uses for popcorn flour ?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
t-rock
Master Member

uses for popcorn flour ?

Post by t-rock »

Hello everyone:

I made a batch of popcorn flour yesterday but I don't know what to do with it.  I am not much of a pancake or biscuit eater, so just curious where else you would recommend using popcorn flour, AND, how long does it typically keep ?   Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,

Tiss
Last edited by Anonymous on June 10th, 2009, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t-rock
Master Member

Re: uses for popcorn flour ?

Post by t-rock »

anyone anyone ?  I am thinking about mixing it with herbs, dredging chicken breasts in it after dipping in egg white and sauteeing in garlic infused olive oil.  Any ideas I TRULY would appreciate.

Tiss
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

t-rock wrote: I am thinking about mixing it with herbs, dredging chicken breasts in it after dipping in egg white and sauteeing in garlic infused olive oil.  Any ideas I TRULY would appreciate.

you absolutely can do that...i do that using chickpea flour.....i coat chicken and i also use it as a filler for meatballs......
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

If you do a search for "popcorn flour" you'll find some suggestions and recipes.....

Breading fried green tomatoes...

In place of Wasa in Neet's meatloaf (per RT)

LDL Matzoh ball soup

Some crazy person posted a suggestion for Popcorn Porridge  :wacko:

Next time I make "beatato cakes" I'm going to add some popcorn flour and an egg to make them hold together better...haven't tried it yet.

Here's a whole thread with recipes from someone who I guess is no longer around...some may not be TOTALLY LDL friendly, since we've learned a lot in the last few years, but they're interesting to read:  (ppsssstt....where's Tress?)

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index ... 391366#new

I think you'll find some fun things to try.
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

OMG greenheron, thank you sOoooooo much for that link
that should be posted for everyone that wants/mentions wraps* second recipe tress's pancake recipe she notes she uses them for wraps also*

Tiss whatcha gonna try and I am gonna try them cookies for my boiz  *evil*
:drool:
patsyfay
Master Member

Post by patsyfay »

If you store your popcorn flour in freezer bags and put them in the freezer it will last indefinitely.  Ready to use whenever you need it.

Pat
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Jazmyn
Master Member

Post by Jazmyn »

Thank you for that link!!! I am going to give it a try and see what happens!

~Jazmyn  *love*
Start Date 5/18/09
6/18/09 ~ 13lbs gone
7/18/09 ~ 5lbs gone
8/18/09 ~ 7lbs gone
9/18/09 ~ 6lbs gone
10/18/09 ~ 4lbs gone
11/18/09 ~ 2lbs gone
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

I just ground 3 qts of popcorn flour and stuck in the freezer, my son is looking at me like Ive REALLY lost my mind  *evil*
I so cannot wait to do some of these recipes, even tho my son is NOT fully on LDL he has lost weight by my sneaks and tweaks  *evil*  LilMary is rubbin off on me  ;D
chipmunk

Post by chipmunk »

I just ate lunch and I wanted crab cakes so I pop popcorn ground it spiced and breaded the crab in it cooked in olive oil boy they were good ..then I started reading post and here you are  talking about popcorn flour so I got to get my two cents in It's great...1 month LDL and haven't tried the flour yet :sad: I should of tried to work with it sooner. :rose:NOW I KNOW I CAN FREEZE IT TOO. :rose: :rose:
t-rock
Master Member

Post by t-rock »

Thanks ladies for the great tips !  Trish, thank you for saying such nice things about my recipes !!!!I think I am going to try pounding some chicken breasts flat, dipping them in some eggwhite and then mixing the popcorn flour with garlic powder, a little ff parm, and some herbs, coat the chicken, and saute in olive oil.  Will serve it over an arugula or spinach salad with dried berries and a little bit of light goat cheese.  The crabcakes also sound really good, so I may try those too, and make some sort of roasted pepper bean sauce for them.....WE SHALL SEE ! 

This is so much fun !

Thanks again.

Tiss 
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

I love the popcorn flour for making fried green tomatoes they are so amazing!! My mouth is watering right now!!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
t-rock
Master Member

Post by t-rock »

Hi Tina:

I hear fried green tomatoes and I think of the movie !  I have to admit I have never eaten a fried green tomatoe.  First I need to find a green tomato near San Diego !  Read your post about the doctor...fantastic.  GO GIRL !

Tiss
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Oh Tiss I can't believe you haven't had a fried green tomato!! If you find some just make sure you cut them allot thinner than what they do on the movie, their not good like that! I don't think someone from the South taught them in the movie how to cook them cause they are not supposed to be that thick. At the actual Whistle Stop Cafe where they filmed the movie, they cook them thick like that and when I had them they were not very good! Most southern people cook them thin, not really thick.

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

:shock: Ooooooo myyyyy Tiss, my sympathies to you  *hug* the experience of a fried green tomatoe is heavenly  :drool: should you not find one, plant  a tomatoe plant , you WONT BE SORRY  :inlove:
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

Tiss, my sympathies to you  hug the experience of a fried green tomatoe is heavenly  drool should you not find one, plant  a tomatoe plant , you WONT BE SORRY  inlove

No you will not be sorry!!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
vleller

Post by vleller »

I made popcorn flour yesterday and it was a hoot!  That stuff is like the styrofoam peanuts that like to float around clinging to everything.  I used a long rubber spatula to try to guide it out of the blender into the baggie.  Interesting operation to say the least.  The blender did great on pulverizing it into a very fine powder.  Next is to cook something. . .I'm thinking maybe pancakes or waffles this weekend.

Lynn
Lynn
mrsj
Master Member

Post by mrsj »

Apparently I'm missing something as I've never had a fried green tomato either.  Will someone cook one for me to try then I'll know if I want to hunt down green tomatoes. :rolleyes:
lazy mrsj
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

mrsjudo wrote:Apparently I'm missing something as I've never had a fried green tomato either.  Will someone cook one for me to try then I'll know if I want to hunt down green tomatoes. :rolleyes:
lazy mrsj

mrs j you come on down here and I will fry you up a whole mess of them!  hehe  ;D

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by mrsj »

Oh thank you LP for the wonderfully tempting offer!  You are a sweetheart!
I was looking up the directions for "down here" and what do you know.......from Sarasota, FL I would have to travel "up there".  I knew you were an angel. :angel:
Hugs,
mrsj
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

wheeeeeeelllllllllll I would love ta and you would have to come up here too but I am comin down there in a coupla dayz  :kiss: