Let's talk skin

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
isthis4me

Let's talk skin

Post by isthis4me »

sooooooooo's ok, I know I'm a lil drugged out and all  :blush:  but those of us'ns not quite pushin up daisy's but gettin better with age  :rose:

whacha'll use for skin care regime?
wrinkles?
crow's feet?
cellulitus  :sick:
yanno basic skin care.................

do you do facials?
do you believe in them?
what about body wraps ( like fango )

0r detox baths>>>>>>>

Im jes askin  :blush:
Mynx

Re: Let's talk skin

Post by Mynx »

skin brushing! This is supposed to be great for getting rid of cellulite as well as many other benefits.

I bought a bunch of dead sea mineral skin care (lotion and facial skin peel) at an awesome price that I am using.

Bought Epsom salts to do soaking baths in for muscle soreness and detox.

I do have some detox type body wraps that I am going to do in a couple weeks or a month.

LDL!!!!! is incredible for the skin paired with a bunch of water.

here is a video about Facial Massage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyLXSx3fR1Q She is the one I also watched for her skin brushing how-to.
Mynx

Post by Mynx »

I also read somewhere on here about essential oils so I bought some almond oil and some grapefruit essential oil last night. Was planning on looking into it more so if anyone does this and has a great site please post :)

Also I work from home so going barefoot alot is not great for my feet. I am now putting on  a bunch of lotion, socks and laceup shoes in the morning to soften my feet up. This is something I got from http://www.flylady.net/ which has to do about a system for cleaning and organizing your house but this is one of the things that is part of her system.
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

I too go barefot allot
the best thing Ive found for feet is kerasil its a bit pricey but it does work
and coconut oil is also an excellent hair and skin conditioner

I used to do allot with essential oils( make my own soaps, bath and body products, candles etc) but Ive long gone outta that track of my life sadly, I need to go back to soapin however  *love*  (spelling?)
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Trish,

I'm a soaper too.  :D

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by MaryB »

Hi ladies.
What's a soaper? :angel:
Mary Ann

All things are difficult before they are easy.
Dr. Thomas Fuller
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

LP nahuh....do I Know you from the dish??

soaper= makes soap at home from Lye
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Post by LittlePrincess »

Trish,

You just might!  ;D  I'm sending you a pm.

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by isthis4me »

:cool:
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

Skin.  Such an interesting topic.  It is really best to exercise and drink lots of water while losing weight so you can tighten and tone at the same time.  Unfortunately, I'm not great at doing either.  I am thinking that on my third month I will begin some type of exercise program.  I'll be starting month two tomorrow. 

Being I'm a massage therapist I know a little bit about the subject but still haven't found anything that I really think will do the trick as far as toning and tighting product wise.  There is a type of massage called Lypossauge (I think that's how it is spelled).  It time consuming and expensive but it realy does work.  Comparing that with plastic surgury, for me that's the way to go.  I lost 65 pounds on Jenny Craig a couple of years ago and when I got that far I had it done.  Fortunately, a friend learned how to do it and she used me as her guinea pig.  It is 3 sessions a week for 6 weeks and costs around $4,500.  Then you do one session a week to keep up with it or you will lose it in a year.  I didn't keep up with it.  If I had been able to do another series of 18 I would probably have looked better than I have in a long, long time.  It really does lift, tighten and tone.  In fact, it pretty much restructures the shape of your body. 

I'm running out of space.  Have to continue on.
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

For some reason I couldn't keep writings.

As far as body wraps there may be a few professional ones out there but just having a detoxing wrap done once isn't going to do the trick.  A lot depends on the product, too.  Grapefruit essential oil is supposed to be good for losing weight I've heard.  I think skin brushing is probably the best way to go.  I think having a professional salt scrub or body polish done every couple of months is a good idea.  Having one to do in the shower a couple of times a week is a great idea.  Make sure you use natural products.  Spend a little extra money you are worth it.  There are a lot of over the counter products that are filled with junk.  You're not putting junk in your mouth so why put it on your body.  Remember your skin absorbs things much quicker.  I like a product called 100% Pure.  They're pretty reasonably priced and last a while, especially the shower wash if you use a puff. 

Facials are very beneficial.  Professional facials do what is called extractions.  It extracts the stuff out of blackheads, pimples, etc.  They hurt but it does the job.  Getting one every month is healthy.  There are all kinds of upgrades you can do every now and then.  You can buy good skin care products at a spa.  They have more ingredients in them - more pharmaceutical than over the counter.  Make sure the person is very knowledgeable about the product and your skin type and not just trying to sell you anything.  A good cleanser, toner, scrub, mask and moisturizer is best.  If you buy the products, use them.  Scrubs and masks twice a week - on garbage days, that way you'll remember.  We have botox parties at the spa but I'm not into it at all.  I use Mac make-up from Macy's.  I like the liquid foundation as it lasts longer than the other types of foundations.  It's pricey stuff, but I love it.  It's my one splurge.
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

Boy, didn't know I was so longwinded.  Third message here.

