Lovely Time at a Restaurant

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
AnnieR
New, but learning

Lovely Time at a Restaurant

Post by AnnieR »

I think that I had an epiphany today.
We went out to brunch and I knew that we were going to a restaurant that did not have a fresh fruit plate.
So I was really worried but not wanting to cause others to change their plans.
Living here in the South, everything under the Sun comes with an option of hash browns, home fries or grits... and, of course, I've never met a potato that I didn't like....  well, not any more-- of course.

I've never thought about grits in all of the 25 years that I've lived here.  I never glance their way on any menu...
but all of a sudden, I thought-- aren't grits ground corn?  Either yellow or white (hominy) corn... and there's not anything else added.
They also don't put anything on it or in it... besides water.

So I had soft poached eggs with grits... and a little lovely Tabasco Sauce.

I had a 'taker' for my unbuttered rye toast that I would never eat but it came with the meal... so I could be generous with my skinny ol' friend....

And my entire meal cost a big $2.99 with decaf coffee and plenty of water.

I felt like a queen because no one thought that I was doing anything out of the ordinary---but I was.... and I could just have a lovely thing.
I never really thought about eating the humble hominy grits before.  I probably would never do it at home but when out, almost every place here serves them for any meal.
AnnieR
New, but learning

Re: Lovely Time at a Restaurant

Post by AnnieR »

PS--- Don't worry, I had plenty of frozen grapes when I got up... that helped me stay on track when we went out a couple of hours later. :kissed:
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi Annie,

First of all congratulations on thinking on your feet!  Secondly, I hate to be the barer of bad news, but grits are an LDL not so much food.  Don't fret though, it was ONE meal in the plan for the rest of your life and I'm so happy you were able to fly through it and be comfortable.  But please don't make that your action plan for eating out.  Something about processing corn makes it fattening and grits, cornmeal etc. will put the weight on if you eat them alot.  It sounds like you guys ate at Waffle House.  :laughing:  I'm in Atlanta and we have one on every corner. 

I DO want to congratulate you again for not getting the potatoes.  That's great!  :thumbsup:  Next time, maybe you could try some fresh tomatoes with your brunch.  In any event, it sounds like you did the best you could with what you had to work with.  That's what it's all about.  *Hugs*

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by patsyfay »

Good choices, Annie!  Roger always says that when you have a choice, always choose the one thing that will cause the least amount of problems or cravings.  That's what you did!!  Good for you, giving away your bread.  Hominy is allowed on LDL, but I'm not sure about grits.  Every restaurant has their own recipes, and some of them contain ingredients we try to stay away from...fats, sugars, etc.  And grits really are processed corn. I really don't want to rain on your parade, because you really did make good choices today, and may need to make the same ones the next time, but maybe they can serve you some sliced tomatoes or other vegetables on the side next time.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

I had to laugh!!  Little Princess and I were posting our responses at about the same time and we both suggested tomatoes!!  That is the LDL mind set for you. :laughing:  :laughing:
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

AnnieR
New, but learning

Post by AnnieR »

Well drats and double drats!

The side of the package had hominy as the only ingredient and they don't put anything else in.
I really thought that I was sticking with the program.  That's pretty discouraging.
AnnieR
New, but learning

Post by AnnieR »

LP--  I forgot to say.  It wasn't a Waffle House.  There's one out by the Inter-State but it seems greasy to me. I avoid them.  Maybe, there are good ones, I haven't seen them though.  There's one in Atlanta right next to a hotel when we often stay by the airport.  I've been there several times because my hubby likes them.
I'm really bummed about this grits thing... phooey
joecaracappa
Master Member

Post by joecaracappa »

AnnieR wrote:Well drats and double drats!

The side of the package had hominy as the only ingredient and they don't put anything else in.
I really thought that I was sticking with the program.  That's pretty discouraging.

It is a topic of much debate that usually leans toward the philosophy "if there is any doubt don't eat it".

That being said, once in a while I like a bowl of polenta which is cornmeal, water and a bit of salt. Cornmeal is dried corn crushed under a big stone....that's it, there are no other additives in cornmeal.

I say you made a good choice. Even Roger talks about going to McDonald's, ordering a burger, and throwing away the top of the bun (by the way McDonald's will lettuce wrap any sandwich).

