Butter Bean Cakes are mushy

The perfect touch to start OR complete your LDL meal!
zevacat
New, but learning

Butter Bean Cakes are mushy

Post by zevacat »

Are the butter bean cakes supposed to be mushy?  I follow the directions in the book and they are mushy going into pan, mushy when I try to flip them and mushy when they come out of the pan.  If I leave them in longer they will be black instead of dark brown.  They are good but I am wondering if they are supposed to be mushy or am I doing something wrong.
Thanks,
Eva
Eva
MaryB

Re: Butter Bean Cakes are mushy

Post by MaryB »

I made them yesterday too and had the same result. They were yummy, but a little mushy. I thought about adding popcorn flour.  I made the corn chowder today. SO AMAZING.  You should try it. The burgers with pinto beans, ground sirloin and turkey are great too! I served them for Father's Day BBQ! Even the kids liked them!
Mary Ann

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Dr. Thomas Fuller
heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

Did you refrigerate them before you made the cakes?  That helps firm them up. I have made them only 1 time and they did ok.
Ginny M.
Master Member

Post by Ginny M. »

Try Neets Meatloaf.  It's GREAT!!!  *love* Even my Husband liked it (and that's rare).
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Yes I did. I had them in the fridge for about 3 hours. I'll try again and add the popcorn flour. The meatloaf is great isn't it? My husband wasn't sure about the mushrooms, but once he finished 3 slices he loved it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mary Ann

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Dr. Thomas Fuller
zevacat
New, but learning

Post by zevacat »

heretotheend wrote:Did you refrigerate them before you made the cakes?  That helps firm them up. I have made them only 1 time and they did ok.

Yes refrigerated them for a couple of hours but I live in Florida and it is 100 degrees today and we are not using the AC cause we can't afford it right now.  So even if I refrigerate it, it would not take long to get warm in this heat but it was cold when I put it in the pan.  I let the pan and oil get hot so it sizzled right away when I put it in pan.  I was thinking maybe I need to freeze the patties before I put it in the pan. :cool:
Just was checking to see if I missed a step.
Eva
Eva