help finding marinara sauce recipe

Great filling main dish recipes!
leahnadine

help finding marinara sauce recipe

Post by leahnadine »

Hello--I am new to this board and tried the search for marinara but nothing appeared.I can not seem to find the recipe someone (Carolyn, I think) spoke of a great marinara sauce that is the only one her family will only eat now. I think she was on the soup thread talking about this sauce. Can someone please supply a link or which thread contains this recipe.  I thank you!!
Leah
patsyfay
Master Member

Re: help finding marinara sauce recipe

Post by patsyfay »

this was the way i had to learn to make sauce because once my children ate my friend's sauce, they refused to eat mine....
        2 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes(preferably the plum tomatoes)
        1 medium onion
        10 nice size cloves of garlic
        7-8 leaves(with the smaller stems)of fresh basil

you break up the tomatoes with your hands(in a bowl)and then you put them through a food mill...meanwhile, in a large pot, saute the onion whole in olive oil....it should be brown all around, so put that in first..then add the garlic whole until brown all around also...add the tomatoes......whenever you want, you fish out the garlic(could be sooner...could be later)but you leave the onion in until the end......salt..pepper... simmer......i'm going to say i used to simmer it for a couple of hours....about an hour before it's done cooking, clean and add the basil and continue cooking....granma julia used to add a little sugar to take away the bitterness from the tomatoes, but we'll pass on that.......other than that ONE detail, this is the REAL thing....NOONE cooks like granma julia...

This is Niki's Granma Julia's Marinara Sauce.  I'll keep looking for Carolyn's.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

Here you go!

Carolyn's Marinara

1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
2-3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 small cans (6 oz.) tomato paste (or 1- 6oz. can)
4 cups water
1 Tablespoon dried Basil
1 Tablespoon dried Oregano
1 Tablespoon dried Parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons Splenda
1 1/2 teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper (less if you don't like it spicy)

In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onions are clear.  Add the remainder of ingredients (you can rinse the cans out to "start out" the 4 cups of water).  I like to cook this for at least 1/2 hour, but as anyone who has ever made Italian food knows, the longer you cook it, the better it is!

Bon Appétit!!
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Mmmmm.....I love marinara sauce.  I like to cut up boneless, skinless, chicken breasts in nugget size......they cook up fast in the frying pan.....and then dip them in marinara sauce.  For me, this satisfies like spaghetti.  Who knew?
mrsj
leahnadine

Post by leahnadine »

Thank you so much for your quick replies!!  I can't wait to try this.
leah :)
abertrand
New, but learning

Post by abertrand »

Yum!!! MrsJudo-  You just gave me an idea for dinner tonight.  That sounds wonderful.  I'm already getting hungry!!
vleller

Post by vleller »

Thanks for these recipes.  You can also make a delicious tomato soup with the marinara sauce.  
In a big pot with some EVOO, saute some onions (I use TX Sweet or Vidalia), garlic & celery until translucent; dice some carrots and add to the pot and saute a little longer; add some marinara sauce (whatever your favorite brand is)  and some chicken broth - or any kind of broth you like.  Throw in some seasonings like Italian, or dill, or basil or whatever you like.  Let it all simmer for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to meld.  I don't measure when I cook, just eyeball everything, so you add as much as you want of what you like.  This is a good basic soup.  To this you can then add beans or meats to make it heartier.

Yum, I might have to fix this tonight.
Last edited by vleller on June 4th, 2009, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn