Wii Fit

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
GreatDaneLady
New, but learning

Wii Fit

Post by GreatDaneLady »

Before starting LDL, I began doing Wii Fit.  I found that it was a wonderful way for me to work in some exercise without being embarrassed.  Gyms are too embarrassing for me because with chronic fatigue I sometimes can only work out for 10 minutes at a time.  I know I shouldn't care what other people think, but in college, while I still was fat, I ran 2 miles, then worked out on an elliptical trainer, and then did weights.  I did a total of 2 hours a day just to stay in size 16-18 clothing.  In addition to this I went dancing for 3 hours on Monday, Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights.  I tracked EVERYTHING I ate and still remained fat, but at least I could do any activity I wanted.

Then in 2001 my body decided to totally betray me!  I got chronic fatigue and fibro.  Exercise became a thing of the past.  The Wii Fit has been a God Send b/c I can workout for as long as my body will tolerate.  I still have days when walking my dog is all I can do, but I'm slowly getting back to where I can exercise.

Today was a thrill because I did 40 minutes of cardio and actually broke a huge sweat!  I still have energy!  I hope that this diet will get my body to where I can do any activity I want!  I'm so fat now that I can barely get the seats buckled on a roller coaster and that's one of my VERY favorite things to do! 

I know that the LDL says you don't have to exercise, but for those of you like me who want to exercise but your body fails you or you are too embarrassed to go to a gym, the Wii Fit is actually fun and you can workout at your own pace!
Phentermine support group!Image
electricj1316
Master Member

Re: Wii Fit

Post by electricj1316 »

Greatdanelady,
One of the things that you have to be careful with is working your muscles too much. Sometimes even when your overweight, if you work your muscles too much your body begins to burn muscle instead of fat. This has happened to some people depending on their body, that may have been what was happening to you. I found that when I was working out 6 days a week and hour a day my body stopped burning fat. So when I cut it down to 3 days a week instead, I could tell the difference and I felt allot better. I think it all depends on what your body needs because some people can lift weights everyday and it doesn't bother them and then there are others that their body rejects allot of working out. I welcome any nurses  or others in the medical field to give a more medical answer for this. I know I didn't do a very good job of explaining it.

We have a Wii but we don't have the fit yet, I have been wanting one so I think I'm gonna have to go out and buy one.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

the Wii is lots of fun!  i like they Wii because the kids are actually doing motions with their whole bodies instead of just hands.  my favs are the bowling and tennis.
photojenics
New, but learning

Post by photojenics »

We like Fit too, although my kids REALLY love Outdoor Challenge. It's more game like than fitness, but really gets you going! I can only do a few minutes at a time because I'm so out of shape.  Wii recently came out with EA Sports Active, which has been getting good reviews at Amazon. And sometime soon they are releasing Wii Sports Resort, which comes with the Wii MotionPlus.

I've had the best results overall using the Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" DVDs. When I first tried them two years ago, I couldn't even hardly make it halfway through the one mile workout. My favorite disks are her blue Express ones, and the 5 Day Slim Down.
Jen in N TX

Gemini the Younger

Post by Gemini the Younger »

GreatDaneLady wrote:Today was a thrill because I did 40 minutes of cardio and actually broke a huge sweat!  I still have energy!  I hope that this diet will get my body to where I can do any activity I want!  I'm so fat now that I can barely get the seats buckled on a roller coaster and that's one of my VERY favorite things to do! 

One thing is certain, GreatDaneLady, there's one roller coaster car you no longer need to worry about buckling yourself into--the weight loss roller coaster.  You've found LDL and a great (unconditionally loving) support group.  Now you're safely strapped into your own car to the skinny city and there's a whole long string of us riding the rails with you.  Can't you just hear us whooping and hollering as we pick up speed, leaning into the twists and turns?  Can't you just see us waving our arms and hands excitedly over our heads, feel our joy and faith as we race towards the promised land?  We were lost, but now we're found.  But you needn't take my word for it.  Take His Word.

If someone had told you several weeks ago that soon you would be doing "...40 minutes of cardio...and still have energy..." you probably would have said, "That would take a miracle."  And you would've been right, GreatDaneLady, because that's exactly what God has given you...your own personal miracle.  Is healing a chair bound woman so that she is able to stand and exercise any less of a miracle than giving sight to a blind man?  I think not.

Something else you might ponder.  Did you ever consider that you might not have chosen your dog--your dog might have chosen you?  Where is it written that all guardian angels must be, well, angels?  Hmmm?

I am so happy for you...
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

*love* gemini I lurve you, you have such wisdom  *hug*  Great Dane lady, just take it easy and dont overdue as to cause you more pain/anguish when your body tells you to stop STOP, its not failing its protecting  *hug* you WILL do this....................and I so wanna wii  :'(
Gemini the Younger

Post by Gemini the Younger »

isthis4me wrote: ....................and I so wanna wii  :'(

Me, too.  Everytime I leave WalMart this little piggy cries "Wii!  Wii!  Wii!" all the way home.
GreatDaneLady
New, but learning

Post by GreatDaneLady »

I was pretty against getting any kind of video system at first.  My step-son is very obese, he has no desire to move whatsoever.  It truly drives us nut that he is so insanely lazy.  (He can move -- and quickly if he wants to, but the only thing that gets that to happen is shopping or food.)  He's COMPLETELY OBSESSED with food.  It's quite sad.  My husband and I will try and make sure he has healthy meals, but the minute we turn our heads he's sneaking food.  This child is in grade school and literally eats more food at one meal than I eat in an entire day.

All he wants to do is sit with these stupid cards and play computer games.  When he said he wanted an X-Box or something like that, I told my husband it was a horrible idea because it would just be one more sedentary activity for him.  Well, my other step son who is quite active and could actually stand to gain weight was BEGGING for one as well.  He however wanted a Wii.  I had no clue what it was, so when I looked into it I thought, this could be quite good for the other one.

So long story short, we finally gave in and purchased a Wii in hopes that it would motivate this child to move and realize that activity can be fun!  It's quite pitiful to watch him but we keep encouraging him, hoping that he will do more and more.  I have tried to get him to go on walks with me but he refuses.  (His father can't get him to move either -- it's not just me.)

Unfortunately, his mother had the stomach surgery.  She was morbidly obese, lost probably 300 pounds, but is larger now than before she had the surgery.  When I ask what they eat it's always fast food, pop tarts, swiss rolls -- so there isn't a lot we can do except feed them healthy foods when they are with us and then encourage them to try and choose healthy choices when they aren't with us.  :(

It's pitiful to watch, he's gained almost 100 pounds in the last year.  Since he mimics a lot of what I do, I'm hoping that he will want to mimic this way of eating too!
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Greatdanelady,

That is so sad! :'(  It is good that they are getting you and your husband as role models, so maybe both of your good eating habits will wear off on him.

On a happy note, I just bought the Wii fit today!!!! YYYYYYYAYYAYYAYAYYAYAY!!!  *woot* *woot* *woot*
My 7yr old son is driving me crazy to hook it up but I was cooking Mary's chicken fajitas for lunch (AMAZING BY THE WAY) and I told him he had to wait because it had to be hooked up.

I can't wait to get started!!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

Gemini the Younger wrote:
isthis4me wrote: ....................and I so wanna wii  :'(

Me, too.  Everytime I leave WalMart this little piggy cries "Wii!  Wii!  Wii!" all the way home.

OK...seriously...i'm cracking up! reading what you type is good way to firm up the stomach muscles. :thumbsup:
SharonMay
New, but learning

Post by SharonMay »

Wii Fit ROX!

I have the balance board too (although it has a small crack even though I fit the weight restrictions) and I just got Gold's Cardio Gym...it is AWESOME!! It is like DDR (dance dance revelution) but for boxing...and you do other moves too...it is fun!

I DO NOT reccomend the Jillian Michael's Fitness bootcamp as the game does not respond to controller very well...and this has been a common complaint amongst gamers.
NO FORCE OF NATURE CAN BREAK
YOUR WILL TO SELF-MOTIVATE

GreatDaneLady
New, but learning

Post by GreatDaneLady »

Thanks for the game advice info -- I was actually wondering about both of those!

As for the earlier comment about my puppy being an angel -- if she's not an angel, and angel sent her to me!
My husband thinks I need help :P  Went had a date day and I felt horrid for leaving her at home.  I mean we had a great time today, but I knew she wouldn't understand what was going on since I've only left her alone for about 30 minutes before.  Since I became unemployed, I have been doing a lot of outdoor activities -- one for the exercise and two b/c it's cheap :P  Because of this I just take her with me every where.  She's a bit spoiled but well behaved!  I was razed today that I'm going to be the Crazy Dane Lady instead of the Crazy Cat Lady when I get old haha.
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

My husband bought the Wii and Wii fit for me, now I have to get him to hook it up, but it isn't on his priority list what with painting, grouting, remodeling, and trying to move in, but I so got him to walk with me tonight, we were supposed to bike, but his has a low tire, and he didn't bring the adapters for the compressor to add air to the tire.
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

We have been playing with the wii fit for a couple of days now and all I have been doing is the hula hoop. I have to say that it definitely works!! It gets my heart rate up and this morning my behind, hips, and stomach are sore!! And I don't even feel like I am exercising!!! How awesome is that!! This thing is amazing!!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
GreatDaneLady
New, but learning

Post by GreatDaneLady »

I know, who ever thought someone could make something that made exercise feel fun.  I'm EXTREMELY competitive and so is my husband.  We try so hard to beat each other's scores...with the hula hoop, we end up cracking each other up b/c we look so ridiculous!  The Super Hula hoop one really kicks me in the butt!  The boxing one made my arms sore for days!
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Greatdanelady,

I am cracking up right now!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: We all laugh at each other too!! When you stand in a way that you can't see the tv, it looks like the person doing it has lost their mind!! lol  My 11yr old daughter is the funniest doing the hula hoop because she can't do her hips around so she just ends up looking like Mr. Bean when he dances!! (I hope you know who Mr. Bean is, if not go to youtube and punch in: Mr. Bean Dancing and you will get the full effect!!)

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
GreatDaneLady
New, but learning

Post by GreatDaneLady »

Oh my gosh, I never thought of that but you are right -- Mr. Bean is the perfect way to describe the way people look.  My step kids can't figure it out either, they look so goofy LOL.  I tried showing them -- no effect, so I finally took put my hands on their hips and tried to physically move them -- no effect.  It was hysterical.  My DH kept shouting "butt out, butt out"  I thought, thank heavens we no longer live in an apartment, the neighbors would think we were insane!  Everyone was laughing hysterically!
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Greatdanelady,

You always have me rolling!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I was doing the same thing to my daughter, I tried my best to get her to swing her hips around the whole time laughing my head off because she still couldn't get it! But my 7 year old son is #1! He is amazing, he will have like 6 hula hoops on at one time, he goes to almost 300 reps on a turn!! Can you believe that! It is so funny!! Too bad we couldn't all get together and do it, we would lose weight just from all of the laughing!!  :laughing:

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie