PLEASE HELP! I need dinner ideas! My husband wants to quit!

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
electricj1316
Master Member

PLEASE HELP! I need dinner ideas! My husband wants to quit!

Post by electricj1316 »

I am stuck! I have been trying to be good for 3 days now but my book hasn't come yet. We have been having veggie soup and salad and fruit for dinner and my husband wants to give up because he doesn't want the same thing again tonight! I don't know what I can make for dinner because I am used to having meat with dinner. PLEASE HELP ME!! ASAP!! HE IS HUNGRY AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN FIX FOR HIM!!

THANKS,
TINA
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Bonnie CHA!

Re: PLEASE HELP! I need dinner ideas! My husband wants to quit!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

Hi Tina,

Don't give up!  Were you not able to find some recipes here on this board to satisfy your hubby?  Is he on the diet with you?  What are you having for lunch?

My husband isn't doing the diet with me, so tonight we grilled steak.  He had a steak, I had grilled green beans with mushrooms and onions, corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes.  I didn't miss eating steak, and we had a nice meal together.

I hope you find something that works for you... this way of eating isn't supposed to be hard to do, or hard to adapt too.

I know someone with more experience than me will answer your plea soon.

Good Luck

Bonnie
On the journey....

mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

check out the entree section of this board, there are good ideas for things like vegetable ratatoulle, done with grilled vegetables.  you might try a vegetarian chili, I make one using all different coloured peppers, celery, tomatoes, and tomato sauce and paste then black, pinto, kidney and white kidney beans with all the usual spices, just like you would make regular chili.  anyway, I'll be praying for you.
mom
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Bonnie,

Yes, he is on the diet with me and so is my mom who lives with us (my dad is just kind of forced to go along with us hehe). I have looked at some of the recipes and since I am so new I don't have many of the ingredients for most of the recipes yet. He just ate some more soup tonight and I promised I would find some recipes tonight to do different things the rest of the week. He is having a harder time than I am. I can't wait for the book to get here so that we can read it together and he can understand better why we are making these food choices! He is great and I don't want him to give up because of me making boring dinners! He is a meat, bread, and potato guy so dinner without all of that is hard for him to grasp, he feels like he is snacking instead of eating a meal. Thank you for your help and I told him what you ate tonight and he said he would love to have that tomorrow night so I guess we will be having that tomorrow.

God bless,
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Thanks Mom! (that sounds funny  :laughing:)
I haven't checked that out so I will go do that!! And thanks for the prayers I never take those lightly!

God bless,
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

electric, you and your hubby are still in the beginning phase of Let's Do Lunch.  Right now you are simply working on getting rid of your cravings.  That means you can eat all of the allowable foods whenever you are hungry.  Do you have eggs in the house?  Make omlets.  Or fried eggs over fat free refried beans is also a good filling choice.  Chop up some onions and sautee' with mushrooms if you like.  Roast some veggies in the oven or have some tuna fish.  Hang in there hon!  Your book will be there soon.  :)  We are all here to support you. 

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by electricj1316 »

LP,

Does that mean that it is ok to have protein at dinner time in the beginning? I don't know if I misunderstood you. I am not supposed to have protein any time except at lunch right? I don't know if I have that right or not, can you set me straight?

Thanks,
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Tina.

I'm new, too, but from what I've read, in the beginning it's most important to NOT BE HUNGRY while you are re-tuning your body. As you get into it, you'll easily back off on wanting a heavier meal at nite.

That said, choose lighter proteins over heavier ones in the evening if you can. Eggs are probably easiest to digest, then fish, chicken, red meat, in that order. Just choose foods on the LDL good list. Try eggs or fish to satisfy that evening need for a "real meal."

One of the things that I always hated about diets was the restriction. Nope, can't have that, nor that. Hmmmm, that's a no-no too. Stay on the schedule. Grrrr.  :bomb: And there goes the diet!

This lifestyle is intended to give you LOTS of choices. It looks like for every restriction, there's a delicious alternative. Don't make yourself crazy by trying to get it 1001% right the first week. It's the journey of a lifetime, and a learning process. Cook things you enjoy, do your best to make smart substitutions, and get feedback from the local food police (they're a great bunch!) on how to do it better -- or to give you a star for the day!

As you go on, you'll have the opportunity and knowledge (not to mention the money!) to stock up on LDL foods, seasonings, and all the goodies that will give you a flavorful variety and encourage you to enjoy success. Please don't make yourself (or anyone else at your house) crazy frustrated! Just plan on making the best choices you can with what you have on hand, and plan to make better and better ones as each day goes by.

For instance, I don't have fat free or low fat mayo right now, and don't have the chance to go to the city to get any until after Memorial Day. But some of the salads I've seen on the recipe boards look so yummy! Today I made a big Waldorf Chicken salad, but decreased the amount of the mayo to about 1/3 of what the recipe said, and thinned it with water and lemon juice until it left just a hint of mayo flavor, but not too much of the bad stuff. It was fantastic! I had it for lunch until I didn't want any more. With all the good stuff in it, I wouldn't hesitate to serve it for supper right now while I'm starting and re-educating my body.

Okay, my book should have arrived today, or might be tomorrow, so when I get home and read it I might find I'm all wrong. But it makes sense to me to kinda ease into it. Less frustration. Less inclination to throw up may hands and say Phooey! After all, this is a lifetime deal -- make it do-able.

Enjoy your evening -- and best of luck! There are so many people here to cheer you on and answer questions -- I'm absolutely delighted!

Terri
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

tprouty wrote:For instance, I don't have fat free or low fat mayo right now..................but decreased the amount of the mayo to about 1/3 of what the recipe said, and thinned it with water and lemon juice until it left just a hint of mayo flavor, but not too much of the bad stuff. It was fantastic!

is this true confession time, or what?.......3 years ago, when i first went on let's do lunch, everyone said, including roger,that low fat mayonnaise was the only one to use.......everyone felt this way regardless of the fact that the low fat mayonnaise has water as one of it's ingredients......when i would make tuna salad, i would have to use at LEAST twice as much mayonaise for it to taste good.....when i was strictly doing let's do lunch, i rarely used mayonnaise, but when i did, i used regular helman's and tried to use as little as possible that tasted good..anyway, with tuna salad, i use a LOT of lemon juice, which DOES dilute it now that you mention it..............
EVERYONE has to decide what they like, what exceptions they want to make to make it work.....roger liked blue cheese crumbles and preferred to add wine to his even though it did slow down his weight loss........they always have to be additions that can be controlled...things that don't make you spin out of control.......       
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

electric;

If he wants meat give him meat! The whole idea at your stage of the program is to NOT be hungry. and to NOT give in to old foods. Until the hunger and cravings calm down ya'll are supposed to be eating any LDL-approved food anytime you get hungry. That includes chicken breasts, fish, lean beef.
Please do not sabotage his willingness to do LDL by making him feel deprived right now. That applies to every newbie.
If you want bread, potatoes and rice; eat beans and corn.
If you want sugary foods; eat fruit.
If you want fried chicken or a big ol' hamburger, or a fatty roast; eat lean meat.

Soon you'll find that you are satisfying your every craving with healthy foods and the cravings are going away.

Once you stop NEEDING to eat everything bad you used to eat, you'll find you aren't as hungry as before.
That's when you begin doing the regular part of this way of eating. Please don't limit your healthy food choices right now.
NJ
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Thanks everyone SO MUCH!! We had a great night and no one gave in!!! YYYEEEAAAAA!!!  :D
All of your suggestions and advice have helped us so much. I have found so many good recipes to start with.
We started on Sat. and my honey weighed last night and has already lost 5lbs!!!! It gave him a new outlook! I on the other hand weighed this morning and I have gained 2lbs!!! AAAARRRRRGGGGG!!! *grrr*
I wish my book would hurry up and get here!! I am getting so impatient!!

Thanks again everyone!!!
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Bonnie CHA!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

Good morning Tina!

I know the need, or the urge, to weigh - weigh - weigh!  But now it's time to put the scale away!  You could set a date in the near future to step back on (like once a month, or once every other week), but our body weights
fluctuate so much it is discouraging more times than not.

I recorded my weight the day I began my journey, and I don't plan to weigh again for a month.  The true signs of how well I'm doing will be in how I feel and how my clothes fit.  As an example, I had a favorite summer dress that was just too tight to be comfortable a few weeks ago... I wore it yesterday!  :D

I feel lighter.  I feel less burdened, bloated, and fuzzy brained!  I sleep soundly and wake refreshed! I haven't taken an antacid for 10 days, and I haven't used any over the counter allergy medicine either.

