ldl approved or not- Caldo

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Quita
New, but learning

ldl approved or not- Caldo

Post by Quita »

I made this soup for dinner tonight. if not good can you fix it for me . it is one of my faves.

caldo- no meat
2 cans of  beef broth
a can of hominy drained and rinsed
a can of diced tomatoes
6 ears of small corn on cob cut in half
half a head of cabbage
one onion
bay leaf
tsp of garlic, cumin, Mexican oregano
3 beef cubes

all mixed in a pot and cook slowly for hour

if this is ldl approved I will be eating quite often.we love to eat real Mexican food and as of right now this is possible the only thing I know that may be ldl approved. by the way is there any recipes for enchiladas or carne asada.when I get the chance I need to see if my pozole recipe  can be alter to ldl. thank you. Quita
LovinLDL

Re: ldl approved or not- Caldo

Post by LovinLDL »

Quita,

Ideally the beef cubes would be lean beef.  Also, can you list the ingredients of Caldo?  Wikipedia says it's a broth....I'm thinking it's ok if it doesn't have sugar or other non-LDL ingredients.

The recipe sounds great!...so glad someone is looking to LDLify more Mexican food!  With lean meat, sugarless tomato products, beans, jalapenos, FF cheese, and most spices....surely there are a few.

Blessings,
Julie
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

this is fine, quita...........i've never eaten hominy.......if i ever decide to be adventurous, i'll try it with this recipe.....i love mexican food....keep the recipes coming.........
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Quita
New, but learning

Post by Quita »

Caldo is the name of this soup. It's a Mexican dish that means cabbage soup and is primarily a cabbage soup with big chunks of beef short ribs. My MIL has made it for years but I made it today with no meat and used beef cubes instead. My husband and I loved it. This is why I specified caldo- no meat. My fault I should have labeled it as a title. I realized after I had sent it I made it look like an ingredient (sorry). Thanks so much for the feedback. My husband is Hispanic and loves Mexican food and I'm trying to see what else I can convert for him to enjoy. As I experiment I will let you all know so you can enjoy also. Try it and I hope you enjoy it.
Thanks Quita
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I think Quita means beef bouillon cubes, not beef meat cubes.  Am I right?

I didn't think we were supposed to have hominy ! ? ! ?  I love the stuff and will be eating it all the time, if possible.  I thought that because it was processed with lye to get the husks off that meant we couldn't have it.  If it turns out that we CAN eat hominy, Quita, your Caldo recipe is perfectly LDL.  It almost sounds like Menudo.

You definitely want to post it on the soup recipe board.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Quita
New, but learning

Post by Quita »

yes, it is the bouillon cubes. I don't know if hominy is OK or not. you don't have to have it in it but I love hominy so I added it. I am  only 9 days into LDL and still learning.
menudo is tripe and hominy & chili powder mix  so it is a bit different.
in HIM, Quita
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Ok, if you reference the discussion on this recipe http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... pic=4257.0
It would seem that hominy is ok.....Roger Troy AND our food police (at least passively) approved hominy.

Quita, this recipe looks good to go (hmm, where DID Mary put the official seal?) :thumbsup:-that'll work....

What is "tripe"?

Blessings and Thanks,
Julie
Quita
New, but learning

Post by Quita »

Julie, send me an email I will let you know what tripe is. It is kinda nasty.
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Isn't tripe just sheep stomach?
Quita
New, but learning

Post by Quita »

it is actually cow.yuck.yuck
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

marysimmons wrote: I thought it was the most dreadful thing imaginable

Probably shouldn't mention "calf fries"  :blush:, but I had the exact same thought about them as a young Texan :shock:

Quita, I am making the Caldo this weekend :thumbsup:
Quita
New, but learning

Post by Quita »

I posted the recipe in the soup section.hope you enjoy it.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I guess I didn't inherit the queasy gene.  I had forgotten tripe is one of the key ingredients in menudo, which I enjoy very much.  The tripe is cut into 1/2-inch pieces and stewed in the spicy stew until it is tender.  It doesn't have any particular flavor of its own, so it comes across as just meat.  I think it looks kinda pretty and really doesn't smell like anything either.  I also liked "fries" of various species out west.  When I worked at the Norbest turkey processing plant in Utah, the people working the eviceration line used to pay me to save the turkey fries when we got the big toms in.  Woo - some of those boys were over 50 pounds, dressed.  The toms, not the fries.  LOL

ANY-way... I'm going to enjoy the caldo, Quita.  Please share some more of the traditional recipes enjoyed by your husband & his family.

Gwen
ImageImage
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Quita, did you ever convert your pozole recipe?  I haven't checked, but if you haven't posted it, I hope you do.
ImageImage