biscuit with garbarzo beans

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
oma
New, but learning

biscuit with garbarzo beans

Post by oma »

hi all i back  i cant find receipt for garbanzo
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: biscuit with garbarzo beans

Post by patsyfay »

Here is the recipe for Garbanzo Bean Biscuits, Oma!

Banzo Biscuits – Basic Recipe
1 very heaping measuring cup of cooked GARBANZOS (or one 15 oz. can) -- rinsed, drained & dried off with paper towels
1 jumbo EGG (or ¼ c. Egg Substitute)
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 ½ tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Kosher Salt only if the beans are unsalted
Mix the following in a small cup.  Use half in the batter; reserve other half for sprinkling tiny pinches across tops prior to cooking:
½ tsp. Onion Powder
½ tsp. Garlic Powder
¼ tsp. Dried Herbs (I used thyme, rosemary & oregano)
4-5 dashes freshly ground Peppercorns
¼ tsp. Kosher Salt

Combine all ingredients (except half of seasoning mixture) in food processor bowl and process to a smooth batter.  Portion equally into 8 small paper baking cups, about 2 heaping tablespoons each.  Line a large flat baking dish with 2 layers of paper towels and arrange four of the filled cups evenly inside, leaving generous space between and around them.  Sprinkle seasoning mixture, as above.  Cook on high power, 1 ½ to 2 ½ minutes, (rotating dish halfway through if no turntable) until no wet spots remain on top.  If needed, continue cooking in 30-second increments until done.  Check by gently touching tops in several places with finger.  Remove biscuits from the baking dish, setting them aside on their paper towel while cooking second batch on fresh paper towels.  (They exude a lot of water through the paper, during and after cooking.)  Serve hot with your favorite biscuit toppings on the side.  Makes 8 biscuits.

Note:  When fresh, these tend to dissolve with anything wet on them, so serve toppings on the side to enjoy with each bite.  Served day-old at room temp., you can break them into thick soups and they take the place of cornbread.  To keep longer, refrigerate or freeze in a single layer on top of a paper towel placed inside a large zipper bag.

Variations I have tried: 
Cheese Biscuits -- Just before portioning into baking cups, stir 2 Tbsp. grated non-fat cheddar into batter by hand.  Sprinkle tops as above, adding a pinch of grated parmesan to each just before cooking.
Pizza Biscuits – Omit garlic powder and add 1 Tbsp. Tomato Basil and Garlic Mrs. Dash® to batter.  Sprinkle tops with 1 tsp. of the same Mrs. Dash mixed with 1 tsp. grated parmesan.  Halfway through cooking, evenly divide 2 Tbsp. grated mozzarella onto each.  Finish cooking as above.  Serve with warm sugar-free marinara sauce on the side for dipping.
Deep Dish Pizza -- Spread all batter into a sprayed 2 qt. casserole dish, leaving a well in the center, pushing it higher on the edges.  It will even out as it cooks.  Cook until very firm.  Top with your favorite cooked and cooled LDL pizza toppings (minus the sauce), lowfat mozzarella & parmesan, and heat until cheese bubbles.

Beanana Bread Muffins – Using the basic biscuit recipe, omit last 5 ingredients. Add small ripe banana, an extra egg, increase evoo to 2 Tbsp. and increase baking powder to 2 tsp.  Add 1-2 tsp. NuStevia and 1-2 tsp. sweet spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin pie spice) and 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract or insides scraped from a 2-inch piece of vanilla bean.  Because of the extra ingredients, this makes 10-12 good-sized muffins, using a generous ¼c. measure for each.  Allow extra space between them and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turning pan until no wet spots remain.  Works best if you only cook four at a time.  Note:  I like these so much, I’m going to invest in one of those flexible silicone muffin cup baking pans so these will turn out looking like real bakery muffins.
Apple Raisin Bran Muffins – Using basic beanana muffin recipe, above, omit banana and add ¼ c. Fiber One or 100% All Bran cereal to processor.  After processing, stir in ¾ c. chopped apple mixed with 1 tsp. lemon juice and 2 Tbsp. raisins.  Cook as above.
Pumpkin Spice Beanana Muffins - To basic beanana muffin recipe add 1/2 c. cooked pumpkin, and double the amount of sweet spices.  After batter is smooth, stir in 1/4 c. raisins.  Makes 12 very generous muffins.

