Diet Drinks

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
abertrand
New, but learning

Diet Drinks

Post by abertrand »

I love my Diet DrPepper- Is this okay?  Haven't gotten my book yet, but I've been on the diet for 2 days.
EnJae
Master Member

Re: Diet Drinks

Post by EnJae »

Aspartame is a sweetener you'll gradually want to wean yourself away from.  BUT don't worry about that right now. At first just fill yourself up on good foods and read your book 3 times when it comes. (We all miss things the first time around.)
NJ
abertrand
New, but learning

Post by abertrand »

Okay!  Thanks so much for quick response.  I went ahead and drank one this morning until I heard a reponse.
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Well, go ahead and finish up what you bought too. I, myself occasionally have a diet Coke or diet Dr. Pepper. I just don't drink them on a regular basis.  I crave water now.
abertrand
New, but learning

Post by abertrand »

I love Diet Lipton Green Tea w/ Citrus.  I think that I'll switch to this instead of my Diet DP.  Thanks so much!
GrammyBlue

Post by GrammyBlue »

I bought plain old club soda. It is fizzy and gives you the feeling of a diet drink. It has really helped me, because I love those diet drinks, but I have cut way back.
Hugs,
GrammyBlue
abertrand
New, but learning

Post by abertrand »

Thanks.  Is plain old club soda sweet or did you add something to it?
GrammyBlue

Post by GrammyBlue »

It isn't sweet, but it is real fizzy. Sometimes, I put fresh orange, lemon or lime slices in it. That is so good, too. I think you could put chunks of frozen fruit in it, but haven't tried that.  It has really helped my coke zero problem. Good luck!
GrammyBlue
You buy this on the drink isle. I think it is used in drinks, as a mixer.
abertrand
New, but learning

Post by abertrand »

Wow!  Chunks of fruit in it sounds wonderful.  I may add some type of sweetner to it if the fruit isn't sweet enough for me.  Thanks for your wonderful advice.  I just love this site.  I've only been here a few days and already feel like part of the family.  :D
Gretchen
New, but learning

Post by Gretchen »

Hi,

Here was what MSN.com had to say today about diet pops.  I, myself, love diet pepsi, but am trying to limit myself to 1 a day, and then go completely off in a week or so.  Good luck to you.

"Hard truth No. 1

Just because diet soda is low in calories doesn't mean it can't lead to weight gain.

More Healthy Eating Advice

* America's Healthiest Supermarket Foods
    * Best and Worst Burgers
    * Search: Find More on Nutrition

It may have only 5 or fewer calories per serving, but emerging research suggests that consuming sugary-tasting beverages—even if they're artificially sweetened—may lead to a high preference for sweetness overall. That means sweeter (and more caloric) cereal, bread, dessert—everything. Considering there are 15 calories in every teaspoon of sugar, that's not good news if you're watching your weight.

Hard truth No. 2

Guzzling these drinks all day long forces out the healthy beverages you need.

Diet soda is 100 percent nutrition-free—and it's important to remember that all that useless liquid is taking up space that could have gone to more healthy alternatives. On the positive side, it means you won’t be taking in equally non-nutritious, calorie- and sugar-packed options. But it's just as important to actively drink the good stuff as it is to avoid that bad stuff. So one diet soda a day is fine, but if you're downing five or six cans, that means you're limiting your intake of healthful beverages, particularly water and tea, which is high in antioxidants.

Plus, a recent study from Johns Hopkins found that restricting liquid caloric intake is a more effective way to lose weight than restricting calories from food. There’s no better place than by eliminating anything on our list of the 20 unhealthiest drinks in America.

Hard truth No. 3

There remain some concerns over aspartame, the low-calorie chemical used to give diet sodas their flavor.

Aspartame is 180 times sweeter than sugar, and some animal research has linked consumption of high amounts of the sweetener to brain tumors and lymphoma in rodents. The FDA maintains that the sweetener is safe, but reported side effects include dizziness, headaches, diarrhea, memory loss, and mood changes. Check out our guide to the 11 most controversial food additives to see how aspartame stacks up.

The bottom line is this: Diet soda does you no good, and it might just be doing you harm. The best way to hydrate is by drinking low-calorie, high-nutrient fluids—and choosing healthy alternatives, like the ones you'll find in our list of the 16 best drink swaps."

Gretchen
abertrand
New, but learning

Post by abertrand »

Wow!  Thanks for the great information.  I think I read somewhere posted that the artificial sweetners only make you crave more sugary things.  It's funny though, b/c when I drink my Diet Dp's, I crave salty things.  I am going to start getting away from the ASAP.  I've been on LDL since Sunday.  Started exercising Saturday evening and eating LDL foods on Sunday.  I have about 20-25lbs to lose, but haven't lost anything yet.  I'm not one to give up b/c I know that with exercise and healthy eating, I'll start seeing results soon!!  Sometimes it can be discouraging when I read that people who have been on LDL for only a couple of days are already losing.  I'm hanging in there though!!!
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

I just bookmarked your post, Gretchen.  THANKS!  I know we'll be using this again & again.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
DomsAngel66

Post by DomsAngel66 »

Gretchen,

Thanks for the wealth of information.  I have bookmarked it as well!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wkPC6SZ/]

Growing old is mandatory****Growing up is optional****Laughing at yourself is therapeutic
GreatDaneLady
New, but learning

Post by GreatDaneLady »

Abertrand,

Do get discouraged about the weight loss.  A lot of us on here need to lose double and even quadruple the amount you are wanting to lose.  It looks like the more the people have to lose the faster they seem to lose at the very beginning.  At lot of early weight loss is water, so don't give up!  You are probably just in much better shape than the rest of us.  :D
Phentermine support group!Image
abertrand
New, but learning

Post by abertrand »

Thanks so much GreatDaneLady for the encouraging words.  I realize that the more weight you have to lose, the faster it comes off in the beginning.  I have been pairing my LDL with exercise hoping that this will help.  I'm just one of those "quick gratification" people that needs results fast in order to have the willpower to stick.  So far, I have kept my willpower because I am seeing little results. :D
GreatDaneLady
New, but learning

Post by GreatDaneLady »

Way to go!  Good job, you'll reach your goal soon.
Phentermine support group!Image