"First" magazine...did the article (and God) bring you here?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
greenheron

"First" magazine...did the article (and God) bring you here?

Post by greenheron »

I've been impressed by how many people have joined the board after reading the First magazine article, and how many people mentioned that they don't regularly buy "First" but they felt that God had led them to get it, or that someone bought it for them.  I'm quite moved (although not exactly surprised) at how many people felt that God had a hand in them finding LDL.  I mentioned this to my mother, and I started wondering how many of our new members this might describe.

I have two requests:

If you're someone who joined us because of the article, especially if you have never read First magazine before, will you please post a short note about what brought you here?  Even if you posted the information elsewhere on the board, I think it would be nice to see that data all together in this thread.  If someone else bought you the magazine, or someone else who read the magazine passed it along to you, please tell us about it.

****Lurkers!  You know who you are....there are dozens and dozens of you who are reading, learning, hopefully trying LDL.  Even if you don't want to post regularly, will you add a short note if you fit this topic?

My other request:  please don't chime in with responses to these posts (except this first one ;) ) so that they stand alone, and we all can read post after post of the amazing phenomenon that First magazine helped create.  We'll all be happy to give you high fives and advice and atta girls (and boys) on other threads.  

Thank you for reading, and thanks for your responses!

Editing to bump this once...thanks for all the responses so far!  Roger Troy responded, but his disappeared?  :pouty:  I'm sure the "ripples in the pond" from the First article are still spreading.  Right, Gem? 
Last edited by greenheron on June 16th, 2009, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhonda in SGF

Re: "First" magazine...did the article (and God) bring you here?

Post by Rhonda in SGF »

A friend told me about the First article.  I would probably never have seen or known about it without her telling me to buy the magazine. Because I believe the June 1st issue was my very first purchased issue and only because of the LDL article.

Rhonda
lakelady71

Post by lakelady71 »

:thumbsup: I subscribe to First and had looked through the magazine when I received it, but didn't really go over the LDL article that good.  But Sun. morning at Mass I prayed that God would help me to lose some weight by strengthening my will power.  It seems like I have good intentions and start a "diet" every Mon. and then about Wed. or Thurs. it's back to the old eating habits again.  So Monday morning I was going thru some of my magazines to see which diet I was going to try this week and there it was......and the more I read about it and the more recipes I sample, the more I truly believe that this was God's way of answering my prayer. 

As I said, I've tried a lot of different diets and know how I should eat, but it always gets so boring.  LDL, I think, is a "lifestyle" that I can stick to.  And with God right beside all the way, I just know I'll have this extra weight off in no time.  Stay tuned...........

lakelady71
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weNsGG2/]
Shera

Post by Shera »

Yes, I am here because I saw the First magazine while I was in line at the grocery store with my daughter.
She was commenting on how expensive some of the magazines are nowadays and so I was looking at the prices and came across the LDL article. I usually never buy magazines but something about LDL made an impression on me and I bought the mag.
I found this site and ordered my book the next day. My daughter and I are both learning to follow LDL and I know that I am feeling better after only 5 days of eating this way.

Sheral
Last edited by Shera on June 9th, 2009, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

I occasionally buy First magazine -- once, maybe twice a year. There is always a "diet" story on the cover, which sometimes attracts my attention, but this one grabbed me for "some reason." When I got home and read it, so many things resonated as being so true and practical, but I had never put them together in this way for myself. I searched a little online, found this site, and ordered the book. That was about 4 weeks ago, I guess, and I haven't wanted to look back since then.

Thank God for Roger Troy's personal experience, and his dedication to putting it in print to help so many others!

Terri
Cocomoe
New, but learning

Post by Cocomoe »

I occasionally buy First magazine...maybe 4-6 times a year.  I read the LDL article and thought it sounded reasonable, and something I could do without too much trouble.  After getting on line to find out some more information about the plan I came across this message board.  This is also my first experience with message boards.  It all just seemed to fall into place.

I do believe it was more than just a fluke that it happened the way that it did.  I've been praying for something to get me motivated and eating better.  Not just another fad diet.  I think this is something that I can do forever...and be happy doing it.

Take Care,
Cocomoe
dclb1988

Post by dclb1988 »

I too read about LDL in First Magazine which I purchase every now and then because the price fits into my budget for a magazine and they always seem to have good articles.  I was so excited when I read the article about LDL, I went to Borders the next day and found the book (albeit not a copy on the shelve because they were out but they found me a copy in a new shipment) which I take with me everywhere.  I have been following this plan for 7 days now and can already tell a difference.  I have eaten more fruit in the past week then I had all of last year.  My sugar cravings are gone.  The concept of eating your large protein meal at lunch has always been in the back of my mind as making perfect sense so I felt that this was the right "lifestyle" change for me.  I love reading all of the posts as they are a huge inspiration to me.  Thank you to everyone and please keep them coming!
Basket Lady

Post by Basket Lady »

I used to subscribe to First and always enjoyed it, but let the subscription run out as I just don't have the time to read magazines anymore.  I happened to be in WalMart buying up about $$$$$$ worth of "fat" and saw First.  For whatever reason I was drawn to that magazine at the checkout counter and threw it in the basket. 

Now that morning I was looking in the mirror and was so depressed about how I looked that I said a prayer and asked God to help me get healthy.

Later that day I pulled it out and started to thumb through and ran across the LDL article.  Once I read it, I read it again and started to cry.... I knew at that moment that God answered my prayer.  He put that article in that magazine, and then He led me to buy it because he knew it was time for me to change my life.  He knew that at no other time in my life would I have been prepared or ready to share Roger Troy's blessings.

And I have never been to any site or around any group of people that have as much faith in God as the people I have encountered here. 

I, for one, am a true believer that God is holding my hand every step of my LDL path!  He does work in mysterious ways you know! 
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wZlJ3yw/]
electricj1316
Master Member

Post by electricj1316 »

I had never read First Magazine before and neither had my mom but she saw it in the grocery store and it caught her eye. She read the article and told me about it and I read it the next day. That night I ordered it for us and here we are. There is no doubt in our minds that God brought us here!! God is so great!!

Tina
Tina

Jason
Mattie
t-rock
Master Member

Post by t-rock »

Hi Greenheron:

I am here because of the First article.  I was in the San Diego airport headed out on business. I bought six magazines, including Shape, Architectural Digest, Cooking Light, Food and Wine, Martha Stewart Living, and Marie Clare.  When I walked up to the counter to pay, the woman said I qualified for a free magazine, anyone I wanted.  I looked through the rack and just as I was about to grab a Harper's Bizarre, I saw the First Magazine.  I had neither notice a First Magazine nor purchased one, ever before.  I saw the cover and flipped to the article.  It sounded logical, so I bought the magazine and probably read that article six times in my hotel room over that week.  I don't know what brought me here, I am just really glad I am here, because this is something I can live with and have decided to "put it to the test" for six months, without modifications and minimal cheating (cheating for me is typically red wine).  I think that Roger Troy Wilson is an amazing human being who I believe is some sort of Saint.  I am here to stay.

Peace.

Tiss
uknowme

Post by uknowme »

I had asked God to help me back in the winter and never felt that he heard me despite my constant prayer to help with my weight.  I kept telling myself this would come in God's time, as all things do.  I have never purchased First magazine and seldom purchase any magazine to be honest.  I was in the checkout and I just HAD to buy it.  I ordered my book that day and when I read it I knew, it was an answer to my prayers.  The weight loss will take time but its ok, God is with me.
Mynx

Post by Mynx »

I've bought First magazine quite a number of times but never tried any of the diets. However two times I felt drawn to buy it recently and try whatever diet was in it. First was the eat clean diet which is actually very close to LDL. And the second was the LDL issue. I had bought a bunch of the diet books for eating clean and started it somewhat but have been so busy and there is more to following it than LDL. I started LDL right away after reading the magazine and visiting the site, have been on it since.

I recently joined a church and do feel I was drawn to this program.

I think after I get off the weight I want to I will be continuing LDL for life but expanding it a little with the eating clean principles. I have no doubt that it has greatly changed my course and destination in life. I am very greatful for Roger, everyone on the forums and for God's direction.
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I bought the magazine.  I often buy magazines with diet articles and read them cover to cover.  Then I don't ever really get started on the diets.  One other time I followed a low carb diet in a magazine and it turned out to be a not so healthy diet.  Plus, all I did was crave fruit while on it!  I dropped a lot of weight while on that diet, 40 pounds.  I also made a lot of good friends on the boards for that diet.  But, I gained most of the weight back and still found myself buying the magazines with diet articles.  However, someting made me start this one and I am glad I did.  This one is so much better for you and I get to eat all the fruit I want!  Do I think God had a hand in all this?  Absolutely....He guides me in all ways...if only I would be a better listener!  :D 
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
vleller

Post by vleller »

