Another Newbie

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
TracieJohnston

Another Newbie

Post by TracieJohnston »

Dear Roger and the all the members of LDL,

I am so excited about trying Let's Do Lunch.  I actually picked up the June issue of First (I never read this mag) because of cover about losing weight.  I actually was fussing to myself about wasting the money because I just knew it was going to be the same ole garbage that we have all heard regarding weightloss.  I got home and threw the magazine on the coffee table and ignored it for about 3 weeks.  I ran back across it while throughing out junk mail and it caught my attention again so I read it.  To my pleasant surprise this was a different concept. 

I have not always been overweight, however, I have had to work twice as hard as anyone else to just stay average.  I've always be athletic and muscular, but then about 1 1/2 years ago I caught MSRA Staph Infection.  I had it on my upper lip and it spread dangerously within hours.  I ended up in the hospital for two weeks under the most intense pain, surgery, more intense pain, and under a barage of drugs that killed everything in me including a lot of the good stuff that kept me from catching everything I come into contact with.  I spent another month in the bed at home, plus another month getting use to just moving about the house and so forth.  One would expect that I would have lost lots of weight during my ordeal, but no.  I gained and kept gaining and kept gaining.  I've been told this is because of steroids, lack of movement, and other medical stuff, however, 1 1/2 years later I'm about 65 lbs overweight and can't lose no matter what I do.  So, I quickly picked up your book and have began reading it.  I've not read it through yet, but I've already began the program as I read (no patience.  ha ha).  I am very nervous about this new life style of eating.  I have never ate a lot of food.  Most of the time I have one to two small meals a day and fruit to me was the "devil". If I strayed from that and I gain.  I also eat low carb, so, this well out of my comfort zone.  But, when you were explaining the cravings I stopped in my tracks.  I may not eat much at all, but, everything I want to eat is terrible.  It some how made a weird kind of since to me, so, here I am nervously taking my first steps into a new way of life and thinking about food.  Oh,  I love the frozen grape thing. :D
God Bless,

Tracie

heretotheend

Re: Another Newbie

Post by heretotheend »

Welcome Tracie.  You are going to love LDL. It really is so simple to do and soooooo delicious. All the help you might need is right here on these boards. If you don't find what you need just post a question and the food police and others will be glad to assist you.

Martha
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Tracie.

Welcome to a new life!

It is so hard to wrap our minds around the fact that if we eat too little, and if we avoid healthy, complex carbs like fruit, we set ourselves up to gain weight, or make it almost impossible to lose. Only doing LDL according to the plan, making healthy choices, and IGNORING those old diet "regulations" that have been programmed into our heads, will make a believer out of you.

My hubby's weight fluctuates within less than 10 pounds, but when he's at the top of his weight range, he gets a little bit unhappy, and gets more active and eats more carefully. A year or so ago, he decided to cut back on the amount he eats, and lose weight that way. He lost a couple of pounds, then stopped losing. He ate less, and still didn't lose. Less, and still didn't lose. He commented how odd it was that a person could get by on really a very small amount of food, and your body would maintain its weight. I told him he'd better cut out the low rations and just focus on eating healthfully -- or he'd get sick.

A good lesson for all of us? And a good reason to do Let's Do Lunch! But it sure is sometimes hard work to ignore those old "diet" do's and don'ts that have become so ingrained over the years!

You can do this! It will take some time for your body to believe that you aren't doing the starvation rations anymore, but it will happen, and you will feel so much better for it. Especially after the horrific health crisis you went through! Whew! I'm glad you're on the mend, and I think LDL will help you get your life back!

God bless.
Terri
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Tracie,

I am so sorry that you had to endure all that you have.  But if it led you to LDL then you could come to believe it was a blessing in disguise.  :angel:

You will not believe how wonderfully your body responds to this WOE (Way of Eating). I was an Atkins advocate and LDL has changed my perspective on eating forever more. My body is so happy now.  :D

I wish you vibrant good health and hope you will post your food intake on the journals so that our more Senior members may help you. Also be sure to look through the recipe files for those that suit your tastes. There truly is something there for everyone.  :thumbsup:

Welcome to LDL!

Julie :rose:
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

welcome Tracie!  your going to love it here.  :thumbsup: there is way more info on here than in the magazine. keep reading girl.  did you order the book?
TracieJohnston

Post by TracieJohnston »

Thank you everyone for the welcome.  To answer Lizzie, I have bought the book.  I was so excited to begin reading it that I went to the local bookstore to get it.  I've read through chapter 5 so far.  Today was my first day.  I started this morning with a banana and so popcorn.  Mornings are such a rush for me that I don't have time to cook breakfast.  Lunch was a lean Turkey burger (no bread just patty) with a little catsup and a glass of low sodium V-8 juice.  I got hungry and ate some frozen grapes and some popcorn.  Not sure what I'm going to do for dinner, but I understand that it needs to be healthy starches, veggies, and fruit.  This way of eating seems to be a lot more convenient than the low carb way I use to eat. 
God Bless,

Tracie

Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

Welcome to LDL
My daughter sent me the book after We both read first.  Besure to eat enough food.  Eat until you are full. this will help make to the next meal.  Fruit helps with the craving for sugar and beans help with the potato type foods.  It is a new WOE and I don't call it a diet.  As you know DIET is a dirty fore letter word.  That word has never worked for me.  WOE is so wonderful.  I am in week 8 and have lost 15 pounds.  I have more energy and have a better attitude about myself and a very supportive husband who grows my veggies.  Just keep asking questions as someone will respond.
Again welcome  the support group here is wonderful.
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
EnJae
Master Member

Post by EnJae »

Hey Tracie;
Is your book cover blue or red?
If it is blue, please ask Roger Troy for the updates. He'll send them to you.
NJ
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

HI Tracie.

As you get the hang of this program, you'll find it delightfully easy! Be sure to ask questions, or look at the subjects in the message boards -- I think most every questions has been asked once or twice!

Be sure you are not making your portions too small. If you do that, you'll be on yet another diet, your body will never discover that you aren't REALLY starving it, and you'll never be rid of cravings. EAT until you are full. Don't focus on limiting breakfast to fruit right now unless it feels good and fills you up (it does for me, but there are lots of other people here who have to add other things to make a good breakfast). Eat any and all LDL foods at any meal at any time to start with. Eat between meals if you are hungry, but don't just grab a snack. Eat until you're FULL. (Did I say that already? It's important!) That's the only thing that will end your cravings. Your body will gradually tell you to cut back on the amount you are eating. Don't try to force it. Enjoy the freedom!

God bless,

Terri