NEW MEMBER WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DIET

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
therapy85

NEW MEMBER WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DIET

Post by therapy85 »

I read the book, and I am confused. First it says eat all the calories and carbs, and then throughout the book you read that so many things are limited. No fats, sugars dairy products, etc. < so what is the right thing. Does it just say eat what ever you want, so people will buy the book? I am confused, and would love to hear back from those people who have a better understanding of this plan. Thanks very much, and look forward to hearing your responses...
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Re: NEW MEMBER WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DIET

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi therapy,

It is suggested you read the food plan portion of the book at least three times so that you can understand it.  The book says you can eat all of the calories and GOOD carbs allowed on this food plan.  We don't eat sugar on this plan, nor do we eat any potatoes, white bread, pasta or white rice.  The book does NOT say you can eat whatever you want.  It says you can eat all you want of LDL acceptable foods.  The LDL foods INCLUDE many many WHOLE carb foods such as beans, peas, corn and fruit etc. 

I am on LDL for the second time because I made some bad choices and started eating the old way again.  And guess what?  ALL of the weight came back.  But I can tell you without reservation that I lost 85 pounds on this plan and it works. 

And just as a point of interest to you.  No, the book doesn't say you can eat whatever you want so people will buy the book.  (What the book actually says is that you can eat all you want of the LDL foods which is totally true.)  Roger Troy Wilson doesn't take one penny of profit from this book.  ALL the profits go to cancer and heart disease research.  I do hope you stick around long enough to get to know Roger and some of the other LDL members.  You will never meet a more supportive and loving group of people.  You will also never meet a man with anymore courage, dignity and strength of character than Roger Wilson. 

Welcome to LDL and welcome aboard the train to skinnytown!  :)

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by therapy85 »

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am going to give it a try. It looks like a great plan.
laurawhite1026
New, but learning

Post by laurawhite1026 »

:D  hello...I just want to say this is the BEST plan I have ever done and have no cravings for anything not on LDL plan.  I am not drinking any diet sodas, which is weird for me to say....I use to drink a 2 liter bottle of diet coke everyday, sometimes more, it was diet but not really good for me or my body and maybe lead to some of the cravings.  I am happy that this is a plan I feel like I can continue on and not just another diet....

Good luck and keep coming to these boards with questions or just support....everyone is AWESOME.....

Laura
therapy85

Post by therapy85 »

Thank you Laura, I feel encouraged by reading your post.
t-rock
Master Member

Post by t-rock »

Hi Therapy85:

I am also new, just under two weeks in.  I have definitely dropped a little weight but I committed to hiding the scale for one month so I don't know, my guess is about five pounds.   I found this program in the First magazine, and it made sense to me on many levels.  One, everything that is recommended to eat is not processed or refined, so that in itself is good.  Second, the program recommends very limited dairy that is fat free or low fat, and I have read  a lot of research (except for high fat low carb plans that I am pretty sure a lot of us would attest are not sustainable) that questions why we eat/drink products that make baby cows fat and how we are the only species who still drink dairy after we are weened, which if you think about it, is a legitimate question.  Three, the idea of eating the biggest meal at lunch and no heavy protein at dinner is consistent with what the medical community suggests.  I once sat next to a man on a plane  who told me that he had lost 85 pounds not eating after 4, and, my husband's doctor just suggested he not eat after six.  The point is, LDL suggests lighter meals in the evening, which makes sense for the body.   If you were to remove meat, this would not be too far off from a vegan program, and I saw one of my co-workers go vegan for his diabetes, lose 100 pounds in a year, and now be in optimum health per his doctor.  He is now switching to LDL because he can have lean protein.  What I am learning is that I am eating within a set of guidelines that could not possibly be considered harmful to the body, and loving every minute of it.  As someone who loves to cook because I enjoy creating new and innovative things with fresh and unique ingredients, this program works with just the slightest of modifications.  On the other hand, if I were someone who had a soft spot for burgers and fries and mashed potatoes, there are LDL alternatives to these things as well, and if you read the message boards, they are favorites of many of the people here.  The other thing that you will find is this site is without question the most supportive, amazing community I have ever encountered.  I am quickly feeling more connected to some of these people than I do to my friends on Facebook-and those are people I have actually known for a long time !  

I am sure any questions you have will be answered by both the LDL professionals and the rest of us.  

Best,

Tiss
Last edited by Anonymous on June 8th, 2009, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
docsal
New, but learning

Post by docsal »

hi guys, i am new also and just wondering about how long it takes to start seeing weight loss? i am having kind of a rocky start. I am really addicted to breads and actually found myself eating a pretzel with veggie cheese on it last night. i am also NOT a fan of sweets, oddly enough, so I am having a time trying to choke down all the fruits. I DO gravitate toward more tart and bitter fruits better, so I am trying to keep to them. I also have NO interest in eating breakfast, but over the last 2 days have noted that I am actually a little hungry when I wake up. My blood sugar seems to be staying fairy stable and has not gone over 100 yet. Which is a miracle. I have insulin resistance, so I find that when I am in mid afternoon at work (around 4) I need some kind of snack to keep going or I start trying to nod off. I dont think too many of you would like it if you went to see the doctor and she sat there and nodded off the entire time of your visit. SO, any feed back or comments will be welcome. I do feel better. I am starting to feel more energized, just having the fall out in the afternoon after the protein lunch. I am happy to be here guys. I am feeling really great knowing that you are all here to encourage me and that you are willing to share yourself with us so we can encourage you. This is amazing. Sal
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Hi, Sal,

If you don't have a sweet tooth, you don't really need to eat a lot of fruit.  It's recommended that you start your day with a little, because it nicely jumpstarts your metabolism for the day, but if you aren't suffering from sweet cravings, just a little should work for you just fine.  Breakfast is important, though, because it will HELP you to WANT a big lunch.  I know I've always been much hungrier at lunch if I ate breakfast.

You say that you've been addicted to breads...that means that you need BEANS.  Eat plenty of beans blended in soup, blended in a fruit smoothie if you're having them, eaten whole in salads, made into "faux" potato salad, eaten as hummus with Corn Thins, refried with eggs on top, chick peas straight out of hand....if you fill yourself with the starchiness of beans, you will overcome your cravings for bread.  It sounds crazy, but you can read here on the boards over and over and over that it works.  It will work for you, too. OH, and popcorn, too....crunchy, savory popcorn will also quell those bread cravings.

As a busy doc, are you able to get a decent-sized lunch?  It'll help, if you can eat plenty of food at lunchtime.  And if you still need that afternoon snack, by all means, do!  Veggies and hummus, or a cup of mushroom soup, or corn thins with refried beans, or a serving of brown bag popcorn.  Those are all fine choices for breakfast, too, after you've started with a bit of fruit.

As for how long it takes to see weight loss, that is going to depend on how much you have to lose.  If you're carrying around an extra 100 pounds or more, initial weight should come off quite quickly.  Your last 20 pounds will be slower to leave. 

BUT.  What you really need to do is enjoy the food, enjoy your energy level, enjoy knowing you are eating healthy and let the weight loss happen on its own.  Some members here are losing sizes without losing weight.  Others are not seeing weight loss for a while, as their metabolism adjusts to the new foods they're eating.  But in the long run, the food (and your health) is the important thing...the weight loss will happen as a result.
docsal
New, but learning

Post by docsal »

GreenHeron, Thank you for the much needed advice. It is a blessing to have this site to bounce ideas off of each other. I have been feeling really good since starting the program. Not too much deviation either, doing really well with that part. It is so amazing that you mention chick peas. I was wondering about that because my ideal lunch is HUMMUS. I love hummus so much. I also love beans, all kinds. Today is the best day I have had yet. I ate 1/4 of watermelon for breakfast, then I was not hungry until lunch and was able to go to the whole foods market for lunch and they made me a burger with LFcheese and mushrooms on a bed of field greens and raw spinach,(no bread) and I had a small bit of corn sauteed with tomato and peppers as a side and water. tonight i have meetings after work and got my dinner at WFM while i was there so i am having pineapple, strawberrries and watermelon and edamame/bean salad. I also found some really neat frozen treats. As I said I am not a big sweetie, however these are pretty good and very small in portion size so that means I can eat one fast and it satisfies my need for something cold (i live in the deep south and it is HOT). These treats are raspberry puree/raspberry juice/agave nectar light/70 calories, no cane sugars, no gluten, no dairy, no fats, etc. they are about the size of a medium egg on a small stick. so i have had 2 of those this week. I am getting ready to ramp up on the beans. What is a corn thin? I found some corn things that may be like a corn thin that I am using right now. They are so thin that they are like paper. They fracture easily. The ingredients are Organic Corn, Corn Oil and Sea Salt. No gluten, no transfats, etc, etc. As you can tell I am a huge lable reader.... LOL..I am usually able to get a good lunch, even if we have to eat out. I think my big problems were eating breakfast when I was not hungry and then getting home after 8 pm and trying to figure out something to eat at all. I used to either eat something really fast that could be nuked or just eat a bowl of cereal or some other poor choice like grab something fast on the way home so i didnt have to cook that late at night. So, fruit or raw veggies at night will totally work for me, easily. Popcorn with olive oil is the most amazing thing i have tried yet. I tried the frozen grapes last night and i actually ate 5 of them. they are pretty good too. i may use them as my cool down treat instead of the raspberry things. so, in a small paragraph, you managed to help me a TON.... Thanks again for the great advice. Please keep in touch. Just because I am a doctor doesnt mean i know everything and does not mean by any means that I intend to reinvent the perfect wheel that Roger Troy has made... LOL... Have a great day.. Sal
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Hi, Sal,

You're off to a WONDERFUL start! 

I never used to eat breakfast...it would make me ravenous at lunch!  But now I know that it's important to get my metabolism revved up and then I won't make bad choices later in the day.

Whole Foods has some really tasty choices for someone like you...you made a great choice with your burger and veggies and fruit.  They always have the prettiest fresh fruit in nice carryout containers...for half a weeks' salary ;) !  But it's the perfect choice if you're a grab and go eater.

Their salad bar is BEAUTIFUL, too...just try to limit the higher fat/oil items, and stay away from quinoa, tabbouleh, risotto, couscous, pasta etc. 

I think your corn thins ARE the right ones...  Real Foods corn thins...see packages here:  www.cornthins.com .  I buy mine at Whole Foods, too.  I'm lucky I can...many people here have to order theirs online.  Just make sure you're sticking with Original or Lemon Pepper...the others have grains or seeds that aren't LDL friendly.

Corn Thins are great dippers for hummus!  But, beware that most commercial hummus contains tahini...sesame paste...and seeds, even those tiny ones, aren't LDL compliant.  Look for a hummus without tahini, or make your own.  http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/index.php?topic=220.0

Your frozen fruit treats sound tasty...finish 'em up. ;)  Agave nectar is just sugar, and therefore not legal.  If you've got a small food processor, throw a few frozen strawberries in with a splash of orange juice, blend until smooth and enjoy it with a spoon.  Or, scoop it into a small tub, stick in a popsicle stick, freeze, and enjoy a legal frozen fruity bar. 

You're doing great!  Glad you've joined us!
stoney1959

Post by stoney1959 »

im new to the diet 2 and im confused as well i have read the chapters like6 times and i still am unsure about what to do as far as dinner if im not full after the fruit :)
scottishgrlgs
New, but learning

Post by scottishgrlgs »

I just finished reading the book and have been on LDL for a few days now. I know I need to read it again, just have some questions. I am a vegetarian, I eat no meat. I was eating morning star veggie burgers and veggie links but I can't eat them on this program :(  I have been eating alot of fruit in the morning which seems to keep me feeling full. I was wondering if eating a half of a can of refried beans for lunch which I did was to much beans? I was full and didn't eat anything else with the beans for lunch. I see some people write they eat several things for lunch which seems like alot of food. Should I be eating more? Can you eat boiled eggs also for dinner/lunch?  If so how many eggs can you eat? Are you able to eat shrimp? If there are any vegetarians out there :) maybe you can share some of your menus with me, I'm not that creative and I want to make this program work for me. Today for breakfast I ate alot of fruit and for lunch at work I had a salad then came home and made a smootie for dinner. If you have a fruit smoothie for dinner can you still eat fruit if you want something else with the drink? Sorry so many questions. Thanks for your help. Gail
Gail
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Stoney, when you're just starting out, you can and should have any LDL approved food, whenever you want to fill yourself up.  A little later on, when your cravings are under control and you naturally start eating less, then start your supper with fruit, and if you want something else, have a cup of LDL approved soup without meat in it, or a serving of popcorn, or a couple Corn Thins with hummus or Polaner All Fruit jam or some veggies.  My favorite supper is a nice bowl of frozen corn, microwaved, with a good sprinkling of salt.  If someone told me a few months ago I'd be eating frozen corn with no butter, I would not have believed them.

scottishgrlgs, there are vegetarians here, and I hope someone else will chime in. 

If you do a little searching on the internet, you can find recipes for making your own veggie burgers that are full of LDL acceptible ingredients.  Don't hesitate to eat all the beans your little heart desires.  Eggs are fine, too.  They're considered light protein, like beans, so you can have them at any meal.  You'll need to monitor your own progress, and after you're a couple weeks into LDL, you might want to limit eggs to a couple a day.  You might enjoy a nice bed of refried beans with a fried egg or two on top, maybe with a little salsa or taco sauce on top.  Are you lacto-ovo?  A little FF or LF cheese on top is a nice addition, too.  Shrimp is fine!  Any fish or seafood is.  Heavier, oilier "steak fish" is considered a heavy protein and should be eaten at lunch.  At supper, after your smoothie, if you're still hungry, have popcorn, or soup, or any of the other suggestions I gave Stoney.  Or, more fruit!  We love fruit! 

Good luck to both of you, and welcome!
docsal
New, but learning

Post by docsal »

wow, that is so amazing. so i am doing better than i thought i was doing. okay. so no agave (harsh) I like a small amount of the agave light in my rare coffee and if i dont have any agave i take some honey. sometimes i put a little honey in tea (hot tea). I will check it out. I like xylitol but i really hate stevia. it is so gross to me. no matter what i do i just cant stomach it. if that is the only choice in front of me for tea, i just do without. i mostly do without anyway, but sometimes i just like a little in the tea (nectar or honey). anyway, that is a great idea to make our own popsicles. that sounds great. i have a jack lalane juicer and could whip up some really groovy popsicles on my own. this weekend was my son's birthday and we fell out a little. ONLY not as bad as we used to do in the past. We did have to have our meal in the evening because we charcoaled out and down here it is best to not do that in the heat of the day like say NOON... LOL.. we DID stick to the recipes for the burgers and then we grilled them outside on the George Forman grill. We had lots of beans. NO CHIPS or POTATO SALAD. We did have a small amount of bread and a little cake. I really have to say that the burgers are so delicious. ALSO, i found that since i ate a good bit of beans and the burgers, i didnt want the bread and I didnt eat even half of my peice of cake. This is so unusual for me. I would have done so much more damage in the past. SO, we (my son and I) DID plan for this event and DID load up on fruits, salad and other great veggies for lunch and breakfast and then right before we went to the party we ate some watermelon. Then when we got there, we DID participate wtih our family and we did stay as close as possible to the plan. I am happy as heck with this. I know that once we become more accustomed to the plan and are seeing more results and getting better with our choices that when the next event comes up we will do even BETTER than this time. SO, we are on our way. Thanks again for all the really great help and encouragement!!  *love*Doc Sal
greenheron

Post by greenheron »

Nice job with the bread/cake, Sal....you ate a little, didn't let it take over your evening, planned ahead, and were happy with your choices.  Next time you'll probably say, "You know what...I just don't want the bread or the cake."  It happens, strange as it seems.

Have you tried Splenda?  I'm presuming if you've tried Stevia then at some time you've had Splenda.  It's acceptable as a sweetener, too.  Perhaps you're trying to stick with more natural products since you shop at Whole Foods etc.  I can understand that...I just love Splenda...a little on cut fruit, in my iced tea or hot tea.  Any artificial sweetener can be icky if you overdo it, and even though I am very sensitive to the taste of saccharine, I don't have any trouble with Splenda at all.

Another choice for you might be Erythritol.  This evening at Whole Foods, I saw that they had several sweeteners on the shelf with E. as their main ingredient.  Erythritol is a sugar alcohol, so it's not recognized as sugar by the body, won't raise blood sugar, and can  be used in a variety of products.  Unlike most sugar alcohols, E. doesn't have the cooling effect on the tongue that, say, Sorbitol has. You know how sugar-free gum or mints always make you feel minty even if they're not mint flavored?  That's the cooling effect I'm talking about...it's not great in some foods, and E. doesn't do that.  An additional benefit of sugar alcohols over other artificial sweeteners is that they DO add bulk...they add the "mouth feel" texture you get with sugar, which is why they can make hard candy and caramels from sugar alcohols.  Granted, most of those will send you heading to the toilette if you have too many, but Erythritol does NOT have that same GI effect, so it's the best SA on the market.

And thanks for reminding me...I need to get a jar of fridge tea going overnight...WAY better than sun tea, cause it stays fresh a whole lot longer.