Always make good choices in life and you will never go wrong......or hungry!

Joe
CHI MANGIA BENE, VIVE BENE.
Who eats well, lives well.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

LP said:
It sounds like you guys ate at Waffle House.    I'm in Atlanta and we have one on every corner. 

Or a Cracker Barrell !  LOL  I didn't even bother posting a link to their menus.  They DO have a sliced tomato side, but if you go there, you can pretty much plan on eating eggs and tomatoes, 'cause ain't nothin' else there that is even remotely LDL.  Except low sugar jams for the low carb eaters, but then what are you gonna put it on?  Even the apples are fried! ! !

I'm so glad you had a lovely time.  The grits were not the worst thing you could have chosen, so don't feel bad.  In my mind, they are in the same category as 100% rolled or steel-cut oats - a VERY occasional food. 

I always suggest Googling the restaurant menu before you go out to eat.  This enables you be prepared, not only with what you're going to order at the restaurant, but how to plan your day's eating before and after.  If they have a lot of dishes and sides that you can adapt to Let's Do Lunch, you can eat lightly before you go.  If they have very limited choices, you can FILL UP before you go and just nibble while you're there.  Or go somewhere else entirely if you have a choice. 

Another thing is to make sure you have something really good & tasty waiting for you at home, like a savory bean soup, or the ingredients for a cooked apple or banana dessert.  Many times when I've been caught unprepared & been stumped for what to order, I just think about something yummy I have waiting for me at home and it sounds so much better than what's on the menu, that I'm able to just have a salad or steamed vegetable & wait until later for the good stuff!

It's surprising how quickly LDL foods become the GOOD STUFF you prefer and are willing to wait for.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

patsyfay wrote:Good choices, Annie!  Roger always says that when you have a choice, always choose the one thing that will cause the least amount of problems or cravings.  That's what you did!! 

i'm with you, pat...annie, that's no big deal if you make that a choice when you go out....it doesn't sound like this was ever one of your staples, so i think it's a great out for you when you go to a place with so many other temptations that you're not succumbing to...being a YANKEE, i'm not sure if grits are whole grain....i guess they are, but they're processed more than say, oatmeal....ok...i never did it, but doesn't roger still say in the book that you can take the insides out of a roll and use the shell?......eating grits with eggs is nice and filling and keeps your eyes from googling at the food the people you're with are eating....
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
AnnieR
New, but learning

Post by AnnieR »

I'm glad that it was a totally terrible error.  I looked in the book and did not see hominy grits listed as something not to buy/eat.
The restaurant is not one that you could google the menu. They don't have a website. It was just about a year ago that they finally got a cordless phone.... which has certainly helped service not having someone 'chained' to the phone.
It is a restaurant that I've eaten in for years though. During the lunch and dinner nights, there are salads and lots of veggies on the menu but we were there during the breakfast serving hours.  I just wanted something simple and not to have to explain to friends and members from other chapters.

That's one thing that I'd hoped to leave behind from era of dieting:  not to have what I'm eating, or not eating, to be the topic of others' conversations.

I am definitely a Yankee in a strange land down here.  We're about 11 hours south of Atlanta.
Grits sounded like a winner to me since it's not wheat or gluten and is whole grain corn without any fat.... a staple of LDL but I just won't do it again.         
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Annie,

I just wanted to post again because I DON'T want you feeling like you made a bad choice.  You absolutely did the best you could in that situation.  *HUGS*  And that's the beauty of LDL is that it's NOT a diet.  It really is a lifestyle change and as long as we keep that mindset all of the things that come along that challenge us remain just that.  I'm with you on the Waffle House ICK factor.  :laughing:  And I was raised down here. 

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you and tell you not to stress about the grits.  Keep your mind on the big picture and let the little things fall off like the little things they are.  You are gonna do this and we are going to be here to support you all the way!

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by AnnieR »

Thanks, LP.
I've been trying not to think about being so excited and finding out that I had messed up after all.  I went out playing cards with the girls tonight while dh and our son had some male bonding time.  I'm sure that they had a BBQ jamboree...
We played Hands and Foot.  Has anyone played that?  It had my mind going so fast that I didn't have any power left over to bemoaning my grit-faux pas.  Waffle House has a definite ick factor....There are several others that aren't far behind... yikes!