Having a Little Difficulty

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
ginney

Having a Little Difficulty

Post by ginney »

Hello, I finally got back from Florida, for the second time, down to help take care of my mom, who finally got out of rehab and is now at my brother's beach house.
I did lose 7 pounds on LDL, but have found myself sliding in the wrong direction since my last trip to Florida.  I came home on Wednesday, exhausted, my oldest daughter had a graduation party at my house for her son, and I ate some things I should not have.
While in Florida, I walked the beach for an hour every morning when I got up, that was so relaxing and peaceful, but the rest of the days were hectic and stressful, I really tried hard for the first few days but as days passed, I became more exhausted and stressed, I found myself not worrying about what or when I was eating and just ate whatever.
I am really down right now, feeling another failure of not being able to stick to something that makes me feel so much better.  What can I do, any suggestions? 
I am up now because I can't sleep and I am trying to figure out a menu for the week.  Sometimes I just feel there is so much drama in my life, I don't have time to sit and worry about me. 
I have my hubby, five daughters and eighteen grandchildren, yes, I said eighteen.  There are personal things going on with some of the daughters, and the grandchildren and my husband and I are always helping out in some form or another, like we should and want to, but we seem to always put ourselves on the back burner because of something that is going on. 
I don't want you to think I am a "whiner" because I'm not, I just really want to do this for me, so I feel better physically and mentally about myself.
Going to continue on now, looking thru the menus and the journals to get some ideas for the week and get started again in the morning. 
I keep praying to God to put me in the right direction.  Thanks for listening, and God Bless.    :sad:
turkkm
Master Member

Re: Having a Little Difficulty

Post by turkkm »

Ginney, I will pray for some guidance and peace for you tonight.  I have had a lot of personal trauma this past spring, so I feel for you.  Sometimes I am overwhelmed when I try to think of a week's worth of menus.  I like to be able to eat what I may have a taste for and not be locked into a menu I created several days to a week ago.  Try picking just a few recipes and making them ahead.  Then have other LDL foods available, like fruit, popcorn, etc.  Then I just plan 1 day at a time, from what I have available in the frig and from what I have made ahead.  When you are drinking your morning smoothie tomorrow, focus on this one simple good and healthy thing you are doing for yourself.  Even if the rest of your day goes haywire, you will have this one morning moment to savor.  Even if you goof, get right back on the train and keep coming here so you can get the support you need.  God bless!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
ginney

Post by ginney »

Thanks Kathie for your quick reply and I appreciate the prayer.  I love the smoothies and I do have all I need to make those.  I also picked up the things I need to make the chicken spinach soup I found on here for tomorrow's lunch.  Maybe I should try for a big salad as well to go with the soup.  Now, for my supper, I thought I was to stick with fruits, but I notice quite a few who eat more than just fruits.  I guess I need to get my book out and read again.  I am getting back on board and I really want to get to "Skinny Town", and with God's help and all his angels here on the message board I hope I can.  I like your idea about planning only a few days at a time.  Maybe if I do that I will eventually be able to do an entire week.  Thanks again.  I'll let you know how I make out.  God bless you..... :angel:
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

You can have other LDL foods with your fruit for dinner...just not protein.  So, while trying to get back on, and especially if you are hungry, eat something else too....beans of some sort would be great.  I am up late and couldn't sleep either.  Let's both get to bed!  :angel:  Have a good night!
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

ginney;
Alrighty now; just think of how many BAD food choices you would have without LDL. ?
You already know what bad choices you made in the past few days. What about the good choices you made? Did you do better than you would have last year?
Cut yourself some slack here.
Get some sleep.
Wake up and eat the next right thing...
You can do this.
NJ
Gemini the Younger

Post by Gemini the Younger »

EnJae wrote:ginney;
Alrighty now; just think of how many BAD food choices you would have without LDL. ?
You already know what bad choices you made in the past few days. What about the good choices you made? Did you do better than you would have last year?
Cut yourself some slack here.
Get some sleep.
Wake up and eat the next right thing...
You can do this.
NJ

NJ's giving you the real goods, Ginney.  Be patient with yourself.  Treat yourself with all the love, empathy and support you would give to a friend in the same situation as yours.  The most important thing here is, you didn't give up...you instinctively came back to the boards, where you knew you could get the help you need.  It's kind of like "Cheers" around here, isn't it?  Everybody knows your name and sometimes, that in and of itself, is enough.  You're special, you're known, and people care.

