Any Advice On How To Quit Smoking

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Debbers1756
New, but learning

Any Advice On How To Quit Smoking

Post by Debbers1756 »

I recently started LDL (today is my third day) and I don't have any food cravings.  I made a fruit smoothie last night to trick my brain into thinking I was have ice cream, but I would really like any advice to help me quit this God AWFUL cigarette addiction.  My hope and prayers are that once I really gain the energy to do all the things that I have been putting off for so long, due to medical and food induced problems, I'll be too busy to smoke.  This is such a HORRIBLE addiction.  The sad thing is I had quit once  :blush:..... then I found out I had cervical cancer.  It was my sheer faith in the Lord that pulled me through chemo and radiation and as soon as I was faced with going back to work, I started smoking again.  Please pray for me to allow the Lord to fill me with Hope for kicking this addiction once and for all.  I pray every day.  I think I just have to rid myself of my fears and just let the Lord take over.  He has NEVER let me down before and has seen me through so much adversity.  With the Lord's help, we were able to get my husband into detox for alcohol addiction (a direct result of my cancer diagnosis), I know He can help me through this.  Any help or just prayers would be greatly appreciated.  My love to you all
nati23
New, but learning

Re: Any Advice On How To Quit Smoking

Post by nati23 »

Hi Debbers, after 17 years i quit smoking a year ago. The first thing is to have the desire to quit and you already have it.
God put in my path a book that change my life The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr as soon as i finished reading the book i quit smoking without feeling anxious or deprived. I encourage everyone that wants to quit smoking to read this book, it changed my life. My heart goes out to you. God bless you
Debbers1756
New, but learning

Post by Debbers1756 »

Thanks Nati.  When I get home from work tonight I'm going to go on Amazon.com and order the book.  Pray that it will help me.  I deserately have the desire to quit smoking - it's dirty, nasty, and makes everything stink!  Thank God for sending you to me with this help.
frandag

Post by frandag »

Debbers-I know how you feel. I quit (for the umpteenth time) about 6 months & 20 pounds ago, which is what brought me here. I used Chantix & swear by it! Of course I sure was ready & it sounds like you are! Best of luck.

Fran
Debbers1756
New, but learning

Post by Debbers1756 »

Thanks for the advice Fran, but I tried this once and it didn't work for me and I really can not afford the cost (my insurance won't cover it - ughhhhh).  I want to try something that doesn't involve drugs.  Thanks for your help, though.  Any and all is appreciated.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Debbers, you have really been through it!  So sorry for what you suffered, but happy you are recovering, surviving & thriving!  Getting your food addiction under control will be very important to have mastered before you take the next big step to stop smoking, but it can be done & YOU CAN DO IT!

I tried almost as many ways to stop smoking as I tried diets.  All were successful in the short term, but didn't stand up to time, stress & pain.  This is what finally worked:

[glow=red,2,300]I finally realized and accepted I CANNOT DO IT ALL and I CANNOT DO IT ALONE [/glow]

I got help, and I needed a LOT of help: 

Education -- 3-day American Cancer Society stop smoking training class where I learned the science of addiction & how to individually address the MANY phases of grieving and suffering that go along with the physical and emotional withdrawal from smoking.  THEN they taught how to go about breaking the habits once the addiction was broken.

Spiritual Counseling -- Regular sessions with my pastor to learn who I am as a person, and how to Biblically manage personal suffering.

Emotional Counseling -- Regular sessions with my LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker), the "talking" branch of mental health care.  I didn't need drugs or rewiring, so I didn't need a psychiatrist or psychologist.  I just needed help learning reframing to change how I looked at things & reacted to them, time management, stress mgt., etc.

Weight loss & Exercise Program -- To start feeling better about myself & create more incentive to go the extra mile to get healthy.

Medical Intervention -- I got a physical before starting any of the above, but ONLY progressed to this final step after getting a good start on the above four areas.  It took me six months before I was ready - some may take more or less time.  The doctor started me trying different smoking cessation drugs.  The second one, the patch worked for me.

All blessings to you Debbers, and KEEP ON KEEPING ON!  We are all pulling for you!

Gwen
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
Debbers1756
New, but learning

Post by Debbers1756 »

Thank you Gwenna.  I have been reading about your struggles on different message boards and with all you are dealing with I am very thankful and appreciative that you took the time to respond to me.  Maybe I need to go back to reading the Daily Inspirations Books that I have.  I have amassed a few in dealing with my healing from my husband's alcoholism.  Incidently, my husband has been sober since January 5th of this year.  It was a long road and once he entered treatment, I realized that I needed just as much help as he did to let go of the past and learn to trust again.  With the help I received I was able to help my oldest son who lives in Maryland and I do not see as often as I would like because of his job.  I know through God's Love I will be able to get through this.  Thank you for your help.  It is greatly appreciated.
Mrs. Fussmucker

Post by Mrs. Fussmucker »

My husband and I quit 4 years ago in June.  I went to a website called WhyQuit, can't remember the exact website address.  They have a lot of horror stories that didn't help me but they also have a section by Joel Spitzer (I'm pretty sure that's his name).  He has done smoking cessation classes for many years and you can download all of his short essays on quitting.  It helped us to know exactly when and why a person who quits gets angry and the fact that the hardest part of stopping smoking for most people is knowing that it's forever-they'll never have another cigarette.  It tells how to get past that and know that one day you won't care about not ever having another cigarette.  Good luck!