New to LDL with a couple questions

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Denice

New to LDL with a couple questions

Post by Denice »

Decided to start the "new year", I'm 58 today, by losing weight and getting fit so ordered the book today and have been reading forums.  Read about LDL in First.  Has anyone really lost 10 pounds in a week?  :blush:I have a couple of concerns: 1) I am losing bone mass> I take calcium with D, magnesium and Evista to counteract and, according to my doctor, nedd to increase calcium intake with milk, cheeses and fat-free plain yogurt with fruit added.  Suggestions?  Secondly. I'm not sure I can find some of the ingredients mentioned in recipes in local grocery stores. Even simple ones like chick peas, soy products and edamime (?, not sure of spelling - never Heard of it.) Help!       
Denice
Gretchen
New, but learning

Re: New to LDL with a couple questions

Post by Gretchen »

Hi,

Chickpeas are found in the canned veggie aisle.  They are also found commonly in the "international foods" aisle of most stores with "mexican" foods. You can find them fresh in some places and dried in health stores.  Edamame is actually baby soybeans in their pods.  It's called Edamame because that is the name of the process used in Japan, China and Korea where they boil them in water with condiments like salt and serve them whole.  These can be found fresh and frozen, usually frozen.  Most stores are now selling soy products in their dairy areas.  If you are from a small town, you might have to locate a health store for this item.
A lot of foods have Calcium in them, some of the ones are:  broccoli, kale, peas, spinach, oranges, black beans, baked beans, and salmon.
I'm just starting, so no, I haven't lost 10 pounds in the first week (only day 4 for me and I don't plan on weighing in until the 2 week mark - but I feel better and have more energy), but yes, several people have.  You have to follow the stricter version of it though, I believe - fruit smoothie in the morning, approved afternoon meal, and veggies and fruits at night - no snacks or occassional foods.  Who knows though, everyone is different.  The important thing is a steady weight loss and getting your health back.  Feeling better is a definite with this way of eating and living. 

Good luck to you,
Gretchen
vleller

Post by vleller »

Chickpeas are also called garbanzo beans.  I bought some by Bush's this past week.  I'm also fairly new and have lost a bit over 7 lbs in 2.5 weeks.  I'm not weighing too often as RT told us not to be addicted to the scales.  :happy:  I'm only going to let myself weigh once a month and just go by how my clothes fit me. :thumbsup:

But one thing I have noticed with all the fruit I'm eating now.  My ankles and legs don't swell up as much during the day sitting in my chair at the office.  They also used to swell up on long car trips.  When we drove down to Destin last week, no swelling!  *woot*  I'm loving this! 
Lynn
Denice

Post by Denice »

Thanks for feedback.  BTW, how do you add weight ticker?
Denice
vleller

Post by vleller »

Right click your mouse on any ticker and it will take you to that website.  You choose your own design then click "next" and choose your counter, then click "next" again.  When you finish choosing all the bells & whistles, click on update or change profile so it saves what you did.  Then just go to the messages and do a reply to see if it worked.  I had to change mine 3 times before I got it right.  :rolleyes:
Lynn
chipmunk

Post by chipmunk »

I lost 15 lbs in 6 days,then started gaining some back, so stayed off the scale for one night hey that's good for me I weight about10-12 a day....now  back down to 15 pds lost in two weeks..I know I'm going to get in trouble for weighting so much *evil* But I know I'm a work in progress. AND THROUGH THE LORD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIABLE.
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

Denice wrote:I have a couple of concerns: 1) I am losing bone mass> I take calcium with D, magnesium and Evista to counteract and, according to my doctor, nedd to increase calcium intake with milk, cheeses and fat-free plain yogurt with fruit added.  Suggestions?  Secondly. I'm not sure I can find some of the ingredients mentioned in recipes in local grocery stores. Even simple ones like chick peas, soy products and edamime (?, not sure of spelling - never Heard of it.) Help!         

you can eat fat free yogurt with your own stewed fruit...just like everyone said about the green vegetables that are rich in calcium...................but, your taking a good quality supplement is also very acceptable....i mean, i KNOW that if i eat cheeses and drink milk, i'll gain weight and THAT will be bad for OTHER health reasons....so, maintaining good homeostasis in your body ISN'T easy.........trying to maintain good health throughout...
  you have to start checking out different aisles in your supermarket...there are more of these things in there than you realized.....................or start browsing other supermarkets in your area........i know that where i live, all the supermarkets have a good supply of dried beans......and a lot of the rest of the stuff good for healthy eating is fresh(fruits and vegetables)..
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
Denice

Post by Denice »

Stores are small and not much variety.  Have a few dried beans - very few.  May have to travel to larger towns once a month or so.  :thumbsup:
Denice
GreatDaneLady
New, but learning

Post by GreatDaneLady »

The international isle at Meijer has a large selection of foods -- they are very yummy!  Also if you have any international grocery stores in your town, you can find tons of different types of food there.
Phentermine support group!Image