I joined LDL on May 20, 2009.  Something I learned early on is that trying to adapt to a different way of eating, and a different way of life, sometimes puts too much stress on all my senses.  It's pure sensory overload and it shuts down all my circuits.  I want to do this right.  I want to be perfect.  I want to lose weight.  I want to get healthy.  I want...I want...that loud obnoxious voice just keeps yammering away at me until I think I can't hang on a second longer.  But then, just when I'm about to lose all control, I recall His words:  Be still, and know that I am.  God has my back.  He has yours too, Ginney.  And so do we--all your friends at LDL, who are here to uplift and comfort you--and we're not above administering a good swift kick in the butt when it's warranted, either.   *evil*  Lean on us for a while.  Remember, you were the woman who, in her despair, was brave enough to give a name to her fears, and ask for help.  That makes you a heroine, to me.  You make me proud to share the boards with you.

Now for what I hope provides some practical help--at least this survival skill has saved my lunch, pun intended, many a day.  Most often a crisis is situational.  It explodes in our face and then it's gone.   But its intensity, or its "drama" as you call it, often blinds us and leaves us helpless to follow a rational course of action, no matter how capable or competent we usually are.  So the trick, at least for me, is to be able to put myself on auto pilot until I can gather my wits about me again.  To that end, I keep an LDL Survival Kit of non perishible foods in my pantry, instantly available in their big Rubbermaid box.  Jarred, canned, vacuum packed, dried fruits and vegetables, beans, popcorn, tuna, salmon, chicken...just like a jar of Ragu, it's all in there.  But the real beauty of this stash is that every item is an ingredient in simple menus I also keeped tucked into the emergency box.  Then, when the world comes crashing in, and I can't even remember my name, much less the LDL principles, all I have to do is reach into my rescue kit, pull out a recipe, assemble the makings, and then-tadaa--eat legal and delicious!  Of course, you have to remember to restock what you use--I usually keep at least three meals on hand--but it's well worth the trouble.

Now off to sleep with you...sweet dreams...  I will not fear the morning, for God is already there.

GEM...Booked on the

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Gemini the Younger on June 14th, 2009, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerzygrl09

Post by Jerzygrl09 »

Good Morning, Ginney - I hope today will be a better day for you. I totally empathized with your post. Take care of yourself first and the rest will fall into place. You'll be happier, stronger, and healthier to cope with life's demands. Best wishes and hang in there!!
niki
Administrator

Post by niki »

ginney wrote:I just really want to do this for me, so I feel better physically and mentally about myself.

OK, ginny...here's a subject i haven't brought up in a while....the things i do to get back..................first of all, i want to remind you guys that if you go off for a reason, the next day you should make a vat of bean soup and eat to your heart's content...LOADS OF BEANS............it's not a bad thing when you go back to square one......you have to treat yourself like you just started....roger says that you should eat any of the foods at any time......i'm telling you, though, that you should continue  that good format you had...lots of fruit for breakfast, a very lavish main meal and whatever you want for dinner...fruit and/or salad and/or bean soup...........i'm also going to tell you that if you WANT it, you SHOULD eat more protein until you've quieted the savage beasts that are your cravings popping up to torment you(ok....went a little dramatic on that.....hey....dramatic license)..........
i have regular sausage in my freezer(from costco)...when i need to get back, i'll make that sausage and 3 eggs and eat THAT until i'm stuffed......eating this once or twice usually does the trick......it was debbie who suggested to me that eating a lot of protein helps you get back.....plus, if you're out and you HAVE to make choices, it's better to choose a lot of protein or even something high in fat than unhealthy carbs because you might not lose weight that day but your blood sugars'll be in better shape.....
i'm a TERRIBLE junk food addict and even though when i first started on let's do lunch, i stayed strictly on for over a year and a half, once i started going off, it was like "the lost weekend" with ray milland(ANYONE remember that movie?).........need i say more?
do it, ginny.....you're not hurting anyone but yourself.....our children will have problems...hey WE'LL have problem..but, God only gave us this one body(JUST like sally fields says in her boniva commercial)and we have to do our best by it for it to work at optimum capacity....................i'm singing in church today.....the song(one that the Lord just gave me this past friday)is entitled "it's in the valley that i grow".....
one day at a time'll do it, ginny......i'm rootin for YOU....niki       
life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain..
ginney

