Part of it is the long winter evenings here - the rest of the year we're outside doing something later in the day.  I try to stay busy with needlework or a good book (hope to receive my LDL book soon)!
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Yes, Dakota Girl, just trying to encourage you...really didn't think Roger Troy sounded harsh.

I know we all have different life circumstances...I would have a very hard time living north of the Red River, let alone in the Dakotas:-). But, LDL really does work for everyone that commits to doing just as Roger Troy said (in the book and on this forum). I praise the Lord for giving him such a doable plan and that RT so willingly    shares it with all of us.

Blessings,
Julie
dakotagirl

Post by dakotagirl »

I appreciate anything that will help to be successful with LDL, and Roger, I appreciate any input you can provide that will aid my progress.  I didn't take it as being harsh.