Continuing on.  A good eye cream is good.  Wrinkles usually are caused by a lack of oxygen.  If you smoke, your skin will show it.  Get plenty of fresh air and breathe.  Get that oxygen flowing. 

Hair care - spend a little on yourself if you can.  I know being very overweight causes a person to feel like they want to hide.  But taking care of your appearance will make you feel so much better about yourself.  Get a pedicure, too.  They're pretty inexpensive.  Buy salon products that are natural.  Over the counter ones usually aren't all that good.  You're worth it.

Massage is great for losing weight.  I find that it works on all levels.  Physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.  It flushes out toxins, tightens and tones, releases tension (stress can make you look years older) and I find it actually helps a person put things into perpective.  I've had people begin weight loss programs after coming to me.

Lastly (I think) find ways to feed your spirit.  Find a group you love or an activity and a church that you reasonate with.  Go within and find out what YOUR beliefs are (not someone elses) and find a way to not only feed your spirit but find a way to serve others.  Finding out who you really are and what gifts you have to offer the world will truly keep you young.  Love your life.  I know being overweight causes a lot of us to isolate.  Emotional issues may come up as we are on this journey.  Find a way to let them go.  Forgive yourself and anyone else you hold any kind of grudge against.

Hope some of that helps.  Much love to everyone.

Mynx

Post by Mynx »

massageangel wrote:
Lastly (I think) find ways to feed your spirit.  Find a group you love or an activity and a church that you reasonate with.  Go within and find out what YOUR beliefs are (not someone elses) and find a way to not only feed your spirit but find a way to serve others.  Finding out who you really are and what gifts you have to offer the world will truly keep you young.  Love your life.  I know being overweight causes a lot of us to isolate.  Emotional issues may come up as we are on this journey.  Find a way to let them go.  Forgive yourself and anyone else you hold any kind of grudge against.

Hope some of that helps.  Much love to everyone.

Very good advice!!!

Hair care - spend a little on yourself if you can.

Any brand you like without spending a ton? I also need a clarifying product but have looked and hadn't found anything. I swear I used to see ones saying clarifying before but haven't the couple times I've looked recently.
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

Mynx,

I wrote three pages of info.  Don't know if you read them all.  I didn't think I'd get so wordy.  I have to look and see what clarifying means.  I work with a guy who had done hair for 30 years.  We have our own brand but I like Purology cause it is for color treated hear.  I'm lucky that I get a 50% discount. 

I'll get back to you on this.
Mynx

Post by Mynx »

Yup I read them :) By clarifying I just meant buildup of hair products on hair, using a "clarifying" shampoo or treatment to remove that waxy or whatever buildup.

The last time I had my hair cut the girl asked me what I used (was using Herbal Essences at the time) and she recommended getting a better product and using a clarifying shampoo first to remove buildup. I do tend to spend less on myself so have always used shampoos and conditioners that were not salon quality but I like the scent.

My hair is quite long and I do lighten it occasionally with a home coloring since salon jobs are soo expensive with my length of hair and i don't change the color all that much lighter.
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

I'll find out what is good.  Your fruity shampoos will take color out fast, especially reds.  I agree with your stylist about spending more on shampoo and conditioner.  Most of the professional products are concentrated so they last a really long time.  I used to color my own hair, too, but I get it done at the spa now.  One of the perks of working there.

Mynx

Post by Mynx »

I'm running out of space.  Have to continue on.

I am pretty sure all that is happening is you are comng to the bottom of the "box" for your message. Just hit enter and it will keep going, it will put a scroll in that text box so you can continue writting your post and scroll up and down to see it all.

Thanks for looking into the hair products and all of the info!
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

my goodness, I didn't know you could do so many things to your skin, I have a hairdresser, she colours my hair and cuts it, it's naturally curly, so I don't have bad hair days, I have big hair days.  otherwise, if I really think about it I try to remember to put sunscreen on when I go golfing, otherwise I get a bit sunburnt, and can't do that because of the fear of melanoma.  If I really dress up, I throw a bit of makeup on, but for the most part don't do nothing but wash my face before bed, and when I get up.
massageangel

Post by massageangel »

Yes, there is a lot we can do.  It is about caring for ourselves and not getting caught up into what others think we should look like.  It is a part of loving ourselves.

As far as the melonoma goes, it's not the sun that will give it to you, it is the fear of getting it that will.  Go out and enjoy golfing.  Enjoying it will override the fear.  Love always does.
isthis4me

Post by isthis4me »

wow Massageangel, I wish you lived near me what a benefit it would be I think  *hug*

I DO agree with everything you say and try my best to put me first~smile~

I do use as close to natural as I can but am always leary to spend money and not be sure of stuff, yanno how that goes Im sure!

I DO love my massages and need in fact to schedule one for this week and get back to monthly
I am gonna get my  facial
I usually do a detox bath with baking soda, mustard ( ground) and epsom salts but have so got outta it its not funny  :blush:
I think I will try and make my a regime and yes I need to start meditation again and freeing myself from negatives

Please feel free to expunge on more info as you see fit I really DO appreciate it as I am sure many will/do  *hug*  :rose: