LDL and Exercise

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
LMSP

LDL and Exercise

Post by LMSP »

I decided when I started LDL not to exercise as heavily as I was in the past to see if the program truly worked on it's own - I still walk the dogs 2-4 times a day for a total of 1/2 to 1 hour total of walking time per day --- but I was wondering.......if I start to work out as hard as I was before -- maybe 2 hours of walking and lifting weights per day will that accelerate my weight loss?  I am limited to those activities, other than gardening etc since my ankle is fused.

Curious - who else on the LDL program works out/exercises?  And has it helped you lose quicker?

I know that exercise does usually equal more weight loss, but I am kind of nervous to get back into it since without it I am losing weight.....I know my walking now is good for many things.  I think I will exercise more for the next 30 days and see what happens.  I just wondered how people on the program feel it has affected their efforts???? 
mom
Master Member

Re: LDL and Exercise

Post by mom »

I try to exercise regularily, but I usually walk and hour a day, then do some other weight bearing exercise, I don't think what I do is helping to increase my weight loss, but it will help to tone and develop muscle instead of fat.  so I will keep exercising, I know some people are using ttapp, which is a special exercise for helping to lose inches and have been successful, there is a whole thread on ttapping somewhere on the boards, or Kathie or Gem could tell you more.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

HI LMSP,

The only time that exercise is not good for you is if you overdo it and hurt yourself.

If you are doing cardio you are burning calories and the more you burn, the more you lose. You also get a metabolism shot for a few hours after. If you are lifting, you are building muscle. the muscle will increase your metabolism all day and night. That's why men usually lose more than women do on the same eating plan. It's all good! 

I exercise every day!  I have to!  I was let go from my job after 20 years in 1999 and was so healthy during that time bc I walked the track every morning and lifted every night (well almost every day and night!  :blush: ) The weight was falling off me. When I found a new job and sat at a desk all day, I started packing on the pounds again and here I am 80 lbs later ---  :thumbdown:  Since I am still at that job, I have to exercise. If I don't, I actually gain weight almost every day. I can tell you that I do not test this too much - it is too scary.

There are also tons of other health benefits esp with the weight training. It is the only thing that can improve bone density (except for meds). It also improves your mood, your energy, your focus and dampens your appetite. And it makes you fit into clothes bc your body pulls in.

AS you can tell, I'm an advocate. I truly believe I would be a lot less healthy if I didn't exercise during my whole adult life.

Probably more than you bargained for! Go for it!  What kind of exercise do you do?  I was actually thinking it might be fun to have an exercise club where we would get point for every minute of exercise we do. Maybe gold stars or something silly to motivate us. What do you think? Too much pressure?

Julie :rose:
LMSP

Post by LMSP »

Julie:

I had my ankle fused in Nov - no up and down movement in it now - but at least little pain vs what it was like in the past - there were nights I had to crawl to bed the problems were so bad.... so I am limited - walking walking walking is the only cardio I can do - and not more than 2 miles per hour since the ankle movement just does not allow it.  I cand lift weight but now squats etc - no balance when you cannot bend the ankle... this weeble wobbles and will fall down!!!  But I do what I can.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Oh, I 'm so sorry!  How did that happen? I didn;t mean it to sound like you had to do lots, I just meant whatever you can is more than enough.

There is no pressure to perform. I lift weights sitting down sometimes when I am too tired to do it any other way. Any exercise is beneficial, even playing wii.

*love*
LMSP

Post by LMSP »

It happened over 20 years ago -- the injury -- but this surgery helped tremendously with the pain factor -- I kept waiting to do it hoping they could come up with a good replacement ankle... but no luck yet - they only last a few years and so much trouble with them.  So I did the fusion -- and glad I did, but limited on things I can do... but it never stops me from doing what I can!!!!
sval59

Post by sval59 »

Can you ride a stationery bike?  I broke my ankle a couple of years ago and that is the first thing they got me started on in my physical therapy and my orthopedic surgeon highly recommended it.  I have a great model that I can recommend if you're interested.

Cheryl
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

My doctor is okay with LDL but the only thing he said was to walk 30 minutes daily for my heart.
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
LMSP

Post by LMSP »

No stationary bike - ankle cannot bend at all up or down - so no way jose-- I use a treadmill in the winter and walk the dogs 3-4 times a day the rest of the year - so maybe a total of 30-40 mins a day -- then on the weekend I take them to the park and we do the 1.5 mile trail around the lake walk.  I walk using the roll of my shoe/special insert/ and the front of my foot - (think the frankenstein monster -- if I did not use the front of my foot I would walk like him!) -- no movement at all up and down - ankle joint removed, bone graft and lots and lots of hardware in there!  But I love walking so all in all I am happy.

