vegetarian

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
Mar111777

vegetarian

Post by Mar111777 »

I'm new to this board and just started with LDL. I ordered the book and am anxiously waiting for it to be delivered. I read an article in a magazine, have followed the meal plan and have lost 5 pounds in 5 days! Yippee! My question is about being a vegetarian.  Aside from tofu, is it acceptable to use processed meat substitutes for the protein meal? I thinking of things like Boca Burgers and soy hot dogs. Any pointers?
Maryanne
mom
Master Member

Re: vegetarian

Post by mom »

you really will have to look at the ingredient list and make sure they don't list any of the hundreds of names for sugar, in the ingredient list.  You can meet your protein requirements with beans, corn and peas.  not being a vegetarian, I don't know the right mix of beans, legumes etc, but I'm sure someone could help you out.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Re: vegetarian

Post by Gwennaford »

Sorry, we try to stay far away from processed foods and eat a version that is closer to its natural form.  I tried to sneak in some Morningstar Farms Veggie Crumbles into some vegetarian chili one time and the Food Police jumped on it right away.  In addition to the soy, veggie meats are made with wheat gluten to simulate meat's chewy texture.  All processed wheat is bad on Let's Do Lunch, with the exception of 100% whole shredded wheat cereal (an occasional food if you must have cereal once in a while).  I believe your main sources of protein will be from beans, peas, edamame, lentils, corn, squash and possibly a little unpolished dark mahogany brown or black japonica rice.  Although many people who were eating a lot of it found that they stopped losing weight.  Roger Troy, the author, feels that all dairy is fattening, even fat free, so he recommends using as little of it as possible.  Seeds and nuts are not allowed.  The verdict is still out on tofu and other processed soy products.  Do you eat fish or eggs at all?

Please start by reading the FAQ's that Mary Simmons is in the process of writing.  She's our resident Chief of Food Police and is incredibly knowledgable about everything related to healthy eating.  She'll be able to set you up.  She will likely reply to your post here within a short time.  If she doesn't you can send her a personal message.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage