popcorn

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
boeske
New, but learning

popcorn

Post by boeske »

Hi ALL!!
I LOVE  reading the message board  and have learned so much  , many thanks to those who have "been there  , done that " and are sharing their wonderful hints!
I stated  in a note that I had Orville R's smart pop popcorn, the kettle corn style and Roger wrote I should not BUT  in the book it states you can have "smart pop Orville R's popcorn" the kettle  corn stated it was smart pop also, should I avoid it?
Is " I can't believe it's not butter spray "  O.K. for veggies??
I have tied a knot in it and am hanging  on , sticking faithfully to the tee to the book BUT  I do not see anything big happening YET! (started first week of January) Clothes are not looser, only thing is my shoes and ring are !!?? I had written that I had only lost 2 pounds in that time (have not weighed these past two week ).
Thanks again!!
boeske
by the way WHEN  is the new edition coming out?I would gladly send you my book BUT  not until I know I can get the new one. The recipe cards are lovely! Nice size  and lamenated , wonderful!!
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: popcorn

Post by patsyfay »

You can have the regular Orville Reddenbacher 94% fat free Smart Pop, just no kettle corn (all that sugar, yuck!) and no regular popcorn (all that fat, yuck!). I've been known to eat a whole bag of OR every night and I still lost weight.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

sval59

Post by sval59 »

Hi Pat....missed you while you were gone.  I too have popcorn almost every night.  My husband keeps asking me when I'm going to get tired of it.....I told him NEVER EVER......Have a great day.

Cheryl
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Thanks, cheryl.  It's great to be back.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

greenheron

Post by greenheron »

patsyfay wrote:You can have the regular Orville Reddenbacher 94% fat free Smart Pop, just no kettle corn (all that sugar, yuck!) and no regular popcorn (all that fat, yuck!). I've been known to eat a whole bag of OR every night and I still lost weight.

Pat

I'm still researching this WOE...you gotta do what works for YOU and congrats to all who've been successful!  And I apologize for my first post being a "correction" but this bugged me:

Every microwave Kettle Corn I've picked up does NOT contain sugar...real sugar would burn something fierce!  It's all sweetened with Sucralose, which is the perfect touch of sweetness.  And yes, you can get Orville Reddenbacher Smart Pop Kettle Corn in regular and mini bags.  If microwave popcorn is allowed, and Splenda is allowed, then microwave kettle corn should as well. 

Or, for that matter, use your regular Smart Pop, pull the bag open fast, dump in a packet of Splenda, shake like heck, and enjoy. 

I've been enjoying what I've read so far...I'll keep researching :)
Saved4Life

Post by Saved4Life »

I'm no PRO at this, and not even a rookie on the Food Police force, but I do know that "Sucralose" is sugar, it's just another name for it....it's processed sugar, and can derail you, as most "processed" foods can.

Just my 2 cents worth  *love*
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

This can be a flexible WOE and should be tailored to each individual's likes and dislikes.  If you can eat the Orville Redenbacher Kettle Corn and still lose weight, then I say, "Enjoy!"  Too much of any artificial sweetener acts just liike sugar in my body, so I stay away from it, but not everyone is like me.  Also, some people want to lose at a faster rate than others (I'm happy with 4 pounds a month.) Depending on what you eat, that can speed up or slow down your loss.  Just keep researching and trying things to find what works for you.  That's the beauty of LDL.

Pat

Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Saved4Life wrote:I'm no PRO at this, and not even a rookie on the Food Police force, but I do know that "Sucralose" is sugar, it's just another name for it....it's processed sugar, and can derail you, as most "processed" foods can.

Just my 2 cents worth  *love*

OOPS...sorry Doreen, but as an only slightly more senior member of the F.P. I gotta overrule you.  EnJae caught this once before..."Sucralose" is the non-caloric sweet ingredient in Splenda, which is good.  "Sucrose" is the one that is a real sugar.