I purposely did not walk and lift weights for the first two months to see if the LDL lifestyle alone allowed for weight loss -- which by golly -- it did!  So this month I am going to amp up my walking time and add the weight lifting back in for my upper body and see what effect it has...

Thanks for your help and thoughts
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

L, all that walking that you are already doing is great exercise. Just keep on with the dogs - it's already working.

How about a hula hoop? Feet are planted  :D

mamavan

Post by mamavan »

Hi LMSP. Well years of dieting and following just about every report, doctors' orders,articles...the best exercise is good old fashion walking. I know many, many years ago after my children were born that's how I lost all my "baby" weight. I didn't diet, just walked around the block every day. I try to walk around the block nowadays w/my dogs. Except my dogs are Boston Terriers, and it has been extremely humid of late, and Bostons do not fare well in the heat (or the cold). Julie and I were talking a while back about weight training and I started a weight training program via a video in my house. I have to say...I love weight training! And Julie is right about it building muscle and muscle burns fat. I'm 57 ... so I'm not using heavy weights...yet-lol! This program is one day of weight training, one day of cardio, one day rest. I don't know if I'm losing weight any faster, but between LDL, and this I will definitely need a new wardrobe for the fall! I haven't posted in a while b/c I've just been busy...I was glad to read your post. I think walking is the best exercise you can do. I hope our "humidity" breaks soon so I can walk the dogs again. When I first started walking again, it was a struggle to walk "uphill" up my driveway. I was panting by the time I got to the top. Not anymore.

I will be weighing myself this Saturday...and hopefully updating my "ticker" with weight loss. I believe (as I'm sure we all have heard a million times) losing weight slowly is more successful than dropping pounds and pounds per week.

Enjoy your walks - it's the best, easiest, no gym required, no equipment required and most consistent exercise we can do for ourselves.  :thumbsup:
Cheryl
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hey mama, Good for you!  SO glad you like the program you started.  It really will make a huge difference. But it is one of those things that you only know did you a world of good if you stop doing it.

I expect you will have spectacular results on Saturday!  Can't wait to hear.

Hey L, How's it going?

Jeni
New, but learning

Post by Jeni »

Greetings to all you exercisers,

This is my first post. I can't run due to achy, bad-but-don't-want-them-replaced knees. And my house is situated where there's no ideal place to walk, too. I have also had some low-back and hip issues, so the marching of some types of walking sometimes hurts.

Some of my suggestions might help LMSP as well.

If it is possible to do Nordic Trak, I have found this to be a really great non-impact cardio workout. You use your arms and shoulders a lot with it. I have never had an ankle problem, so I don't know what your exact limitations are. That has to really create some obstacles. We bought our NT used. Craigslist is a good resource for lots of "stuff" like this.

When I've needed to just get off of my feet, I've also found that Pilates-based floor exercises are great. I use lots of DVDs. I don't believe it's necessary to belong to a fitness club to get exercise! Some people like the social interaction; I just want to sweat and feel better. Anyway, the stretch-strength focus of Pilates can be both invigorating and relaxing. One of the workouts I like is Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates (only 30 minutes total, and I am able to do all of the moves even when recovering from some minor injuries).

A great resource for videos is Collage Video (collagevideo.com). Not only do they have about 700 videos listed, they have a little viewer where you can click to see a few portions of each video - just so you have an idea of what you're getting in to. This has helped me save countless dollars and hours. Also, both the website and the catalog have great information about what each workout is like. They break each one down in several categories (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Maternity, Special) and also as to "cardio", "strength", "toning". As well, they show how much of each video is focused on those things as well as "warm-up" and "cool-down".

Walking is wonderful. I know a lot of people who walk; I do walk myself as well. Just not as faithfully as you do!

Well, it's time for my smooooothie now.  I look forward to fitting back into some of my clothes again... I know I'll enjoy this forum of message boards.

Hope this is helpful.

Kindest regards to all,

Jeni
Regards,

Jeni

LMSP

Post by LMSP »

Jeni - thanks but unless you truly understand a fusion..... I cannot do nordic track, stationary bike, anything that requires the actual bending of the ankle joint because it does not bend.  I can only walk since the the front of my foot (think of tippy toeing..) is the only bendy part of my foot - the ankle is actualy fused at 80 degrees and has NO MOVEMENT up and down whatsoever and only a 10th of left to right motion is left.  So walking is my only thing I really can do and I am limited to how fast I can go without tripping etc.. it is what it is and I have been living with it at different stages for 20 years...

But it is ok -- I can lift upper body weights but cannot do things like squats/kicks/etc that require balance.

