Need some advice

Feel free to talk about anything and everything re Let’s Do Lunch™.
catdog530

Need some advice

Post by catdog530 »

First of all, Thanks for all the support and advice you have already given me.  I love LDL!  *love*.  Now, I would like to get my dh on the train.  Although he is all for eating healthy, he believes this WOE will not work for him.  Here is why:
He is a truck driver.  He wakes up at 2am 5 days/wk.  He has 2 cups of coffee and a bread product with ICBINB spray.  Usually it is a couple hard rolls,toast,bagel,raisin bread, or something along that line.
Then, while on the road at about 6am, he will eat a couple of granola bars.
At around 9am, he will have another package of granola bars, then at 11am, he will have his sandwich.
Then at about 1pm. he will eat his pretzels.
If he works a long day, he will pick up another bag of snacks (pretzels,sun chips,chex mix etc) and a diet soda. He claims he needs to keep snacking for the energy to keep going.
I serve him dinner at 3:30-4:00.
Then,before bed; he snacks on more pretzels or sunchips.
It's basically the same thing every day.  You would think he would get sick of pretzels and granola bars!

Now enters me with my LDL WOE.  I tell him how good I feel and would like him to try it.  He complains of achy legs, joint pains, and lack of energy.  I have tried to get him to have a fruit smoothie for breakfast, but he says he needs something with "Sustenance"  On his days off. he sleeps in until 5am, and wakes up with a splitting headache.  He believes it is because his body is used to having food in it at 2am.  As soon as he has his coffee and bread product, he feels fine.
  He likes fruit, but it goes right through him, which is quite inconvenient while driving a truck!  He also states that he cannot eat his big protein meal for lunch, since he eats while driving, and needs food that he can eat without utensils.
For dinner, I will make him a somewhat LDL meal- for example, Mary's beef and "potato" casserole.  But I make his with real potatoes.  Then for lunch the next day, I will have the LDL version.
I love him with all my heart, and know he would feel better eating LDL.  Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Deb
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: Need some advice

Post by CodingQueen »

Welcome catdog530,

It sounds like he definitely has a sugar and caffeine addiction.

Maybe he could take RT's advice and have a little fruit and then have beans with fried eggs for breakfast instead of the bagels, etc. It would stay with him longer. I know how a trucker's life is on the road. Then maybe roasted soy nuts with sea salt instead of the pretzels. He doesn't HAVE to eat his main meal at lunch. He could eat it at dinner. Just make sure what he has for lunch doesn't have any heavy protein.

I finally brought home some corn thins and my husband has been making sandwiches with them using hummus since he eats his main meal at dinner with the boys. Before that he was just dipping celery sticks and sliced bell peppers into the hummus. Your husband wouldn't need utensils for that. And there are a variety of flavors here on the boards to choose from. 

Then on the weekends you could follow the LDL program by having your main meal at lunch together.

These are just some suggestions. I hope it helps. At first my husband wasn't interested but he's noticed that his lower back doesn't hurt as bad as it did.

CQ
Jerzygrl09

Post by Jerzygrl09 »

For breakfast you can make him an omelet wrap - when you cook the omelet, sprinkle the top with some beans or diced mixed veggies and flip to finish cooking. When done lay it on some foil and spread hummus on it and sprinkle with some Kalamata olive slices (or black olive) and roll it up when it has cooled a bit. It rolls up like a crepe. It's in foil and he can eat it like a burrito. It's really yummy.

For lunch he could have his protein "sandwiches" wrapped up in soft lettuce leaves - butter lettuce leaves are large and soft and easy to roll,for example. Add some mustard or other condiment to make them tasty. On the side he could have veggies that he can eat by hand - carrots, celery, peppers, cut up cuke spears - any veggies he likes.

Pop some corn for him, spray it with ICBINB and bag it in one of those brown lunch bags - he can easily munch that while driving.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will have more ideas for you.
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

yeah it sounds like he just needs to get away from all the processed high sugar carby foods.  you know how many bad sugar and carbs are in his food.  the other gals gave good advise. tell him to get on the message board so we can knock some sense into him  ;)  :laughing:  :teeth:
catdog530

Post by catdog530 »

Girls,
Thank you for your quick responses. You have some great advice.  I especially like the idea of popcorn and soy nuts instead of pretzels.  It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but I sure hope he is willing to try.  I am trying to make him understand that once his body adjusts to a new WOE, he probably won't get the headaches if sleeping in.  He sure is stubborn! 
My girlfriend sent me an email about the dangers and side effects of aspertame.  I knew it was not good for you, but I did NOT know that equal is made of aspertame.  My DH uses equal in his coffee!  When I read him the side effects, he was stunned!  More than 1/2 of them are ones he experiences!  That was enough to convince him to stop the equal and use truvia.
Well, I won the first battle!  I'll get him eating healthy!  The trick is to make him believe HE is making the decision.  I can't push him! LOL
If anyone would like me to send them the article on aspertame, let me know.
Deb
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Deb,

Maybe I shouldn't say this but my father was a trucker and my stomach just turns when I think about the greasy food he use to eat in those truck stops, plus the coffee and the high salt intake. He said that he had to grab what he could because of his schedule (He drove from Atlanta to Miami and back).

It's up to you tell him but my father died at the age of 58. I don't know how old your husband is but that might be a wake up call for him.

I wish you luck *hug*

Victoria
Last edited by CodingQueen on July 29th, 2009, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catdog530

Post by catdog530 »

Wow Victoria,
What a wake up call that is!  Sorry you lost your Dad at such a young age!  My husband is 47.  Fortunately, he brings his food in a cooler, and doesn't eat at truck stops.  He drives for a local supermarket that has stores in NY,VT,MA, & PA.  On occasion, he will go into the store & buy his munchies. He THINKS he eats healthy, because of off the whole wheat and fiber he gets.  :thumbdown:  I would like to see him eat more fruit & veges.
Thanks for sharing.
Deb
Clown Lady
Master Member

Post by Clown Lady »

Husbands are stubborn.  Mine is beginning to eat some of the LDL food and liking it.  I am going slowly with him.  He is a sugarolic.  He will drive 15 miles one way in the morning just to get a donut.  He loves market days as he is close to the donut shop.  At night he eats cookies and milk or a candy bar.  I just cringe at the sugar.  He is not a over big man and all his vitals are good but for how long.  I am working on him.
Your Husband with your help will come around.  Don't pressure just keep offering the right food for him to eat.
Good Luck
Donna
http://boards.letsdolunch.com/boards/ga ... _33_10.jpg
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS4gwd3/]
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

Deb,

Donna's right...don't push because then he'll rebel...they always do....you have to make them think it's their idea...I think every women should have a degree is psychology ;) After all, we've been doing it for years.

Deb, also remember that they have proven that wheat is actually fattening but, unfortunately, most people are not aware of it. Just think of all the vital information you're going to learn from these boards and begin to live a healthier lifestyle.

Take care *hug*

Victoria
catdog530

Post by catdog530 »

Thanks guys for the support and advice.  I'll have to work on the husband without him knowing what I'm doing.  It reminds me of the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".  Remember when the women wanted Tula to work at the office, but they had to make Gus think it was his idea?  Love Love Love that movie!!  :tongue:
Deb