Roasted whole chicken in a crockpot

Great filling main dish recipes!
julybug

Roasted whole chicken in a crockpot

Post by julybug »

I remembered reading a recipe for this but couldn't remember all of it, so I winged it :tongue:.  I put a little EVVO in the crock pot and coated all sides.  Remove the neck etc from inside the whole chicken and rinse inside and out with cold water.  Then I mixed up all the spices that I wanted on my chicken.  I used onion powder, rosemary, fresh thyme and sage.  I lifted the skin off the breast without cutting it off and put this mix and a small amount of EVVO, under it and inside and all over the chicken. Put the chicken breast down in the crock pot.  Do not put any water in the crock pot.  I cooked mine for 7 hrs and it was falling apart done.  

The first  hr on high my mistake :blush:.  I did search for a recipe before I left it cooking all day and it said to put on low all the time.  Some crock pots can cook this in 4 to 5 hrs.  You may want to use a rack if you have one, the crock pot had about 1 1/2 of cooking juices/fat in the bottom.  

I did put the done chicken in the oven at 375 for 15 mins just to brown it.  I really didn't care about browning it because I am not eating the skin anyway, but the menfolk in the house liked it better that way.
Last edited by julybug on July 29th, 2009, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
......Image

Am I the only one hearing the Rocky theme "Getting strong now" all day?
heretotheend

Re: Roasted whole chicken in a crockpot

Post by heretotheend »

Julybug, I have a turkey breast that I need to cook...Think I will put it in the crockpot this weekend....I have used my crockpot more in the last 2 months than I have in several years....have been making some good meals and cooking lotssss of beans....Thanks for the idea.

Martha
julybug

Post by julybug »

I've cooked another chicken last night.  This time I cut up a large onion and put it in the bottom of the crock pot and put garlic powder, onion powder, spike ad a little black pepper on the chicken can't wait to try it.  The 1st one was awesome.

I used some of it for lunch I got this recipe from Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Get Real Meals 

Caesar salad to go  4 servings

2 romaine lettuce hearts
1 roasted whole chicken or 1 lb cooked jumbo shrimp
4 heaping Tbsp reduced-fat mayo
1 garlic clove, crushed
zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp of anchovy paste(optional but tastes better with it)  (ings on mine anchovies, olive oil, salt)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiana-Reggiano (for LDL fat free Parmesan cheese and I cut it in half to 1/4 cup)
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp coarse black pepper
3 tbsp EVOO
**I love fresh tomatoes so I added a slice into each lettuce taco

Cut the bottom off the romaine lettuce and wash and let drip dry.  Cut up the chicken into sliced pieces or prepare shrimp by removing tails.  This all can be packed for a picnic at this point you can even pick up a roasted chicken at grocery store in route.

Make dressing by putting all reaming except EVOO into a blender and turn it on. steam the EVOO in through the lid.  When the dressing is combined, use a spatula to remove the thick dressing into another portable container.

To assemble spread some dressing onto a lettuce leaf.  Fill the leaf with sliced cold chicken or a large shrimp, like a lettuce taco. and eat. 
......Image

turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

That recipe sounds awesome!  I have never bought anchovy paste before.  Where is it at the grocery?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.
julybug

Post by julybug »

Of course the dark meat was eaten by the skinny people in the house I never liked the dark anyway.

Also the anchovy paste can be found close to canned tuna or calms etc.  I think there was only one brand at my store but it was a LDL friendly kind.
Last edited by julybug on August 9th, 2009, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
......Image

turkkm
Master Member

Post by turkkm »

I found anchovy paste for the first time.  ....and I though I knew the grocery store pretty well, lol! 
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageFor we walk by faith, not by sight.