The reason I originally posted was to see if LDL'ers found they lost more weight incorporating more exercise or not...  I can walk and walk and walk now with just a minimum of pain vs before this fusion (I had it done last Nov) - in the past I was on pain pills and it was always in pain and there were nights I had to crawl to bed.

I appreciated the input and suggestions very much.
julie409
Master Member

Post by julie409 »

Hi Jeni,

Welcome!  Hope to hear more from you about your experience and success.

L, Sorry we were not much help.  *hug*
I know the weight training will help your physiology overall so I am betting that will be enough to make a difference as you are building muscle. And you are already walking. What more can you ask?

I do exercise almost every day. If I don't, I gain weight.  I would say that exercise has to improve your results. It would be impossible not to.

Hope you are having a great day!

turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Ttapp is my workout of choice!  It rehabilitative, good even for people with back problems, shoulder problems, or recuperating from surgery.  I love it and got rapid fire results, at a time when I was stalled with weight loss.  The inch loss helped me keep up with my LDL, so its all good.  I lost 4 inches in my waist alone in 2 weeks.  Good luck to you with whatever you decide on!  I also do some walking with a friend....but the weather will turn on me oh too soon in Ohio, so then it will be just ttapp, ttapp, ttapp!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
Jeni
New, but learning

Post by Jeni »

Sorry - you're right, L, I do not have a clue what a fusion must mean for you.

Pilates (some of it) or some kinds of yoga might still be something to try... only, of course, the moves that would be OK for your ankle. It would take some investigation on your part - which maybe you've already done.

While website-searching, looking for new videos to put in my line up, I did see ttapp, and was intrigued, but not convinced. (I also bought a "deep-breathing system" workout a few years back, and honestly I'm not sure if it worked or not...) Kathie - talk to me! I've got two of Burr Leonard's The Bar Method workouts, and really like them for doing deep-muscle toning. At the same time, they're not the slightest bit "cardio" in nature, and I have to do that on other days... How much time does ttapp take? Would I have to join a class to get it figured out? I live in the boonies... joining a fitness center is not an option. And budgetary constraints are getting bigger these days, too.

Thanks, everyone, for "weighing in" on this - and so fast! I think I am going to like this a lot.

Jeni
Regards,

Jeni

heretotheend

Post by heretotheend »

Jeni welcome...........I have not started exercising yet...........am waiting until I lose a little more weight.....I do walk some but need to increase it................I know from experience that you are really going to love LDL

Cookie
Jeni
New, but learning

Post by Jeni »

Thank you thank you!  :)

Something I've been struggling with for over a year is this plateau,  *grrr* DESPITE the facts that I've 1) totally given up all kinds of pop (both regular and diet), 2) started drinking a lot more water, and 3) been exercising at least moderately - aerobics and light weight lifting.  One year today! And yet? Bouncing up and down about the same four pounds, between 12 and 16 pounds over my 125-pound "set weight." This is NOT OK!!!

So... in spite of my good (at least decent) exercise habits, SOMETHING was not working to get back and/or stay at that "set weight". And honestly, the "set weight" number is about 5 pounds too high; before I had my son, I was at a lower "set point."  I guess this is something that I'm sensing other people have come up against - having a GOOD exercise regimen along with not-so-good eating habits; habits that disallow the exercise to work or help the way it "should."  As well, I am not content to let the idea (excuse) that getting older simply brings being too heavy or out of shape along with it!! That's not true!

I do need efficient, effective exercise: I don't have the 2-3 hours a day I once did for working out, and as well, my joints just won't take it... AND until I lose 10-15 pounds, exercise won't be nearly as fun as it is in a smaller body. Talk about multiple catch-22 circumstances!  :sad:  :wrong:

When I saw the LDL story in the June 1 First Magazine, I was so intrigued. Giving up refined sugar and flour (COMPLETELY)  *lipssealed*  about 15 years ago produced an amazing weight loss in me - without exercise. I was spending all my leisure time in the kitchen, in fact, concocting recipes! But it was such a limiting plan, and made me look like such a food-snob when I'd go out - I couldn't eat off of any menu! Maybe a salad bar... but that was it. This is a much better, more user-friendly and socially enabling plan. Hallelujah!  I'm only on Day 3 (or 4) so I've just begun. But I'm 2 pounds down, and haven't had the upswing... it's all good! (Now to get off the scales for two weeks...)

I love hearing other peoples' stories... I'll be back daily!

Take care everyone, and have a great evening.  :)
Regards,

Jeni

turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

Seriously....ttapp, in only 20 minutes a day I lost 4 inches in my waist in 2 weeks.....sorry to be a broken record!  :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.