Sweetpea's Burrito Soup

All our yummy soup recipes!
Sweetpea

Sweetpea's Burrito Soup

Post by Sweetpea »

First of all... I am new to this, so if I am repeating an already existing soup I apologize.

I've been doing LDL less than a week and the other night I was craving something creamy and yummy for dinner. The soup recipes on here sounded great, but I didn't have all the ingredients.. so I went to my cupboard and this is what I had.. and used to make my soup.

1 16 oz. can of Great Northern beans (pintos would be great, but I didn't have any)
1 6oz can of V-8 juice
1 tsp of Taco Seasoning
1 C. Diced Tomatoes

I simply used my potato masher to PARTIALLY mash the beans (you want come chunks) put it in my little pot, added the v-8, the diced tomatoes and the taco seasoning, simmered it over med. heat for about 15 mins and it was ready to eat!

FAST, EASY and only 4 ingredients...
If you want to make it for more than one person (this was only 2 bowls worth) simply double or triple the recipe.

TIPS FOR TOPPINGS:
Craving sour cream? blend up just a little bit of ff cottage cheese and put a little dollop on top.
or, use a slice of ff borden cheddar on top...

PS:I'm gonna put a few black olives on mine next time!
If you meet me and forget me, you have lost nothing, but if you meet Jesus Christ and forget Him, you have lost everything!

Sweetpea

Re: Sweetpea's Burrito Soup

Post by Sweetpea »

:blush: oops.. I have a confession to make..
This was indeed a 5 ingredient soup. I forgot to list that I put a Cup of frozen corn in. Sorry.
Gee, I guess you could brown some Turkey, Chicken or lean Beef for this too... but as I said, I was in a hurry and only had a few ingredients.. I promise, it's good just like it is.. but if you want something hardier, add meat!

Thanks for your patience with a newbie!
Last edited by Sweetpea on August 19th, 2009, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you meet me and forget me, you have lost nothing, but if you meet Jesus Christ and forget Him, you have lost everything!

crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

sweetpea -- that sounds so easy and good.  just the type of recipe busy people need!
MissBizzyLizzy
Master Member

Post by MissBizzyLizzy »

that does sound yummy but instead of using a taco seasoning packet...i would use some chili powder and cumin. i bet the taco seasoning had some sort of sugar in it.  just sayin'  ;)
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Way to keep things honest there Lizzy:-). (Insert thumbsup emoticon here)

Blessings,
Julie (Who wanted to boost this soup to the top so as not to lose it and encourage Lizzy at the same time)
Sweetpea

Post by Sweetpea »

Thanks for reminding folks they SHOULD check their labels... but my taco season was completely sugar free.  :thumbsup:

Victoria

Post by Victoria »

Sweetpea,

What brand of taco seasoning did you use that doesn't contain sugar?  I can't find one at my grocery store that is sugar free.

VickiLynn
rodie

Post by rodie »

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix

Supplies

6 teaspoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons cumin
3 teaspoons onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Instructions

Combine all ingredients. Mix well.
Place in a storage container with a tight fitting lid. Seal well.
Store in a cool, dry place for up to six months.
Makes 21 teaspoons. Approximately 7 teaspoons of the mix equal a 1.25-ounce package of purchased taco seasoning mix.

Don't know if this is on the board somewhere.but I found this recipe on the net

Rodie :)
bamaluvr

Post by bamaluvr »

This sounds really good......Sweetpea welcome to LDL.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0ZxQHp/]

May 12 Fibromyalgia Awareness Day
Sweetpea

Post by Sweetpea »

Well Vicki... I'm a little confused... because the packets of Taco seasoning say 0 grams of sugar, but when I went bck and looked again to answer your question the ingredients listed sugar... even tho it says 0 grams. SOooooo, I will use the above recipe so I don't get even a trace of the naughty stuff! Thanks for helping me out! (btw, it is Ortega that lists 0 grams, but lists sugar in the ingredient list).