Canned Butter Beans

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
stephyanders

Canned Butter Beans

Post by stephyanders »

So I noticed this first awhile back when I made the "Potato" salad, and again today when I put butter beans in my smoothie. The beans seem to have an off taste, and I'm wondering if this might be the liquid that they are stored in? When I open the can, they smell funny, and then the taste is not so great (I drank most of my smoothie this morning, but was not enjoying it like I usually do).
I went ahead and bought the dried butter beans and will try preparing them to see if the bad taste goes away. Has anyone experienced this before? I know that the ones I bought are the store brand, and I thought that had something to do with it. If I still dislike the butter beans, what beans would be recommended in things like smoothies and the potato salad?
Thanks!
LittlePrincess
Master Member

Re: Canned Butter Beans

Post by LittlePrincess »

Hi steph,

Hon are you draining and rinsing the butterbeans before you use them?  I always drain and rinse them first.  That helps alot.  If you are and you still don't enjoy them, my next suggestion would be to try some white beans.  You can experiment with whatever kind of beans you like. 

I'm not a smoothie girl so I'm sure some of the others will pop in soon and give you some pointers on the beans in the smoothies.  Hang in there.  :)  You'll figure out what works for you. 

(In Faith)  LP
All you will ever be is you.  Learn to love it.

Post by stephyanders »

Yes, I did rinse the beans. For the potato salad I rinsed extremely well because I was serving to my family, and for the smoothies it was just a quick rinse. I hope my hunch that's it's only an off brand issue is the problem, because I've never been a huge bean fan and wouldn't know where to start finding beans that would taste good... It would be like a mad scientist experiment  ;D
mom
Master Member

Post by mom »

I rinse my butter beans really really well, and sometimes I substitute cannollenni(sp) or white navy or white kidney beans.  always rinse canned beans well, and for some recipes, dry the beans on paper towel.
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

Steph
I have never been a fan of butter beans but I am learning.  Rinse well.
In my younger days when I was a cook we served a kidney bean salad made almost like the fake potato salad.  It is really good  Been eating that very often for 25 years.
As for smoothies I don't do alot of them they go right thru me.  I eat the whole fruit.
Keep up the good work
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

i've never had butter beans because i finally JUST found them...lol  i am not a smoothie person either.  gosh i guess i'm no help...lol  i was thinking thought that i've heard lots on here say they can eat them right out of the can.  so my thoughts were maybe some brands taste differently?!
stephyanders

Post by stephyanders »

hope that's the case because I would not EVER eat the ones I bought from the can. I'll soak the dried beans tonight and see if they are any better.
savannah

Post by savannah »

Hi Stephy.....funny you should mention this, because I found this also....but I have recently been buying Bush's Butter Beans....they have large and small  baby butter beans in the can....and have not had any ordor or smell or funny taste with this brand....

I buy them at Wal Mart....99cents per can and stock up whenever I go....I  love the potato salad made with them....and love  this brand....give them a try, I don't think you will be disappointed... *love*
stephyanders

Post by stephyanders »

Thanks Savannah! I'm glad to know that there are butter beans that taste wonderful. I was so excited to try all the recipes that called for them, but then I opened them and I was dissapointed. The potato salad was good, but I think I tripled the veggies to mask the off taste of the beans. I guess from now on I won't be buying non-name brands... Now I'm worried to open the garbanzo beans I bought because they're off brand too!
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

i don't think you could go wrong with a can of white beans...no matter what brand!  do you have those instead?
stephyanders

Post by stephyanders »

I didn't actually buy any yet. I was looking at the great northern beans and next time I go to the store I'll pick p a can to try. I hadn't been able to really see any recipes that cAlled for those yet, but they have to be better than the off Brand I bought!
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

i like those kind of beans!  i was using them along with cannellini..and of course white because like i said i couldn't find butter beans at first.  oh so i wanted to tell you...i did try some that i bought today...they were Bush's...yummy!
terrims54

Post by terrims54 »

I like Bush's Butter Beans. I rinse very well. I did try them in the smoothie and didn't care for it :sad:. Maybe I put too many in. I will have to try it again. I love Butter Bean mashed potatoes. Just add some chicken broth and ICBINB. I have them almost every day.
Terri