Sweet Cheese Mini-“Danish” – Omit last 5 ingredients from biscuit recipe.  Add 1 to 1 ½ tsp. NuStevia, 1 tsp. lemon juice and ½ tsp. cinnamon (optional) to batter.  Stir together 2 oz. softened lowfat cream cheese, a few drops of lemon juice, and NuStevia to taste (optional).  Drop cheese mixture by slightly mounded measuring teaspoon into center of each and lightly press down to form a shallow well before cooking.  Flatten papers slightly to allow them to spread a little more, if desired.
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies – Using the “Danish” recipe, above, omit cream cheese step.  After processing, stir in ¼ c. raisins and ½ to ¾ c. old fashioned oats, toasted in oven or dry skillet until slightly browned & a little crunchy.  Flatten papers so cookies can spread.  Makes 12 large cookies.

Variations I haven’t tried yet, but I think will be good (if you try any of them please share your thoughts):

Christmas Fruitcake Cookies – I’ll have to think about this one.  Should be the same as Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with added chopped dried fruits.  You can get fruits dried without sugar, right?  And dried ginger?  I know they make Splenda sweetened dried cranberries.  I love fruitcake.  I can’t wait to try this.

Please let me know if you try any of these.  I hope you love them.

Gwen
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

oma
New, but learning

Post by oma »

ilove the biscuit i did apple and raising,honey mix it all up bake them in the oven they were good thank alot
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Thanks for forwarding this to everyone, Pat! 

Hi to OMA - Welcome to Let's Do Lunch.  Hope you stay here for a very long time! 

I wanted to mention that you might want to be careful about using honey in the biscuits or muffins.  Honey is still a sugar, so you would be better off using Splenda, Stevia or Truvia to sweeten them, if you feel they need to be sweeter.  That way, you can eat them every day and not be bothered by the honey causing blood sugar spikes and cravings.

I'm glad you like the recipe.  It thrills me when I see people enjoying it.  Imagine how gratified Little Mary must feel ! ! !  *woot*

I hope she knows how much we all appreciate her! 

Loves, Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
oma
New, but learning

Post by oma »

as you all knowi dont post much ,I do read all of the post i can they help me a lot .i do use the recipon the board every one i have made has bend grate i am thinking adout starting a  journal  if i could find the time they have change our segual at work  .
scottishgrlgs
New, but learning

Post by scottishgrlgs »

can you use truvia in your ice tea on a daily basis? i don't drink alot of anything but i do like ice tea and hot tea. i was wondering if lipton diet green tea is good with citrus natural flavors, or just diet snapple? they have truvia at my local grocery store, and i dont  see the other sugar the books says you can use. i am new and i am reading alot of the post on the boards so i have alot of questions.  :D thanks for your help.  gail
Gail
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Hi Gail!  Welcome to Let's Do Lunch!  Truvia is a sweetener containing Stevia and is LDL approved for daily use.  Tea, especially freshly brewed green tea is great, as long as you alternate it with water, because it has a very high caffeine content that could bother some people.  Herbal tea is the absolute best for "flavoring" your water.  :tongue:

It's the bottled beverages and drink mixes that you want to stay away from on a daily basis, even the diet ones.  They are loaded with so many chemicals and questionable ingredients, they just are not good to put into your body. 

Roger Troy says to limit coffee, too, though I'm not sure why, because he advocates use of green tea.  May just be one of his preferences he wrote into the program.

Hope you see this answer, since you posted your question in an old thread about Banzo Biscuits!  LOL

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
ladylinda

Post by ladylinda »

I tried the banana muffins and the pumpkin muffins. they were both very good.
Last edited by ladylinda on June 16th, 2009, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.