Pretty tricky, huh?

greenheron, good idea about adding Splenda to your own popcorn.  But even good old Orville is processed and still contains fats and chemicals that we don't want in our bodies.  A much better solution is to hot-air to microwave pop your own, lightly spray with with commencial olive oil spray or from an oil-pump sprayer, & sprinkle with finely ground kosher or sea salt.  If you want to add Splenda at this point, dump away! 

I confess, I cheat a little and add a second spray to keep the flavorings from falling off the popcorn.  One time I actually measured the amount of oil I was spraying.  It came out to a little less than 1/4 teaspoon, which is less than O.R. Smart Pop, and WAY less than the 2-4 tablespoons of oil required in oil poppers!

Good to see you here, and keep up the great suggestions!

P.S. But just spray the top layer and as you eat it, the flavored kernels will sift down through the whole batch.  When you put this in a gallon-sized zip bag and eat it later, you would swear it came packaged from the grocery store.

P.P.S.  I'm cheap, too!  Last summer I bought a 50-pound bag of popcorn at Sam's for less than I typically paid for 8 boxes of O.R. Smart Pop.  I'm now on my 2nd 50-pound bag, and working on my 2nd 100 pound loss.!

FINAL P.S., I promise! (for this post, anyway...) Pat is right that artificial sweeteners can sometimes fool some people's bodies into thinking they're getting real sugar and that sets up cravings and weight gain.  Believe it or don't -- and then do what works for you!  :thumbsup:
Last edited by Gwennaford on March 26th, 2009, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

With all due respect, did you read my post? 

I went to the grocery store and checked before I posted.  Every single Microwave Kettle Corn I picked up, including Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop Kettle Corn contains NO SUGAR.

Ingredients
Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Sucralose

Here's Jolly Time Healthy Pop Kettle Corn...94% fat free, just like Redenbacher:

Ingredients
Pop Corn, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Modified Food Starch, Sucralose, Artificial Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Annatto For Coloring.

Nobody's claiming that Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil is the healthiest thing to eat, but that's not what we're debating.  Where's the sugar?

I'm sure the members here are smart enough to know they can't eat the Kettle Corn at the county fair.  You watch them pouring in the sugar.

The Pop Secret 94% Fat Free Kettle Corn...also sweetened with Sucralose.  The ONE exception I found (perusing Amazon) was Jolly Time's regular Kettle Mania.  It lists sugar in the ingredients.  But LDL folks stay away from the higher fat ones, right?

If this is a "Your Mileage May Vary" issue then the lower fat kettle corn for the microwave should be just as acceptable as regular.

Again, thanks for the posts and the wisdom.  I'll keep reading!
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Good morning, Roger Troy,

Thanks for clarifying.  However, you contradict yourself in your own post.

Sucralose is, as you say, derived from sugar, chemically altered with chlorine atoms. Some argue that all artificial sweeteners are unsafe.  Others consider them a Godsend.  In it's pure form, Sucralose is 600 times sweeter than sugar, and has no calories or carbohydrates.  When it's packaged for general use by the consumer, it must be "cut" with fillers like maltodextrine and dextrose in small amounts so you don't have to measure by the 10th of a drop.  If used in really large quantities, certainly the fillers might cause sugar cravings.  And there are people who experience cravings from anything that's sweet and must avoid even diet drinks.

When companies produce their products using Sucralose, like Coke Zero, fat free yogurt, or microwave kettle corn, the fillers are not used...they put in Sucralose in its pure form. 

When you say "It is not like Stevia or even Splenda" you argue against your own point.  Sucralose in the ingredients of a product will, on its own, have fewer "carby" effects than putting a few packets of Splenda in your steel cut oats or iced tea.  You can, by the way, get "almost pure" Sucralose in liquid form from various sources in the internet, including Ebay...pricey, but truly zero carbs, while a packet of Splenda should be counted as one carb, and a cup of granulated Splenda has 24 carbs. 

I understand that some people just want to stay away from the stuff.  YMMV, and all that.  But you cannot claim that "Sucralose is bad but Splenda is OK."  It doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Roger Troy Wilson wrote:Hi greenheron. I should have explained in my post...sucralose is a white powder that is derived from sucrose, and sucrose comes from sugar cane, so even though it is lower in calories than refined sugar it is still derived from sugar cane...which is absolutely a no-no.

It is not like Stevia, or even Splenda, and I believe it should not be eaten because I'm afraid it might spike your blood sugar and make you hungry again, as well as make you hungry for all the wrong foods...including foods made with refined sugar in them.

Sorry I didn't explain my reasoning in my post!

God bless and enjoy!

Roger Troy
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

HA !  A debate!  I love this!  I want to add 2 things to either add fuel to the fire, or dampen it, depending on your POV:

1) I'm a Stevia fan and MY package says it's cut with maltodextrine to make it possible to measure the small amounts needed to sweeten regular portions.

2) By body LOVES eating unprocessed foods.  I'm trying really hard to eliminate packaged & canned foods in favor of fresh or frozen, whole foods. I'm trying to consume them as close to the form God made them as possible for me.  If I HAVE to buy packaged, I buy the one with the least chemical additives possible. 

My skin looks better, my periods are regular again, I'm finally sleeping through the night, my pain and inflammation have dropped dramatically, my moods are stable, and my body functions pleasantly in every respect.  You can fill in the blanks.  AND I've lost almost 100 pounds following Let's Do Lunch.  I stopped trying to understand the science behind it and started just enjoying this new life that the Lord, in His mercy, has given me...no strings attached.  How could I possibly question the wisdom of that?? ??

Loves to all!
Gwennaford Grape
ImageImage
Saved4Life

Post by Saved4Life »

Gwennaford wrote:HA !  A debate!  I love this!  I want to add 2 things to either add fuel to the fire, or dampen it, depending on your POV:

1) I'm a Stevia fan and MY package says it's cut with maltodextrine to make it possible to measure the small amounts needed to sweeten regular portions.

2) By body LOVES eating unprocessed foods.  I'm trying really hard to eliminate packaged & canned foods in favor of fresh or frozen, whole foods. I'm trying to consume them as close to the form God made them as possible for me.  If I HAVE to buy packaged, I buy the one with the least chemical additives possible. 

My skin looks better, my periods are regular again, I'm finally sleeping through the night, my pain and inflammation have dropped dramatically, my moods are stable, and my body functions pleasantly in every respect.  You can fill in the blanks.  AND I've lost almost 100 pounds following Let's Do Lunch.  I stopped trying to understand the science behind it and started just enjoying this new life that the Lord, in His mercy, has given me...no strings attached.  How could I possibly question the wisdom of that?? ??

Loves to all!
Gwennaford Grape

AMEN, SISTER  *love*
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I, too, love a good debate!  A board without a little debate is boring. 

When I posted my response this morning, your paragraph about the lawsuit wasn't there, (you were editing as I typed) so I didn't see it to address earlier.

Will you please post a link about the lawsuit?  The only one I see referenced in my Google searches is the old one (although it's just getting heard this year) brought by the sugar industry against McNeil and Johnson & Johnson, the original manufacturer of Sucralose and maker of Splenda.  I'd like to see a valid accusation that the ingredient in Splenda isn't really Sucralose.  That seems farfetched, although not impossible, of course. And, quite frankly, the last time I was doing much "diet food" research and debate, there was only ONE manufacturer of Sucralose...McNeil..and they kept a VERY tight hold on it.  I see now there are many companies turning out Sucralose, especially in China and India. 

The Sugar lawsuit disputes the advertising slogan of Splenda..."Tastes like sugar because it's MADE from sugar."  The sugar industry says that Sucralose is so altered chemically that it can no longer claim a link to sugar and misleads people that it's as safe as sugar.  You must be referring to a different lawsuit altogether. 