Post by ginney »

Wow, you are all awesome....sweet  :angel: from God.  I am sitting here right now, eating the Hot Blueberry Pie, thanking God and reading all the replies back to me.  I must allow time each day to come here and just read all the unread posts since my last visit.  I have started a new notebook, one with all new phrases from everyone.  This is such an awesome "family".  I have the sunshine outside, a beautiful day, can see the yellow finch eating as my pond water flows with a relaxing sound and so thankful to God for it all.  I am truly blessed.  I will eat more protein for lunch, and I will add a soup with dinner, no protein, in addition to my fruits.
I will make this work.  I have an appointment with my oncologist on the 22nd.  I am not going to weigh myself here, I'll just wait to see what the scales have to say when I go for my appointment. 
We are going back to Florida on the 24th to bring my mom and dad home, praise God!!  We are driving down and I ask for prayers from everyone for our save trip to get them back to PA.  I will plan my meals for this trip and do better at staying legal. 
Thanks again for all the support and words that are helping me here right now.
God is Great!
casiedenman
New, but learning

Post by casiedenman »

Hi everyone..
I have some questions I still cant seem to get answered. Maybe I'm a little slower because I cant not figure it out.
1- how do i create a menu journal
2- can i eat beans at night even if i had for lunch.. and do i eat fruit first.. and then if hungry i can eat beans at night.IS this correct and if so for how long
3-Can i eat 2 tblsns of plain org yogurt in my beans?
an idea of what i have been doing every day
watermelon in the am
then between 13--3 i eat beans till full....
around 6 I am hungry again so I eat fruit... what else can i safely have? the book says no protein.. yet beans have protein..so i am confused.
4- if i eat like this when could i add peas, corn and beans?
Thanks so much for your help!!!
c
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Ginney, I am eating blueberry pie right now too.  *love*  *love*  *love* Praying for your success!
chipmunk

Post by chipmunk »

Ginny I will say a little prayer for you.. :rose:
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

Ginney:  saying a little prayer for you, and for success on ldl.  just remember when you first start to eat until you are full..  I know that even learning what full is can be a challenge in the beginning. 
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I think I have the hang of full...I had to eat 2 servings of the blueberry pie this morning, yum yum!  :shock:
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Ginny,

What everyone else has told you is true.  All excellent advice.  :)  Be kind to yourself and just keep moving forward.  One thing that I remember helps me when I am stressed and wanting to use food to medicate feelings is..

If it's not hunger, food won't fix it.  If it is hunger, then LDL baby!!

*Hugs*  I'm praying for you as well hon. 

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by Gemini the Younger »

LittlePrincess wrote:
If it's not hunger, food won't fix it.   If it is hunger, then LDL baby!!

I can see that printed on 4000 and change t-shirts for the Let's Do Lunch Bunch.  In the meantime, I'm borrowing your slogan for my next counted cross stitch project.  You rock, LP.  Thanks!

GEM...Booked on the

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

HI Ginny,

You have all the good advice you could possible need so I will just say - STAY with us. Keeping your body healthy with LDL will help you to respond to stress more easily.

*hug* *hug* *hug* *hug* *hug* *hug*

Prayers coming at you!
Julie  :rose:
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

If it's not hunger, food won't fix it.  If it is hunger, then LDL baby!!

Woo hoo, well said!
ginney

Post by ginney »

Great saying, it has gone in my journal.  Thanks to all for your support.