Frozen grapes good - brown grapes bad!

Recount your testimonials and personal success stories, both large and small, here. Give inspiration to others.
julie409
Master Member

Frozen grapes good - brown grapes bad!

Post by julie409 »

Ok so I froze some grapes and after munching a few, decided they were good.  :thumbsup:
Well being compulsive as I am, I froze more than I could eat and then put the bowl in the frig for later. WRONG!!! I didn't realize that once the grapes are frozen, they need to continue in a frozen state. When I went to get them in the morning ---- brown yucky mess o'grapes!  Not appetizing  :thumbdown:

That's one more disaster for my collection. At least I did not experience any of the plagues of flooding and fire this time. Progress! But I would suspect pestilence will follow if I don't toss the brown grapes now.

Lesson learned!

Julie
bethp

Re: Frozen grapes good - brown grapes bad!

Post by bethp »

LOL, Julie!    I love the frozen grapes...I take grapes to work and put in the freezer as I get there.....
Thanks for lesson! It is a good thing to know with all the other things we are fast learning! A new WOL! So fun!
  *love*
This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 Image
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

I just have to go slower and think once in a while before jumping.  :wrong:
BTW, don't tell NJ,  ;) I almost burned my spaghetti squash today. Forgot all about them while reading the boards.
Good thing I passed the oven on the way to the bathroom. TGIF :thumbsup:

Julie :rose:
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

Speaking of bathroom - is anyone else going to the bathroom frequently? I decided I must be burning fat and getting rid of it as I'm going to the bathroom pretty often.
Oh yah, frozen fruit thawed is not good - I tried bananas for banana bread once. It was ok to use for the banana bread but sure wouldn't have been good for anything else. Also learned to peel the bananas before freezing, very difficult to peel a frozen banana. *woot* *woot* Lynda
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Thanks for that, Lynda. I wouldn't have thought to peel them first - the bananas not the grapes.  :)

On the other, I am not going as much as I was before. In fact, I think I am retaining water. I don't use salt when I cook bc I have this tendency anyway and I have Rosacea which can be triggered by salt.  But I think that there is salt or sodium in a lot of the foods I eat on LDL bc I am not losing many inches around my mid section  :thumbdown:  but I am losing weight - go figure!  :thumbsup:

Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

I'm new so forgive my comment here but it seems the LDL foods would not typically have a lot of salt. Have you received your book yet? I'm still waiting for mine but I only ordered it about a week ago. Input from the food police here would be good.  :shock: Lynda
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

I'm new too and trying to find my way.  :)
Yep, I have the book but there is sodium in a lot of stuff esp. canned veggies and chicken stock. I don't know if my body is reacting to the beans and all the fruit since I usually go Atkins and wasn't eating any of those things, in like forever (actually beans were never a part of my diet). I will just keep drinking water and hopefully my body will adjust.  I welcome any input.

Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

I'm sure others will comment here as this group is very helpful and supportive. I don't know enough to offer any additional input about the salt and LDL foods. Hang in and you'll here from the "oldies" before long. :rose: Lynda
intune878

Post by intune878 »

I don't know if I am doing this correctly.  I am not sure how to reply.  Hope this does it.

Eljayne wrote:Speaking of bathroom - is anyone else going to the bathroom frequently? I decided I must be burning fat and getting rid of it as I'm going to the bathroom pretty often.
Oh yah, frozen fruit thawed is not good - I tried bananas for banana bread once. It was ok to use for the banana bread but sure wouldn't have been good for anything else. Also learned to peel the bananas before freezing, very difficult to peel a frozen banana. *woot* *woot* Lynda

julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

HI Intune,
If you hit the REPLY button under the last post, and then type what you want to say, your reply only will show.
If you hit the quote button on any specific reply, and then type what you want to say, your words will show and then the quote will show in a box, as it did on your last reply. You can even delete some of the quote if it does not apply to what you want to say.

Anyway, welcome to our community.  :D
It is great fun and full of inspiration for all of us. Start your own topic if you have not already done so. You won't believe the support you will receive. And if you go on to your profile, you can check who has replied to your posts.

Hope to hear more from you!
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Thanks Mary,

I had read about the fresh stuff being better than canned. In fact, I bought a bag of red lentils but have not found the time to cook them.  Maybe tomorrow I will be able to do that.

I will continue on my quest - yeesh - going to the supermarket has become a part time job!  :shock: It's worth it though!  I feel wonderful!  :thumbsup:

julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Thank Mary,

I KNOW I would not be able to continue without all the wonderful support of the LDL community. It is as important a component for success as the eating plan itself.

I will try the red lentils this week and check out the recipe section again.

Have a great weekend,
bethp

Post by bethp »

I am going to Whole Foods after work so I am going to get the red lentils too. I can spend more time on this board and put off things like getting ready for work! :'( I'd rather spend the day talking to you guys! But duty calls. I am gone this time!! LOL
Have a great day!
This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24 Image
Eljayne
Master Member

Post by Eljayne »

You can find sodium free canned broths and veggies in many grocery stores, including tomatoes and beans, etc.  If not, even better, use fresh whenever possible, or soak and cook dried beans.  They're much more economical than ones in cans.  It's just a matter of reading the labels and finding the variety that is right for you.  I hope this helps! Mary
[/quote]

I knew someone would get back with the correct information soon. Thanks so much and thanks for the "quote" instructions. I hadn't figured that out yet.  See how much I'm learning and I've spending so much time here I'm not thinking about what to eat next. I really think the craving thing is already being addressed. Lynda :thumbsup:
Laura Loretta

Post by Laura Loretta »

Oh geesh thanks for that tip.  I would have done the same thing.

I'm beyond addicted to frozen grapes and bananas.
Gwennaford
Master Member

Post by Gwennaford »

Ha Ha -- I never waste anything (except Neil's uneaten food) so I would have figured some way to use the liquidy grapes.  Maybe as the liquid component to a fruit smoothie?  EnJae made a grape slushy one time with grapes & ice cubes as refreshing summer beverage.

If they had been refrigerated & thawed overnight in the freezer they would have been perfectly fine to eat.  I would think you could take them off the stems & refreeze them to make the slushy.  Just thinking out loud (so to speak )

Gwen
OH - BTW -- When I cook red lentils, I cook only what I'm going to eat at one meal.  Wash them in a strainer (they're too tiny for a colander), put a cupful in a saucepan, cover with water & bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for only 5 minutes from this point 'cause I like them a little al dente.  I cook until each little lentil looks almost like a pale tomato seed -- translucent around the edges & slightly opaque in the center.  This gives them a little resistace between your teeth without being crunchy.  Almost like the texture of cooked pecans.  Also keeps some of their lovely orangey color.  LOVE this for breakfast as is.  Especially cooked in my own homemade no added salt, no fat chicken broth.  YUM!
Last edited by Gwennaford on June 6th, 2009, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
• Join me in the Let’s Do Lunch message boards!
ImageImage
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Gwennaford,

You're more valiant than I am... I just tossed them.

Thanks for the tips on the red lentils. I have no clue about this stuff. Up until now, beans were not a part of my diet.

EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

julie409 wrote:I just have to go slower and think once in a while before jumping.  :wrong:
BTW, don't tell NJ,  ;) I almost burned my spaghetti squash today. Forgot all about them while reading the boards.
Good thing I passed the oven on the way to the bathroom. TGIF :thumbsup:

:D
NJ

Gwennaford wrote:EnJae made a grape slushy one time with grapes & ice cubes as refreshing summer beverage.
Gwen

I don't remember that. Was it good?
NJ
Last edited by EnJae on June 6th, 2009, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.