I can see how a misreading might lead one to think that Splenda contains a dramatically altered artificial sweetener, but that isn't the same as "doesn't really contain Sucralose."    It reminds of of a co-worker who said she read that Aspartame collects in the thighs and buttocks of women, and that's why her husband's ex had such a large behind..too much Diet Pepsi.  She didn't "get it"...Aspartame collecting in the fat of thighs and buttocks doesn't add to the fat, but the Doritoes you eat with the Diet Pepsi do. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the details of the lawsuit you mention. 

And please take another look at your "as I understand it" statement.  It doesn't wash.  Sucralose is SIX HUNDRED times sweeter than sugar.  It contains NO calories.  Splenda, adding the fillers of maltodextrine and dextrose MUST contain some, although negligible according to USDA standards.  In fact, the pourable, cup for cup version of Splenda has 96 calories per cup...four calories per gram of carbohydrates.  If you get your hands on some pure Sucralose, even cut with water as I use it, it's absolutely Zero calories, like the syrups sweetened with it...DaVinci etc.

But, as you've said, you can have as many carbs/calories as you need on LDL as long as you cut out the refined carbs/sugar/grains and the fat....is that right? 

Thanks for the debate :) 

Still learning, and wondering if I really want to give up my avocado/bacon/blue cheese dressing omelette that helped me drop my total cholesterol by 50 points. ;)

Roger Troy Wilson wrote:
I should also explain here the difference between sucralose and Splenda, which most people say IS sucralose. Actually, Splenda is not the same as sucralose, as it contains chemical compounds that are far different than sucralose. In fact, there is a huge lawsuit in progress over this very subject...Splenda's use of the word sucralose in describing their product (other manufacturers of sucralose have placed this lawsuit).

Now, I am not here to say that chemical compounds are as good as Stevia. It's just that I believe a LITTLE Splenda does not cause hunger cravings, nor does it cause cravings for all the wrong foods...whereas I am afraid of using sucralose because it is a direct derivative of sugar cane. Remember Little Mary's saying, "If in doubt, leave it out!"

Also, as I understand it, Splenda is no-calorie, whereas sucralose is lower-calorie.

Sorry I didn't explain my reasoning in my post!

God bless and enjoy!

Roger Troy
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

OH NO!  Now you've opened another can of worms.  Just wondering if you came here from LCF?  I was looking at all their wonderful B & A pics.

greenheron wrote:Still learning, and wondering if I really want to give up my avocado/bacon/blue cheese dressing omelette that helped me drop my total cholesterol by 50 points. ;)

Let's Do Lunch, like many, many weight loss programs before it, is a revolutionary concept.  The major difference is, many of them eliminate entire food groups and/or drastically reduce portion sizes.  We eat all we want from EVERY FOOD GROUP, including fruit, vegetables, starchy carbs, fats, lean proteins.  Dairy is limited, but not forbidden.  Let's Do Lunch does eliminate a very small number of food ITEMS in somes food groups, that the author has found made him gain weight.  Bottom line for me is, I eat until I'm stuffed every day, I'm healthier OVERALL and the weight is falling off.  More good news -- It doesn't cost a huge membership fee to "Let's Do Lunch".  What could possibly be bad about that? 

The science writer from FIRST magazine is preparing an article about Let's Do Lunch.  I'll be interested to see what she has to say about it. 

In the meantime, please spend some time reading the Medical Success Stories about the drastic drops people have experienced in their cholesterol, blood sugar, inflammation, & use of pain medication since starting Let's Do Lunch.  Then decide for yourself how closely, if at all, you want to follow it as is, or make your own modifications if you find that you cannot follow every guideline. 
Last edited by Gwennaford on March 27th, 2009, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi all!
        I too went through a time when I wanted sweet popcorn so I put sugar free jello of my choice of flavours and there you go. Something sweet with something salty. I guess it was some time ago that I posted this but what its worth here it is.  Judie