Tip on cooking beans

Get innovations here.
razzle

Tip on cooking beans

Post by razzle »

If you are short on time and need to cook some beans you can remove some of the gas by bringing plain beans to a full rolling boil. Set the pan in the sink, (IMPORTANT) and add 4TB baking soda. The beans will foam up and over the pan. Drain and rinse well. Restart your beans and cook as usual. Do not add your salt until the beans are done, sometimes it makes the beans tough. They will also cook faster.
I cook for a  Catholic church on a daily basis and beans is some thing that I cook daily. I have been putting some of the LDL recipes that I find online on the buffet for the Nuns that are interested in LDL also.
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
rags

Re: Tip on cooking beans

Post by rags »

I cook for 200 people daily all with various dietary issues. So the LDL lifestyle is perfect for me since I can feed the ones with celiac, diabetes, low salt and low fat at the same time. Since Fridays they don't eat meat, only fish, I am going to try the Little Mary's tomato soup and bean soup. I had made the tamale pie for them and got rave reviews. They are excited that I have found a new use for beans. I will keep you posted on the changes in health issues when they arise.
housemouse

Post by housemouse »

While this is a good tip, I read long ago that baking soda will reduce the nutritional value of the beans, but it might be if it is cooked with the beans?

For those of you new to eating beans, please know that in a week or so, your intestinal tract will develop "tolerance", and the "gassy" stage will be a forgotten memory. Also, lentils, great northern beans, and the white beans in general do not seem to be as "gassy" as the red beans.

Eat your beans in two or three small amounts daily and you will become efficient at digesting these wonderful little nuggets. People who have the biggest trouble with them usually eat them infrequently. Beano can help in the beginning, but you will not have to use it forever.
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I poked around on line and I think I read that baking soda cooked with the beans reduces nutritional value.  There was another post about this somewhere on this board and the person posting described using the baking soda the way you do (just pouring it into the pan and rinsing off) and claimed it to be the army method.  I did your method with cooking black beans and man did it foam up!  The foam is supposed to be the gassiness leaving the beans. 

I have been eating beans for much longer than a week, about 3 months now and they still cause me a lot of digestive distress.  I am now taking a product called gas stop by renew life and it works great....much better than beano.  But, I hope to get used to beans and not have to use anything to be able to eat them. 
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
Jeni
New, but learning

Post by Jeni »

Great tips and good things to know.

I totally LOVE beans! Always have. And I love the red ones the most. THIS EXPLAINS A LOT! HAHAHA!  ;D

Appreciate all this info. I'd much rather cook beans from dry than use canned whenever possible.  And I'm not all that good at cooking beans right.

Day 4 - still feeling good, still down 2 pounds, and (even after all the fruit, corn and beans) LESS BLOATED than I have been for about 2 years!  Also, I started LDL a couple of months AFTER I'd already been taking some colon cleansing measures, like high fiber, some senna tea and aloe vera juice.  My consistent response to something like that is to ask "Why?" Or "How can this be?"  (Maybe it's because I was still eating a lot of wheat and rice products...?)  Mostly, though, I just want to be done with bloat forever, and hope this plan will do the trick!

Thanks to everyone for answering all my questions. This is great.
Regards,

Jeni

CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Good Morning Everyone,

Adding baking soda to any food that you are cooking will destroy a B vitamin called thiamine. Baking soda is often added to reduce cooking time. A pressure cooker can be used instead of baking soda to reduce cooking time for dry beans.

I hope this tip helps.

CQ
turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Thanks CQ...that's pretty much what I knew to be true, but I forgot it was thiamine that it destroys.  Now, how about if you just pour the baking soda into the pot and rinse it off right away?  In other words, it is not cooked in with the beans. 
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
razzle

Post by razzle »

Well the summer is finally coming to a close here at the church. I have been integrating LDL foods into the lunch line. People really like the tomato soup, so thank you for the recipe. It is really nice for my celiac people because it doesn't have all the fillers that can soup has and I can control the amount of salt for the high blood pressure people. Putting the pizza soup on the line on Fridays will keep you posted. I don't cook breakfast but am going to make popcorn flour pancakes for Father Geiger, he is my resident popcorn fanatic. :D
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans