Message Board Question

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
photojenics
New, but learning

Message Board Question

Post by photojenics »

I'm familiar with message boards, but there is one feature I love that I'm not finding here. I'm probably just missing it, as each board is different.

Is there a "go to first unread" type button for the individual threads? I like to be able to read the latest post of a thread I'm following (but not subscribed to), without having to read through the whole thing to find again. Many of my other boards have it, and it would be a nice feature to have here too. Thanks!

Jen
Jen in N TX

Bonnie CHA!

Re: Message Board Question

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

Go to PROFILE

On the left hand side choose "Look and Layout"

Select your options there.

Hope this helps!
On the journey....

photojenics
New, but learning

Post by photojenics »

Hmmm... Still not seeing it. Anyone else using this feature, and can point it out to me? Thanks!
Jen in N TX

Bonnie CHA!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

I'm using this feature.  :D

What part are you not seeing?

Once you choose "Look and Layout Preferences, then check the box beside "Show most recent post at the top", then click CHANGE PROFILE at the bottom of the page.

It worked for me.

That's all I know to tell ya'

Sorry
On the journey....

photojenics
New, but learning

Post by photojenics »

*doh*

I didn't realize that was it. My other message boards are powered by vBulletin, and I was looking for the same phrasing they use there. Thanks for helping me out!  *love*
Jen in N TX

Bonnie CHA!

Post by Bonnie CHA! »

:D

Not a problem.  I'm new to the board too.  I was surprised I new where to find the feature!!

Have a great night!
On the journey....

photojenics
New, but learning

Post by photojenics »

The backwards feature isn't working for me (meaning I find it awkward), especially if it's a post I haven't read before. Here is a screen shot of the feature I'm looking for:

See the "view first unread" at the top? It makes following threads soooo much easier. That way you can still read everything in order, but can skip the posts you've read in that particular thread. Maybe this message board engine doesn't have this option, but it would sure be nice if it did.
Jen in N TX

greenheron

Post by greenheron »

I like vBulletin, too.  I don't believe this board has that feature.  The closest you can get is to click on the "show unread posts since last visit", then go to the last post in the thread (icon out the the right where you see the last poster) then you might have to scroll up until you see the posts from the last day you read the boards.  Occasionally you have to go back a page, but if you're reading pretty regularly, it's not too much trouble.  Then make sure if you're skipping journals or threads you don't care to read, click "mark all posts as read" so they won't open the next time you pull open new ones.

Of course, with the board getting so much busier, every day you have four or five pages of threads with new posts!
photojenics
New, but learning

Post by photojenics »

Thank you Mary, the only problem is that (for newbies like me) it only shows the very last post of the thread. There are lots of important/interesting/funny things in the middle of many of the threads that I've discovered.

What I do now is click the "show unread posts" link, then open up the threads I want to read in new tabs. I skim those threads to try and find where I left off. I guess I'm just going to have to keep skimming. It's not nearly as efficient but it seems to be the best work around if Simple Machines doesn't have this feature.  :sad:
Jen in N TX