bean soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
snowbirdie
Master Member

bean soup

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi all,
    I was reading some historical novels and one of them was a little house on the prairie. For lunch they would have steaming bowls of broth-soup from the bean soup simmering on the stove. Then for dinner they would have the whole soup beans and all. I guess they knew the goodness of beans. They ate this everyday in winter. Supplementing with whatever else they had set aside. They always had whole wheat grain bread also.And if they were lucky tea or coffee. They ate meat too. Whatever wild game papa could get. so I guess they really did know what they were doing. Just something to think about.
                                                  Judie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Re: bean soup

Post by Gwennaford »

Judie, it's amazing that you mentioned this at exactly this time.  Yesterday I cooked garbanzos for hummus and saved the excess "broth" that I drained from them because I noticed that it got thick and gelatinized while cooling on the counter.  It tastes great - I could easily see drinking this as a hearty broth.  It will be a wonderful vegetarian broth to thin down supper soups.  I usually don't use a lot of the bean cooking liquid, even when I cook them from scratch, because it can taste metallic and sulphurous.  But the garbanzo cooking liquid tastes good.  Where does all that thickness come from?  Is there pectin in the skins, like in fruit?

Speaking about bean liquid, I just figured out something that the rest of you bean cooks already know, but I'll share anyway just in case ...  When I cooked the Tex-Mex Yellow Split Pea Soup today, it got really thick as it cooled - like stiff mashed potatoes.  I started to thin it with a little diluted broth, but then I thought -- why take up all that space in the freezer with water?  Wouldn't it save space to freeze the concentrate, then dilute it after it's thawed ? ? ? 

OFF TOPIC   -- I need to get some more of those historical Christian stories.  Do you subscribe to them?  We should start a book swap.  Bulk postage rates are not that high, and might save some $$ over the subscription prices.  What would you think about that?
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Hi Gwennie,
      Have you read Beverly Lewis books? How about Shelley Gray? I am reading hers now. The first is hidden and theext is wanted. So good. In the first a girl leaves home running from abusive boyfriend to hide among the Amish. She  first went to Florida........ okay you gotta read it. Then therte is the Red River Valley series about very early North Dakota. Have you read The Boy in The Stripped Pajamas? How about The devils arithmetic? Boy they are so so good. Now your turn tell me some good ones.
                                Judie
snowbirdie
Master Member

Post by snowbirdie »

Good idea with the book swap. Oh have you read any B.C. Beatin? Her Agatha Raisin mysterys or Hamish Mc'Beth mysterys. These books are all clean nothing dirty     
                            Judie
dakotagirl

Post by dakotagirl »

OFF TOPIC  -- I need to get some more of those historical Christian stories.  Do you subscribe to them?  We should start a book swap.  Bulk postage rates are not that high, and might save some $$ over the subscription prices.  What would you think about that?

You can send books via Media Mail for around $2 for a package around 1#.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Roger Troy Wilson wrote:Just a quick comment to all you newbies. As an every day food, we don't eat anything made from flour of any kind. Or motto is, Unprocessed means losing weight...Processed means gaining weight.

LOL - GOOD EYE, RT ! ! !  It took me a while to figure out what you referred to !?!?  It was the whole grain wheat bread the pioneers ate, right?  My eyes just automatically skipped over the bread part.  After a year on LDL, my brain doesn't even process anything with bread in it anymore!

I think Judie's point was that our ancestors ate 100% whole grain, which is the healthiest way to eat grain, because it makes our bodies do the work of processing it, instead of eating it after machines have done the processing for us.  Once in a while we are allowed to have 100% whole grain steel-cut or rolled oats alone, as a hot cereal, cooked with water; 100% whole grain shredded wheat, cold, served with as little nonfat milk as possible; and 100% whole grain light rye crispbreads.  Again, we should only eat these 100% whole grain foods once in a while.

Right, O Fearless Leader ?   :)
Last edited by Gwennaford on March 3rd, 2009, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

It sounds like a lot of us are interested, Mary.  How do you suggest we get this book swap/lending library started?
ImageImage
jlacotta
New, but learning

Post by jlacotta »

I am new to LDL and noticed the posts here in the soup recipes.  I have a question regarding wraps for lunch.  What is the best wrap to buy and eat.  I was using 'Flatout' flatbread (100 cal, 8 net carbs, 1g sugar, 8g fiber)  100% Stone ground whole wheat, multi-grain w/flax.

I see where whole wheat is not accepted on LDL.  Unfortunately I have ordered the book, which is back-ordered on Amazon and none of our big name Bookstores have it in stock either.

Can someone give me a good wrap product to use?
What We do does not Define Us. What Defines Us is how Well We Rise after Falling!
Bonnie CHA!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

I am only about 2 weeks old here... still new too, but I believe Real Foods Original Flavor Corn Thins are the only LDL approved bread substitute.

I have discover wrapping my favorite sandwich fillers in a lettuce leaf satisfies all my needs for a "hand held" sandwich, as well as the crunch of the lettuce!

Pretty soon you won't miss your bread products at all!

Good luck, and welcome!
On the journey....

jlacotta
New, but learning

Post by jlacotta »

Thanks Bonnie, some of the things on the LDL remind me of some of the things from Atkins diet, except not so much meat.  I really love veggies and fruits, so that is why this LDL program sounds so better for me!!

I'll switch to lettuce today!!
What We do does not Define Us. What Defines Us is how Well We Rise after Falling!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

jlacotta wrote:I am new to LDL and noticed the posts here in the soup recipes.  I have a question regarding wraps for lunch.  What is the best wrap to buy and eat.  I was using 'Flatout' flatbread (100 cal, 8 net carbs, 1g sugar, 8g fiber)  100% Stone ground whole wheat, multi-grain w/flax.

I see where whole wheat is not accepted on LDL.  Unfortunately I have ordered the book, which is back-ordered on Amazon and none of our big name Bookstores have it in stock either.

Can someone give me a good wrap product to use?

Hi JL - Welcome to Let's Do Lunch!  I don't know if you would want to cancel your existing book order, but you should know that you can order the book from this website now and receive it in just a few days.  You may pay a little more, but it comes with a FREE $15 set of more than 130 laminated recipe cards.  And Roger will autograph the book for you upon request.

To address your question, I don't believe there is an acceptable wrap, as processed grain products are discouraged on LDL.

Yesterday I saw a segment on TV by the author of "Eat This, Not That" who stated a typical wrap has more calories than two slices of bread and can have as much as five times the amount of procesed meat and cheese filling as a typical restaurant sandwich.

I have posted this to others who are waiting for their books to arrive -- hope it helps!...

The portions depicted by the magazine staff are very small, and we really aren't supposed to be eating bread products at all.  We satisfy those cravings with peas, beans, corn, popcorn, and Best Foods Original (flavor) Corn Thins.  Here's a picture of what they look like & a place to buy them if you can't find them in the grocery or health food store:   http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http://letsdolunch.com/boards2/viewtopic.php?p=42727#p42727

We are supposed to eat until FULL at all three meals to enable us to avoid wanting to snack.  But don't be confused.  That is only for people well established on Let's Do Lunch who have their blood sugar stabilized & all cravings under control.

When you're first starting out, you are supposed to eat until full of ALL the Let's Do Lunch foods to satisfy and any and all cravings - as much as you want, as often as you want.  Unbelieveable, no?  But it's true.

This link will help you get started deciding what and when to eat.  Please review the recipe boards, too to help you formulate a shopping list to customize a menu that you will love!

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/http: ... 9753#p9753
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 22nd, 2009, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Bonnie CHA!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

Yes, I am an old Atkins-er too... and I missed my fruits and veggies.

I must confess I haven't ordered the Corn Thins yet. I understand they are pressed popcorn, sort of like the rice cakes (I think)...  I think I can find them in Louisville, and will pick some up next week.

But, starting out I think it's best to keep it as clean as possible!  I want to get the biggest bang for my BEAN!   :laughing:
On the journey....

jlacotta
New, but learning

Post by jlacotta »

THANKS SO MUCH Gwen for the info you posted to my reply.  This will help me until I receive my Book!  The only reason I mentioned and ate a wrap (veggie) was that it was pictured in the 'First' article  under A Sample Day to Get You Started, for lunch.

Evidently the article didn't mention that maybe this was not the first steps to the LDL program.
Bonnie CHA!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

Good eye!

I had to go back to my magazine to look... sure 'nuf, there is a low carb wrap!  :shock:
On the journey....

Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Ha ha  - I modified my answer and thought I could slip it in, then rolled away from my computer before clicking "post".  Please see below re ordering the book.
ImageImage