Is this awesome snack legal? Food police please comment

The place to go if you have a question that needs answered!
yoyodieter

Is this awesome snack legal? Food police please comment

Post by yoyodieter »

Hello all
I was getting some groceries this morning and was starving!!( not a good idea to get groceries in that state) but.... I stumbled upon
" Sun-Rype  fruit to go crisps "
These are packaged in 60 g packets.
Nutritional facts as follows/ 1 cup: 100 calories, fat 0g, Sodium 100mg, Potassium 210mg, carbohydrates 25 g ie: Fibre 3g, sugars 14 g, protein 0.5 g.
It says that 100% fruit no added sugar- only the naturaly occurring sugars in the fruit. The ones I tried were " crunchy cinnamon apple"

They almost have the shape and crunchiness of corn chips. The other flavor I saw was " apple peach".
These I had to buy and satisfied my urge to get stuck into the grocery bag in the car on my way home. They are simple to die for!!
Please comment- these were definitely not as sweet as normal dried fruit is- being apples only.
CodingQueen
Master Member

Re: Is this awesome snack legal? Food police please comment

Post by CodingQueen »

Hi yoyodieter,

I know all too well what it's like to go shopping on an empty stomach.

Listen, do a search on our website called Dried Fruits vs Fresh Fruits. I think after reading that article you'll under what Roger was trying to explain to you.

Also, we are wishing you the best here at LDL and hoping that we can help you every step of the way to lose weight. Trust me, you'll probably find more friends here than you'll ever find in a lifetime.

CQ
tprouty
Master Member

Post by tprouty »

Hi Yoyo

I found Brothers All Natural Fruit Crisps (asian pear and fuji apple) at Costco. They are freeze-dried chips of apple and pear, no sugar or any other additives. Each snack-size bag is 40 calories, and is approximately the freeze-dried equivalent of 1 1/2 fruits.

They aren't a lot of calories, but there also isn't a lot of substance there. You can easily polish off a bag in a minute or two, leaving you wondering what to eat next. They ARE fresh-tasting and crisp. But they don't fill the tummy nearly as much as the whole fruit would, with all the lovely juices still intact.

SO.......if you are REALLY craving the crunch of a chip, or want something special for a dessert, I might use this kind of thing RARELY. I would still be very careful that the extra sweetness doesn't give you a taste for sweeter things, though. I've found that things that are sweeter than whole, natural fresh fruit, if I eat more than a small amount OCCASIONALLY, makes me crave sweeter things. That goes whether they are splenda sweetened, or sweetened by concentrated natural flavors.

It is really nice to see the food industry putting more things out there with no chemicals or sweetener -- but whole, natural foods, the way God made them, are still the best way to go, by far.

Best of luck in your journey.
Terri
Joyful Friend
Master Member

Post by Joyful Friend »

Nothing is better than fresh fruits in my opinion.  I just never knew that I could have so many and still lose weight.  Just to think that I have deprived myself for years.  Today, I had a DKG meeting.  I was on the committee for brunch food.  I fixed a big punch bowl of fresh fruit.  It looked beautiful and even tasted more.  Very little was left.  The honey do melon was as sweet as honey.  The pineapple, grapes, strawberries, oranges, watermelon, and cantaloupe were also great.  Not only did my taste buds get satisfied, but also my sensory.  I wasn't even tempted to take a muffin-did have a little egg casserole.  Took the one that had mushrooms.  Make sure you are full before shopping and you will save money and weight.  Good luck with LDL.  I think it is a way of eating that will end your yo yo.  It's an answer to mine.  Forever Friend
Renee

Post by Renee »

Ok, question then, if you should abstain from dried fruits, what would be a "legal" snack that is work friendly the does not need refrigeration. I am surrounded by people eating candy at work. (it is work and I can not just pop out a apple or banana and eat it at my desk) Thanks for the input.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbQsIds/]
crickadoodle
Master Member

Post by crickadoodle »

Just curious -- why not?  If you can eat dried fruit or snacks, why not fresh fruit.  They don't need refrigeration.  Would you just not rather do that because no one else does? 
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Hi Yoyo and welcome,

Well, I send my hubby a lunch to work every day and slice his apple up so he can eat it easily. He won't take really juicy stuff because of the mess, but sometimes I peel and section an orange, send grapes or cherries (when they are in season and in our yard  :D. Fresh pears go in his lunch when I have them on the tree, too. I just core and quarter them and add an extra napkin. This will work.

Maybe Crick is right, it's just uncomfortable because no one else is doing it. It will be worth it when someone says, "Hey, haven't you lost weight?" Then you may start a new trend.

If you really want to be less obvious, tuck the sandwich bag with your fresh fruit in the top drawer of your desk and eat it one slice at a time.

This time of year, apples aren't nearly as nice as when in season. I learned a trick during my square-dance years: slice apples, leave the skin on. Put in a sandwich bag with about a tablespoon lemon juice (more or less, depending on how many apples.) Put a pinch of dried mint flakes on, twist tie it down and shake it around. The lemon juice will keep the apples from turning brown and the mint really gives these cold-storage guys a boost.

Blessings,
Kathy
CodingQueen
Master Member

Post by CodingQueen »

KathyPrulhiere,

Thanks for the tip. I never thought about using mint.

CQ
lulu65

Post by lulu65 »

If you look in the fruit and veggie section of almost any grocery store you will find little packages of apples sliced up ready to go...  you can do this yourself.. there is a product to put on the fruit to keep it from discoloring... (If budget is not a problem buy the package prepared ones)..Fruit Fresh I think it is called (ascorbic acid with just a pinch of dextrose)..and basically it is another version of lemon juice which I use at home.
The chip you spoke of yoyodieter has 14 g of sugar.. that is quite high.... an apple only has 21 g carbs ..and you get the fiber in there too..
lifegoeson24n7

Post by lifegoeson24n7 »

I slice apples, then dash a bit of lemon juice so they don't brown.  They will keep most of the day like that especially if you have a lunch bag with an ice pack.

Grapes work nicely as a snack too.  Or a couple of Corn thins.  Or popcorn.  Carrots and celery pack well.  Also turnips, parsnips, or jicama root.  Just slice them and put in a baggie.

--Jill
If you fall off the horse, climb right back on!
Renee

Post by Renee »

I can't eat fruit at my desk, it has nothing to do with whether I want to or not, it has to do with whether I want to get caught or not.  Dried fruit is easy to hide and nothing remains.  I don't mine food police but when someone asks a genuine question, it is VERY discouraging when you put it back on that person "not wanting to follow the rules".
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbQsIds/]
KathyPrulhiere

Post by KathyPrulhiere »

Hi There Yo,

Sorry if we misinterpreted your question. Did not mean to offend. :rose:

If your office doesn't allow you to eat at your desk, then that's that.  :sad: Hope you find something that works.

Blessings,

Kathy
LovinLDL

Post by LovinLDL »

Hi Renee,

I know when I first started LDL, even every now and again now (mostly when I'm trying to stay awake late at night while traveling) I would chew sugar-less gum.  And, I'm thinking if you only had a piece or two here and there (just enough to get past the craving) there are plenty of sugar-free hard candies out there that would work for a time.

The goal would be to get you past the point (and it will happen one day not too far off if you stick with LDL) in which others eating all that stuff doesn't even bother you.  Just keep eating lots of fruit and all the LDL foods each time you are hungry until you are full.  The cravings will go and you won't need snacks at your desk.

Keep on keepin on!

Blessings,
Julie (who is thinking the Ranch Bash will need a punch bowl like Joyful Friend's)