Acceptable foods question

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
Vivvy
New, but learning

Acceptable foods question

Post by Vivvy »

Hi guys,

I still haven't received my book so just working from the postings so far.  I love Paula Dean's white bean chili recipe.  Would someone look over and see if anything is a "no-no" for LDL.  I already leave out the butter and green chiles  per my and family's tastes.  Thanks! 

Also, I haven't heard you all say much about black beans.  Are those okay also?  I prefer a mashed version of these to refried beans if given the choice.  Thanks. 

Ingredients

* 1 pound dried navy beans
    * 5 cups chicken stock
    * 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
    * 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    * 3/4 cup diced onion
    * 1 1/2 cups chopped green chiles (fresh or canned)
    * 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, finely chopped
    * 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    * 1 tablespoon dried oregano
    * 1 to 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    * Pinch red pepper flakes
    * 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped

Directions

Rinse beans well, cover with cool water, and soak for 2 hours. Drain. Place beans in large pot with chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. In a saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and chiles and saute for 5 minutes. Add chile mixture to pot with beans. Add chicken, cumin, oregano, pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and cilantro. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 1 1/2 hours. Serve with cornbread, if desired.
rmary

Re: Acceptable foods question

Post by rmary »

Hi Vivvy,
I am new, too, but I have the book and I think the only thing you will have a problem with is the butter.  Some fat free cheeses and skim milk are allowed, in moderation, but it does say to stay away from other types of dairy products.  Hope this is helpful.
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

no butter!  just use i can't believe it's not butter spray  :thumbsup:  i would check out the ingredient list on the green chiles...unless your getting fresh ones. black beans are ok.  when i went shopping i looked at all the ingredients in all the cans i bought.  i got the Rosarita black beans.  i lover me some black beans...lol

i just had to say...i love Paula too!!  i have a friend that knows her  :teeth:  i'm so jealous of her!
Vivvy
New, but learning

Post by Vivvy »

Lizzy,

I love her too!  She used to have a test kitchen in my husband's office building.  He didn't know who she was and we were watching T.V. one day and he said "Hey, I've been on the elevator with that lady."  Sure enough, it was her!  She is a hoot. 
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi Vivvy,

Leave out the butter and it's good to go.   :thumbsup:   Also yall, check out the soup recipes on the menu section of this board.  You won't believe how delicious they are!

You can have all the black beans you want.  :)   I rinse mine really well to get rid of gas issues but that's up to you as well.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!

And Paula Deen is one of my HERO'S in this world.  NOT for her eating habits though.   :laughing:  She's a survivor and she has the most beautiful loving spirit.   :inlove:

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Gwennaford »

Vivvy, it's okay to saute your veggies in a little olive oil before adding to recipes.  All the canned green chiles I have ever seen are okay.  I love the grassy flavor they add to Mexican dishes.  Roasted red peppers, too.  (No sugar added)

OFF TOPIC:  I got four pieces of Paula Deen teal colored cookware for Christmas.  Jealous?  *evil*  But her recipes are the pits.  She justifies feeding people that way, even children, by saying, "I'm not their doctor - I'm their cook." 

I love her too, but I'm afraid she's killing Michael.  His blood pressure must be in the thousands.

Did you see her in the movie with Orlando Bloom?  The name just escaped me.  Aunt Dora is just like my aunts back in the Ozarks.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

Gwen i would be jealous about your cookware...if i didn't already have Rachael Rays stuff...and her knives  ;) :laughing:

and your right...that woman sure eats alota butta!!  :teeth:
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

The movie was "Elizabethtown", a little city east of my little city!
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

photojenics
New, but learning

Post by photojenics »

Except that "Elizabethtown" was shot in Versailles, KY! *lol*  I went to high school in E-town, and my in-laws live in Versailles.
Jen in N TX

Vivvy
New, but learning

Post by Vivvy »

Gwennaford,

I agree with you on most of her recipes, but this one is great!  And yes, I am very jealous of your Paula pieces!  Thanks for the additional advice.  Book still not here and I can use all I can get!  Much love, V
Gwennaford
Master Member

OFF TOPIC

Post by Gwennaford »

Well, how cool is that!  Small world, huh?  All I could remember about the location was Kirsten Dunst saying "Loo-uh-vul" trying to teach Orlando how to pronounce Louisville.  

I appreciated the fact that he had this huge crisis and needed to get back to his roots to start his healing process, but I could have done without the kooky stewardess turn in the storyline.  Going on a cross-country odyssey guided by a goofy stranger on CD I felt detracted from the sweetness and richness of being in the bosom of his family.  They were kooky enough without her!  I realize there had to be a romantic interest in the story, but that was an awkward left turn for me.

I would have rewritten the ending so that the wild goose chase took him in a big circle around the country, ending up back in Kentucky where Kirsten was waiting for him in Elizabethtown and when they showed up together at the folk's house, Aunt Dora sprung the surprise that they were really fourth cousins twice removed and had been nursery school sweethearts when they were two.  They would have gotten married and lived happily ever after running the hotel after they restored the fire sprinkler damage, and getting comp plane tickets from her airline to travel around the world on vacations.

When I go OFF TOPIC -- I go WAY WAY OFF ! ! !
Last edited by Gwennaford on May 29th, 2009, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

I love the recipe for chili, and I'm sure you can find one on the boards for cornbread or have it with those corn crisps I keep hearing about and haven't been able to find yet, maybe this week.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Day-old Banzo Biscuits (do a search for the recipe in the recipes section) are a great sustitute for cornbread.
ImageImage