I have a subscription to First magazine.  It has good hints for many aspects of your life, . . .cleaning, fashion, health, etc.  It also has a "diet of the issue" - some of which I've tried - though some sound too outrageous and complicated.  But LDL caught my attention as I had also been praying for help to get healthy.  I am borderline pre-diabetic with other health issues I needed to manage.  RT's words and philosophy rang so heartfelt, that I immediately went to the library to check out the book.  Some days are still a struggle, but overall, it's not a hard plan to follow.  God put the article in front of my face to read and the contacts to find help.  It's up to me to follow thru with His guidance and all y'all's help with questions/answers to ease this weight-loss journey.  Together, we can all succeed!  :thumbsup:

Lynn
Lynn
mamavan

Post by mamavan »

I read First and Woman's Day magazines several times throughout the year. I hadn't bought either of them in months and for whatever reason while standing in line at a local store I picked First up b/c the headline "LOSE 12 LBS. IN A WEEK" caught my eye and I figured I'd have a good laugh at another ridiculous diet. I don't know why, after reading the article, there seemed to be something different. Divine intervention? I knew the "whole" picture was not given in the article and knew that I needed to purchase the book to get the full story. I went online to every book store, department store, etc. and the book was sold out and/or backordered for weeks. I had a gift card to a book store so I ordered it knowing it's going to be 4-8 weeks b/f receiving it (if then). I found the LDL website, registered and have been following the plan as best I can w/o the book and I have not felt this good in 20 years! Needless to say I was very frustrated knowing I won't get the book for weeks...so I ordered it through the LDL site and it should be here shortly. I'll return the other to the bookstore when it arrives. Or better yet, I'll pass it on to someone who can benefit from it the way I have. I believe this is the tiny miracle we've all been looking for.  *love*
lizzie67
New, but learning

Post by lizzie67 »

If I go to the grocery store, I pick up a First magazine and a Women's Day....inevitably they say something about "lose 30 pounds this week", so I always read it to see if anything makes sense!!  Something finally made Perfect sense!!!
God is present in all that I do...God was present with me when I started this journey, and He has made it easier.  God has blessed me with so many gifts that it would be irreverent to not acknowledge Him.
[glow=red,2,300]Blessings and peace...[/glow]Lizzie *love*
Through Christ, who strengthens me, all things are possible
DDuly

Post by DDuly »

Hello everyone,

I have been 'lurking' for several weeks reading everyone's helpful posts.  I also rarely purchase First magazine and just reached for it as I was checking out at Publix.  Started LDL 10 days ago and have lost 5 pounds  :).  My poor body has been abused by yo-yo dieting for years and now it is extremely difficult to lose any weight at all so I am thrilled at this weight loss.  I feel great, not hungry at all, and am wondering if this is to good to be true.  I've got a long way to go yet but I feel very strongly that this may be the eating program that will work for me. Thank you Roger!!
Country Girl

Post by Country Girl »

Hi!  This is my "first" post and it seemed appropriate because of the topic!  I usually read First magazine a couple of times a year.  However, it had been some time since I had picked one up.  My daughter found it and told me about the article.  I immediately went out and picked one up.  I have been trying to do the diet for about two weeks.  My book should arrive any day now and I can't wait to get it.  I have learned so much from these posts.  Everyone is so friendly and helpful.  I do believe the Lord led me to this article and this website.  I have shared the program with my mom and she is jumping on board, too!  I'm looking forward to this journey.  Thanks for all your good info and posts!  :)

Lou
MsHeirloom
Master Member

Post by MsHeirloom »

I have purchased 10-12 issues of First over the years, usually because I'm sucked in by the current diet promoted in the issue.  I wasn't thinking of starting a "diet", however somehow, the magazine made it's way into my cart.  So I guess the Plan found me.  I followed reading with an internet search, found the website, bought into the ideas presented, ordered the book and recipe cards, and the rest is history!  Day 16!!!!!  I am so thankful that the Plan has finally made its way to "the masses"!  My only regret is not finding it sooner.  I love the foods and feel confident.  Pam
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

I subscribe to First magazine and always read about the diet that they are featuring that edition. There was something about what I read about LDL that just made sense to me. I thought, wow, can I really eat all of those carbs and still lose weight?

Still I read and read some more on these boards for 2-3 weeks before I made the committment and ordered the new book.  I received an e-mail  that my book had been shipped so I tracked it and found out that I should receive it on Monday June 8th.  I  felt that I had learned enough from the boards to start so I went grocery shopping and stared the same day I received the book.

I have read the book several times, highlighted and underlined things to help me in the future. I really feel like Roger, that this is a gift from God!
My goal now is to get my body,which is a temple of God, back in the shape that it is meant to be.

Martha