The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

I saw the video on a Fox news station and decided to try this.  I love fruit, so it definitely appealed to me.  My ultimate goal would be to lose 20 pounds, but I would be happy with 10 - 15.  After turning 40, I've gained and lost so many times, but never got down where I wanted to be.  It's much, much harder than it used to be.

I have a question about the soy nuts.  Since they are a protein, should I stay away from them in the evening? :D
EnJae
Master Member

Re: Newbie

Post by EnJae »

Welcome!
I am 47. Used to weigh 263, so I have A LOT more to lose than you do. :tongue: BUT with "Let's Do Lunch"tm (LDL) I am doing it so I am happy.

To answer your question in a roundabout way -- Yes. And No.
Yes, stay away from them IF you are eating them just to be snacking. Soy beans are one of the highest fat beans. However, if you NEED a snack and you are longing for peanuts or chips, roasted soy nuts are a much better choice. So eat them then.

Now, about them being a protein, we make a distinction here between light proteins and heavy proteins. Only heavy proteins (like turkey breast, chicken breast and lean beef) are limited to once a day and that is only after you have overcome your cravings.

Light proteins like eggs, and grilled fish can be eaten any time.

And a mixture of corn and beans together makes a perfect protein which can be eaten any time.

Is all that clear as mud?
;D
NJ
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Ha Ha -- I'm older than both of you and I started with 263 pounds to lose!!!

EnJae is right about night time snacking, Yo, AND about eating beans & corn to fill up at supper. 

I like to use dry roasted soynuts like I used to use croutons, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds - as a crunchy salty garnish.  I have to use them sort of sparingly because of my temptation to binge on salty snacks, I don't want to slow down my weight loss.  Popcorn is a better choice for me and WAY less fattening, even with olive oil spray.  I feel like a I get more crunch time in my mouth.

Having said all that, don't forget Roger says to eat all you want, as often as you want, of ALL the acceptable foods - even if you consume 10,000 calories a day - until your blood sugar is stabilized and you no longer have cravings.

Good luck & welcome!

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
amackmann

Post by amackmann »

What about dry roasted Edamame...are these ok to eat anytime?
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

amackmann wrote:What about dry roasted Edamame...are these ok to eat anytime?

no problem...just the way you'd eat soynuts, you can eat edamame..i have an underactive thyroid so i can't eat soy products at all...they made me gain weight while i was strictly on let's do lunch.............
  you DO always want to snack as little as possible eating big enough meals that you don't NEED to snack...but, if you're hungry betw meals, ANY beans are a good choice(i just ran out of dry roasted chick peas....i have to go into queens and buy more) 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
amackmann

Post by amackmann »

I have not seen the dry roasted chickpeas...I bet they are good too.  I will look for them next time I am at Whole Foods!  I am trying really hard not to snack but sometimes I just want to have something little during the day at work.  I am trying to find things that are EASY and good that way I don't eat something non LDL. 
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

amackmann wrote:  I am trying really hard not to snack but sometimes I just want to have something little during the day at work. 

you DON'T have to try to not snack.........just make sure that you're eating BIG meals so that you don't WANT to snack.....if you're hungry betw meals, EAT whatever you want that's allowable.....
  the whole thing is that if you eat in small amounts throughout the day, even if they're allowable foods, your blood sugars won't stabilize the same wonderful way that they do on let's do lunch when you eat big meals UNTIL FULL...i know that someone is doing it right when they post that they're NOT hungry and want to know if they should MAKE themselves eat.....
  i'd love for someone to tell me that they've found roasted chickpeas somewhere........i'm in ny...they're all over the place here and they really help tide me over.....or at work, when i eat raw vegetables for lunch, a few handfuls of those really help... 
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I would keep grapes and popped popcorn corn at work in zip top bags to avoid eating the goodies people are always bringing in. 

The grapes are fine at toom temp, they last a long time, and you can always throw them in the office fridge when you go home at night.  If the popcorn gets a little stale, a minute in the microwave freshens it right up.

Seriously, I buy grapes 15-20 pounds at a time because I have a hard time getting to the store.  Even when they aren't on sale, it's still way less then I used to spend on cakes, cookies, pies, ice cream, desserts when eating out, and candy candy candy.  Same with popcorn - I get it in 50 lb. bags at Sams. 

This is not always for snacking.  I love eating them so much I usually plan to have them with meals.  I just have to be careful that they don't always BECOME my meal.  That's not a healthy balance and I don't lose weight unless I get a balance of foods during the week.

I could go on & on.  Do you think I like popcorn and grapes much?  LOL  *woot*
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
YoYo

Post by YoYo »

Wow.  It's great to hear from all of you.  Thanks for your input.  I must say, iIve been on the diet for a week now, and my cravings have drastically reduced.  It's pretty amazing.  I only hope the scale goes down.  I weigh every morning and have for decades even though everyone says not to.  So far it looks like I'm down 3 pounds. For me that's a good start.
Saved4Life

Post by Saved4Life »

YoYo,

Welcome!  This is certainly a lifechanger when you "switch" to LDL style of eating.  I was truly amazed how my cravings minimized in a big way, and the sense of being full came quicker as time went on.

Eat and enjoy..the LDL Way!

Doreen