I hope this helps encourage you...

God bless your day!

Bonnie
On the journey....

electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Thanks Bonnie!!

I just read a few minutes ago a post that Roger gave someone saying the same thing about the scale. I will put it in the cabinet and won't pull it out until a month from now. That is actually pretty exciting! I can't wait to see how much I have went down in a month. You said something about allergy medicine and I'm glad you did. I have severe allergies that I have to take a prescription for once a day. (I'm supposed to have 2 shots a week but i don't because they are too expensive) Even with my medicine I ALWAYS have an allergy attack every morning and I wake up with horrible dry eyes that I have to use drops for. I just started Sat. but when I woke up yesterday, I realized that I wasn't having an allergy attack and that I didn't need my drops. I thought it was just a fluke but when I woke up this morning I am happy to say that I feel great again, no attack and no drops. I thought I was just being silly, how could this happen after just four days, so I just pushed it to the back of my mind until I read what you just said. Is it really possible that this way of eating can help my allergies and dry eye!! This is amazing!!

Thanks,
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Bonnie CHA!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

I can only think it has to do with ridding my body of all the highly processed foods, and very possibly I had devloped an allergy to something in what I was eating --- WHICH WAS ANYTHING I COULD CRAM IN MY MOUTH!  :shock:

I have always been a healthy person(even though I was 20 - 30 lbs overweight) until a couple of years ago(also the time I reached my highest weight), then I began with these allergic seasons:  itchy eyes, runny nose, headaches, sneezing... which interrupted my sleeping, which led to exhaustion and 'dullness'.  That's how I felt... DULL.  Like the light had gone out, or the color had washed out of me and my life.

I would use zyrtec or claritin... and my BP would spike, but at least I could carry on a consultation without continually wiping my nose or sneezing all over my client!  How gross!

I'm thinking Zyrtec stock will drop soon!    ;D

Bonnie
On the journey....

electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

That's funny! I think allot of meds stocks are going to be dropping soon!
I just developed high blood pressure about 6 months ago and I hoping that this will rid me of that soon too! It isn't really high and even though I do have to take blood pressure meds everyday they are a low dose and I am hoping I won't have to take them at all soon. I was really thrown for a loop when I went to the doctor and found out, I went for something all together different and found out about my blood pressure. Even though I know that anyone any age can get high blood pressure I never thought I would get it at 32 yrs old but I guess being 78lbs over weight will do that to you.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Bonnie CHA!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

Tina ~ we are two peas in a pod!  ;D  And on this diet PEAS ARE GOOOOD!

.......ALL ABOARD!  THIS TRAIN IS GOING TO SKINNYTOWN! ......
On the journey....

electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

hehehehehehehe!!  :laughing:  Your funny!! I like you!! I love to laugh!!
And it burns calories too!! haha
Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Everyone please post your stories on Medical Success Stories about how much better you feel since starting Let's Do Lunch.

Speaking of diluting full-fat mayo to stretch it, did you know you can also stretch your heavy protein to make it lighter at dinner?  With beans, of course.  Look for the Let's Do Lunch Burgers for the proportions of meats to beans.  Tina's hubby would probably enjoy the bean "potato" cakes at dinner, too.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

electricj1316 wrote:Does that mean that it is ok to have protein at dinner time in the beginning? I don't know if I misunderstood you. I am not supposed to have protein any time except at lunch right? I don't know if I have that right or not, can you set me straight?

i want everyone to understand something.....YOU make let's do lunch work for YOU.........i reached my weight goal after 9 months...i'm a nurse, but i only work part time...when i don't work, i eat a big fruit meal in the morning and whenever i get hungry after that, i eat my main meal....like 1-2pm......when i work, i'm done by 3...i don't have time to eat a big meal at work...i eat when i get home..............roger gives you guidelines in the book of how he lost the weight he lost....once he lost a lot of the weight he lost, he added certain things that were important to him.....YOU have to streamline this way of eating to YOUR lifestyle.....this is what EVERYONE needs to do...AND, eat a LOT of beans :thumbsup:........
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..